Topic poll

“Who Wants A 1975 Gottlieb Atlantis Playfield?”

• Yes! Yes! Put me down for one! 35 votes
    57%
  • Cool! I'll Buy Two! 1 vote
    2%
  • Getting 3 is my Limit Man! 1 vote
    2%
  • Sorry, I Just Can't Do It Right Now, but you guys carry on without me. 24 votes
    39%

(61 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P_20170127_165256 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_165220 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_165122 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_164839 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_164755 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_164741 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_164539 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
CPJbwU1WcAEcICF (resized).png
rat fink (resized).jpg
rob atlantis (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pocketscience.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#111 8 years ago

Put me down!

3 months later
#115 8 years ago

Are people paying for Atlantis now? I sent Wade a message mid December asking if he wanted some $$, but all he said was that Gold Strikes was done, and Knock Out was about to start...

1 week later
#123 8 years ago

I got hold of Wade yesterday, he's obviously been very busy, and admitted he'd had a lot of interest in Atlantis recently. I'll paste a generic note he's sending out below - there's nothing we don't already know. He did confirm that payment at this stage wasn't required - I was more than happy to put $$ in his hand but he said there's "no need to worry about money yet".

===
thanks for writing about Atlantis, I have added your name to the
list. I will send out a notice in a few months after I finish up Knock Out.
At that time, I will ask for voluntary deposits which will secure
your playfield. The amount is up to you but most people send half and some just pay
in full. The price will be 700 shipped.
The boards will not be available until late spring so there is no hurry to send
any money yet.
thanks,
Wade
===

#129 8 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Looks very nice. Hope mine turns out that nice. It'll get the playfield swap this year and the cabinet restoration later on. It has tanning, probably from cigarette smoke.

Mine has same. Suggestions for removal? A little alcohol and elbow grease seems to move it but I'm not sure if it's safe to go all out using this...?

#131 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I've used Mean Green to remove smoke tar from EM cabinets before without taking away the artwork. It seems a little less aggressive against the paint than alcohol. Even still, test it in a small location first.

Thanks!

2 weeks later
#153 8 years ago
Quoted from ibuypinballs:

Placed a deposit on two Atlantis playfield. Wade strongly suggested to pay for in full or place a deposit on them. Not hording, one is for a friend.

When did he say this? I asked him multiple times and he said not to worry about money yet. I've never bought from him before so am thoroughly confused now...

#156 8 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

I received an email from him that said:
"Here is the paste in of my generic reply about Atlantis. I've been getting flooded with emails about this title. You won't miss out and there is no need to send any money yet. I won't be starting these for several months.
I will send out a notice in a few months after I finish up Knock Out. At that time, I will ask for voluntary deposits which will secure your playfield. The amount is up to you but most people send half and some just pay in full. The price will be 700 shipped. The boards will not be available until late spring so there is no hurry to send any money yet."
He's a good guy... I'm sure he's good to his word.

Thanks - I got the same from him.

2 months later
#175 8 years ago

Awesome news - thanks!

4 weeks later
#182 7 years ago

Got a message from Wade today - he's working on Atlantis right now gluing inserts. Yay!

2 weeks later
#183 7 years ago

Couple of updates Wade has posted recently...

5/19 update. all the inserts are glued in and all the backside drilling is completed.

5/29 update. inserts are all leveled and I will begin sealing the boards and prepping them for printing. I expect to start printing in 7-10 days.

1 month later
#186 7 years ago

atlantis-progress_(resized).jpgatlantis-progress_(resized).jpg

#191 7 years ago

He needs to do the clear and then a few last drill holes. Really hoping mine will be in northern CA last week of July when I'm there. Wade seems confident of that.

2 weeks later
#212 7 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

When will we be contacted to make payment? Or did I miss something?
Is there a reason to clearcoat these? I have heard that Wade screens two coats of some sort of clear? Is that enough?
Also, what about the inserts; are they thicker or somehow less prone to cupping than the originals? Just wondering.

I asked Wade about this recently and he doesn't recommend clearing over the top of what he does. This is what he said:

===
I screen on 3 layers of clear lacquer for protection. I don't recommend spraying on clear because it will clog up the star inserts. My clear is pretty thin compared to spray on, much more like an original finish.
===

Having recently had an EM PF clear-coated I won't ever do that again...

#214 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

if we ever found a game with 15k on the play meter, the pf would be near mint. so i always believed what wade does would enough protection in a home environment. i doubt i would ever put 10k games on any one game. we tend to take care of them better then the operators did so i am in the camp of no 2PAC on wades pf's
i have seen wades pf's clear coated. they looked good so it is up to you if you want to spend the extra money. i don't wade was saying 2pac would damage the pf i think he was saying it isn't needed.

There's no suggestion on damage although his comment on the star inserts is totally true. I sent a PF off to be cleared and it came back with the inserts almost completely full. I still haven't fixed it completely.

Totally agree on the number of games.

Anyway, back to dreaming about my new Atlantis PF and the fun doing a swap over!

3 weeks later
#258 7 years ago

Got mine. It's beautiful!

1 month later
#293 7 years ago

I started mine last weekend.

2 weeks later
#300 7 years ago

Hit a snag with mine. Sample machine, so has different flipper mechs (uses the thicker shaft ones like Surf Champ etc). Holes on new PF too small. Drill out new PF or try to source and retro fit, including changing wiring layout to match production config? Wade has suggested maybe trying to fit thinner diameter flippers to the existing mech. Anyone done that?

Also is anyone putting mylar protectors under the pops? Wondering whether wax alone will be enough..

Cheers,

PF-repro (resized).jpgPF-repro (resized).jpg

#303 7 years ago

Thanks guys. I keep flip-flopping between just drilling it (it's just a piece of timber I keep telling myself) and keeping it as it left the factory in terms of mechs. Parts are a pain as I'm in Australia - there's nothing available locally from my asking around so far, so I might have to resort to importing. Unfortunately I really wanted this one up and running for my wifes 40th in a couple of weeks. Unlikely now unless I just bite the bullet and drill... :/

It's really put a damper on my enthusiasm.. :/

#307 7 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

how much larger does the hole need to be? if you could drill it out without damaging the art. after thinking about i would go for it. i would seal the drilled edge with some poly. keep us updated.

Not much - only ~5mm or so. I've only got a small drill press, so the PF won't fit under it. Will have to go for it with the hand drill and make a jig to keep the drill centred. Woodworking not exactly my forte, so any other bright ideas gratefully accepted!

#311 7 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Put painters tape around the edge of the hole and cover the hole with the tape, may help with splintering. The faster the drill can spin, the cleaner the cut would be. Fresh bit. You mgh consider an electric drill too. Drill from the top of the pf down.

Thanks re painters tape - good tip! Also something (a block of timber) on the back to stop splintering when the drill exits seems like a good idea. When I said hand drill I actually meant electric, although I do have a very old hand drill that my grandfather had... must be 50 years old now at least.

#316 7 years ago

Jeez... was your comment earlier about burning paint some sort of premonition..? That sucks man.

1 week later
#317 7 years ago

My problem with the flipper holes worked out well. I eventually went with a small step drill as I initially thought that if I started the hole it might help the final drill, but then the step drill seemed to work so well I used it all the way - it stayed perfectly centred without a jig and did a great job of not tearing the entrance or exit. Not exactly traditional, but the results were great. I'm almost done now, just a few remaining bits on the topside to install and I'll be ready for game #1.

#318 7 years ago

Game #1 now behind me! The only issue I had when I turned it on was that after starting a game it was constantly adding 500 points. Easy fix, find the 500 point switch that was closed right? Nope, they're all fine. Noticed if the PF was up it was fine, but when I lifted the PF to lower it the slight twist of the PF would score 500 pts. Eventually tracked it down to the one of the outlane switches was shorting on the rollover frame. Slight re-adjustment and everything worked perfectly. Even better than before actually as I fixed a couple of other scoring issues the game had. Happy days!

Has anyone else finished their swap?

#321 7 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

glad to read you drilled the holes out keeping it with the original flipper arrangement.

Me too, it was the right choice. I'm really done now. I rebuilt the chime box last night as it was completely screwed. Machine now plays and sounds like a brand-new one! So happy. I've pinged Wade and thanked him for his efforts (and tried to twist his arm on Strange World again). Can't believe the email thread I've got with him goes back over a year now... how time flies!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pocketscience.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1975-gottlieb-atlantis-new-playfield-production?tu=pocketscience and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.