Topic poll

“Who Wants A 1975 Gottlieb Atlantis Playfield?”

• Yes! Yes! Put me down for one! 34 votes
    58%
  • Cool! I'll Buy Two! 1 vote
    2%
  • Getting 3 is my Limit Man! 1 vote
    2%
  • Sorry, I Just Can't Do It Right Now, but you guys carry on without me. 23 votes
    39%

(59 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

There have been 93 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P_20170127_165256 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_165220 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_165122 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_164839 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_164755 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_164741 (resized).jpg
P_20170127_164539 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
CPJbwU1WcAEcICF (resized).png
rat fink (resized).jpg
rob atlantis (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 346 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from pocketscience:

Hit a snag with mine. Sample machine, so has different flipper mechs (uses the thicker shaft ones like Surf Champ etc). Holes on new PF too small. Drill out new PF or try to source and retro fit, including changing wiring layout to match production config? Wade has suggested maybe trying to fit thinner diameter flippers to the existing mech. Anyone done that?
Also is anyone putting mylar protectors under the pops? Wondering whether wax alone will be enough..
Cheers,

that sucks! i have both and I NEVER even thought about the sample mechs not fitting.
i would not drill the new pf. i would just convert it to the old style. you only need a few parts to do it. you might have to extend wiring i am sure. if i can help with parts let me know.

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that sucks! i have both and I NEVER even thought about the sample mechs not fitting.
i would not drill the new pf. i would just convert it to the old style. you only need a few parts to do it. you might have to extend wiring i am sure. if i can help with parts let me know.

I have a full flipper kit (non sample), including the mounting brackets, but not the coils. Let me know if you need/want it. I paid $100 for it shipped and would sell it for the same. Parts are all new.

#303 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I keep flip-flopping between just drilling it (it's just a piece of timber I keep telling myself) and keeping it as it left the factory in terms of mechs. Parts are a pain as I'm in Australia - there's nothing available locally from my asking around so far, so I might have to resort to importing. Unfortunately I really wanted this one up and running for my wifes 40th in a couple of weeks. Unlikely now unless I just bite the bullet and drill... :/

It's really put a damper on my enthusiasm.. :/

#304 3 years ago

Thanks guys. I keep flip-flopping between just drilling it (it's just a piece of timber I keep telling myself) and keeping it as it left the factory in terms of mechs. Parts are a pain as I'm in Australia - there's nothing available locally from my asking around so far, so I might have to resort to importing. Unfortunately I really wanted this one up and running for my wifes 40th in a couple of weeks. Unlikely now unless I just bite the bullet and drill... :/

how much larger does the hole need to be? if you could drill it out without damaging the art. after thinking about i would go for it. i would seal the drilled edge with some poly. keep us updated.

#305 3 years ago

Id just drill it. Not like your'e messing up the original one anyways. I seriously doubt you'd mess it up.

#306 3 years ago
Quoted from eh97ac:

Finally got to open mine.

Gotta love the "Throughly Tested" packaging. "Please Wade, don't thoroughly test my brand new playfield!"

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

how much larger does the hole need to be? if you could drill it out without damaging the art. after thinking about i would go for it. i would seal the drilled edge with some poly. keep us updated.

Not much - only ~5mm or so. I've only got a small drill press, so the PF won't fit under it. Will have to go for it with the hand drill and make a jig to keep the drill centred. Woodworking not exactly my forte, so any other bright ideas gratefully accepted!

#308 3 years ago

Put painters tape around the edge of the hole and cover the hole with the tape, may help with splintering. The faster the drill can spin, the cleaner the cut would be. Fresh bit. You mgh consider an electric drill too. Drill from the top of the pf down.

#309 3 years ago

Drill in reverse using a metal bit.

#310 3 years ago

Be careful, it could burn the paint. Scratch that idea.

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Put painters tape around the edge of the hole and cover the hole with the tape, may help with splintering. The faster the drill can spin, the cleaner the cut would be. Fresh bit. You mgh consider an electric drill too. Drill from the top of the pf down.

Thanks re painters tape - good tip! Also something (a block of timber) on the back to stop splintering when the drill exits seems like a good idea. When I said hand drill I actually meant electric, although I do have a very old hand drill that my grandfather had... must be 50 years old now at least.

#312 3 years ago

I had a bad day. Kubota m9540 burned.

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

image (resized).jpg

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Wow!

Hope no one was hurt or it would be upgraded to an awful day.

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

How'd that start?

#315 3 years ago

Grass fire at the rear hydraulics. Jumped backed on it and tried to drive it into the swamp. Wouldn't start, jumped off before this.

#316 3 years ago

Jeez... was your comment earlier about burning paint some sort of premonition..? That sucks man.

1 week later
#317 2 years ago

My problem with the flipper holes worked out well. I eventually went with a small step drill as I initially thought that if I started the hole it might help the final drill, but then the step drill seemed to work so well I used it all the way - it stayed perfectly centred without a jig and did a great job of not tearing the entrance or exit. Not exactly traditional, but the results were great. I'm almost done now, just a few remaining bits on the topside to install and I'll be ready for game #1.

#318 2 years ago

Game #1 now behind me! The only issue I had when I turned it on was that after starting a game it was constantly adding 500 points. Easy fix, find the 500 point switch that was closed right? Nope, they're all fine. Noticed if the PF was up it was fine, but when I lifted the PF to lower it the slight twist of the PF would score 500 pts. Eventually tracked it down to the one of the outlane switches was shorting on the rollover frame. Slight re-adjustment and everything worked perfectly. Even better than before actually as I fixed a couple of other scoring issues the game had. Happy days!

Has anyone else finished their swap?

#319 2 years ago

rob atlantis (resized).jpg

#320 2 years ago

glad to read you drilled the holes out keeping it with the original flipper arrangement.

#321 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

glad to read you drilled the holes out keeping it with the original flipper arrangement.

Me too, it was the right choice. I'm really done now. I rebuilt the chime box last night as it was completely screwed. Machine now plays and sounds like a brand-new one! So happy. I've pinged Wade and thanked him for his efforts (and tried to twist his arm on Strange World again). Can't believe the email thread I've got with him goes back over a year now... how time flies!

1 month later
#322 2 years ago

Could anyone share their parts order they placed prior to doing their Atlantis swap? I'm going replace all posts, lamp sockets, stand up targets(drop targets have already been replaced) flipper rebuild. Don't know the part numbers and I'm sure I'm missing a lot here. This will be my first swap and I don't want to frustrate Steve Young when placing the order.
Thank you

#323 2 years ago

You gonna tackle this one yourself, Rick?

#324 2 years ago

No, it's going to be done right. Just like the previous two.

#325 2 years ago

Anybody need a pf?

ebay.com link » Gottlieb 1975 Atlantis Pinball Machine New Reproduction Playfield

#326 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Anybody need a pf?
ebay.com link » Gottlieb 1975 Atlantis Pinball Machine New Reproduction Playfield

Yeah, but didn't Wade charge $700 USD, including shipping? This has a starting BID at $1200. ugh.

#327 2 years ago

Yep. That's what Wade charges. Saw that listing yesterday.

Seller is looking for >80% profit to flip the PF just a few months after it was released. Nice.

Not.

#328 2 years ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Anybody need a pf?

Quoted from OTTOgd:

Yeah, but didn't Wade charge $700 USD, including shipping? This has a starting BID at $1200. ugh.

Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

Yep. That's what Wade charges. Saw that listing yesterday.
Seller is looking for >80% profit to flip the PF just a few months after it was released. Nice.
Not.

Yea, I hear ya. I really hate those Rat Bastards who are just looking to make a buck.

#329 2 years ago

If the seller is on here raise your hand

#330 2 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Yea, I hear ya. I really hate those Rat Bastards who are just looking to make a buck.

I betcha its Rat_tomato

#331 2 years ago

It's not me.

#332 2 years ago

I'll sell mine for just $1100.00, so its not me.

#333 2 years ago

Truth is, I did sell one of my Atlantis playfields to a well respected pinsider today at cost. He's not gonna flip it. The swap on the other begins.

#334 2 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Quoted from pinhead52:

I betcha its Rat_tomato

I think he is more of a Rat Fink than a Rat Bastard.

rat fink (resized).jpg

#335 2 years ago

why does this surprise anyone? it happens all the time in this hobby. ebay has made it worse over the years but flippers have been turning profits for years. as long as there are buyers they will keep flipping...

CPJbwU1WcAEcICF (resized).png

1 month later
#336 2 years ago

I finished the swap on Electrocute's game. It turned out awesome! Thanks for making these playfields Wade.

P_20170127_164539 (resized).jpg

P_20170127_164741 (resized).jpg

P_20170127_164755 (resized).jpg

P_20170127_164839 (resized).jpg

P_20170127_165122 (resized).jpg

P_20170127_165220 (resized).jpg

P_20170127_165256 (resized).jpg

#337 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

I finished the swap on Electrocute's game. It turned out awesome! Thanks for making these playfields Wade.

Very nice! I just bought a full set of light sockets and planning on doing the swap soon.

#338 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballshark:

I have Wade's playfield, haven't done the swap yet, just opened the crate for a few moments to look at it. Looking at this, it is missing the pins that go above the wireforms in the bagatelle and the pin that goes under the elongated plastic on the return late to the right hand flipper. And I don't see a hole pre-drilled for them either.

#339 2 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

and the pin that goes under the elongated plastic on the return late to the right hand flipper.

that pin was only used on the sample run. then they enlarged the plastic and stopped using the pin. the hole was still there during production run but no pin installed. very common mistake, i see people all the time put the pin in.

the other pins you noticed missing are needed for proper game play

#340 2 years ago

Pinball shark that looks beautiful! I'd also like to know from people who have wades repro PF,s what, if anything,
They do/use to protect them? Anyone clearccoat them? Just wax? Any Mylar ? Etc..
(I have a Wade Sing Along PF that I will be doing a swap on)
Thanks, M

#341 2 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

that pin was only used on the sample run. then they enlarged the plastic and stopped using the pin. the hole was still there during production run but no pin installed. very common mistake, i see people all the time put the pin in.
the other pins you noticed missing are needed for proper game play

Only the middle two lanes (2/7 and 8/3) of the bagatelle have the pins. 6/1 and 4/9 do not.

It appears that Electrocute's Atlantis does not have any pins in the bagatelle, and I'm curious about its effect on game play.

Speaking of the matter, what is the purpose of the pins? Why do 2/7 and 8/3 have pins, but 6/1 and 4/9 have none? I checked IPDB and Sheriff/Lawman are the same way.

I'm interested in people's opinions because I have an Atlantis PF swap in my future; I might opt to not install these pins.

#342 2 years ago

Brady gave me the pins that are missing letting me know that they were missing on my original. Haven't installed them since the game plays perfect without them.

Didn't mean to post more pics, Sorry

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

#343 2 years ago

very very nice.

#344 2 years ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Brady gave me the pins that are missing letting me know that they were missing on my original. Haven't installed them since the game plays perfect without them.
Didn't mean to post more pics, Sorry

Did you tumble the rollover switches or are they new?

#345 2 years ago

I used the original rollovers. They were polished on a high speed buffer by hand. I also polished all the screws, lane guides and metal posts the same way. I've had mixed results with tumblers because of the varying degradation of the metals. Some things turn out good, some don't. I prefer to do it by hand so I can give each piece the attention it needs while I'm polishing it and ensure the best result.

Thanks for the props everyone, I appreciate it.

2 months later
#346 2 years ago

Anyone have an extra of these kicking around?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,000 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Woodbury, MN
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Mateo, CA
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 10.00
Cabinet Parts
Flashinstinct
$ 2.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 29.95
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 86.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 34.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 94.00
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
There are 346 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 7.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside