IMG_2507 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2477 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2502 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2474 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2420 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2484 (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Hello all,

I recently picked up a project 1975 Gottlieb El Dorado wedge head that a customer would like to have restored. This is the first EM machine that I have to repair to get it working. My two prior EM games worked perfect and never needed repairs! Solid state games are no problem for me, but I have very little experience with EM machines. I have done some homework by watching a few EM basics on YouTube, but I will need help from the experts here for sure! The game is complete as far as I can tell. The machine had no manual in it and see I have to order one from PR now instead of downloading the file at IPDB.

First, I would like to get the game to at least start and try to work before I start tearing everything apart. As of now, when the game is powered on, the playfield and backbox lights come on, but that’s it. The score motor does not move nor does anything else. I have tried to make sure no tilt/slam switches were stuck closed, the fuses are good and the fuse holders have continuity. I tried adding credits, pushing the start button, but nothing. I also made sure all of the coils were moving somewhat freely.

Second, I would appreciate any ideas for repairing the front of the cabinet. The game overall is decent, but the front looks bad with the missing layers of plywood... Also the game has lots of rust everywhere!!! Looks like the coin door was painted??? LOL! See pics! It’s going to take a bit to get this one completed.

Appreciate any and all help!

Thanks!

Rob

IMG_2420 (resized).jpegIMG_2420 (resized).jpegIMG_2421 (resized).jpegIMG_2421 (resized).jpegIMG_2465 (resized).jpegIMG_2465 (resized).jpegIMG_2466 (resized).jpegIMG_2466 (resized).jpegIMG_2467 (resized).jpegIMG_2467 (resized).jpegIMG_2468 (resized).jpegIMG_2468 (resized).jpegIMG_2469 (resized).jpegIMG_2469 (resized).jpegIMG_2470 (resized).jpegIMG_2470 (resized).jpegIMG_2472 (resized).jpegIMG_2472 (resized).jpegIMG_2473 (resized).jpegIMG_2473 (resized).jpegIMG_2474 (resized).jpegIMG_2474 (resized).jpegIMG_2476 (resized).jpegIMG_2476 (resized).jpegIMG_2477 (resized).jpegIMG_2477 (resized).jpegIMG_2478 (resized).jpegIMG_2478 (resized).jpegIMG_2482 (resized).jpegIMG_2482 (resized).jpegIMG_2484 (resized).jpegIMG_2484 (resized).jpegIMG_2502 (resized).jpegIMG_2502 (resized).jpegIMG_2507 (resized).jpegIMG_2507 (resized).jpegIMG_2512 (resized).jpegIMG_2512 (resized).jpeg
#2 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

when the game is powered on, the playfield and backbox lights come on, but that’s it. The score motor does not move nor does anything else. I have tried to make sure no tilt/slam switches were stuck closed, the fuses are good and the fuse holders have continuity. I tried adding credits, pushing the start button, but nothing.

If the Start relay (S) doesn't activate when you push the Replay button,
Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-big-shot-repair#post-6305153
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 1 year ago

Judging by the looks of this machine, there will be a lot of cleaning involved. For cleaning, I would start with the stepper units - especially the pivot points.

I'm with Howard, get the machine to start before trying to fix "everything" without a hint of what does and doesn't work. Figure out what does and doesn't work.

The door should be chrome colored, that one has been repainted. The legs look nice and bright. Don't forget the schematics when ordering the manual.

Keep us apprised - there's nothing more satisfying than getting an EM to work!

#4 1 year ago

Can you spin the score motor by hand? If the 24v feed is good the motor should finish the 120 degree rotation. If it doesnt... check 24v fuse

#5 1 year ago

Thanks everyone! I have made some serious progress!!! Thank you Howard for the bit of schematic. After reading what you posted, I realized the slam tilt switches are normally closed! Mine were open... DOH!!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/48699156@N05/52112543928/in/album-72177720299412589/

I have ordered a manual and schematic.

I'll put the playfield back in and see what happens next!

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Thanks everyone! I have made some serious progress!!! Thank you Howard for the bit of schematic. After reading what you posted, I realized the slam tilt switches are normally closed! Mine were open... DOH!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/48699156@N05/52112543928/in/album-72177720299412589/
I have ordered a manual and schematic.
I'll put the playfield back in and see what happens next!

You need a doner cab or a full restoration etc. I get cabs made for $400 but with shipping from Dallas no practical.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

You need a doner cab or a full restoration etc. I get cabs made for $400 but with shipping from Dallas no practical.

Who makes your cabinet's for you in Dallas? They do wedgeheads? I'm also just starting a restore on an El Dorado with similar cab issues.

#8 1 year ago

That cabinet is quite fixable. You can probably do this with a knife and sandpaper but a scroll saw and a random orbit sander will make life much easier.

Glue down any remaining loose layers. Clamp or weight it to make sure it stays flat.

Take a piece of paper and trace the outline of the missing section. Go to a hobby/craft store (or maybe a lumber company) and find some thin wood nearest to the thickness of the void. 1/8 inch:you could use craft plywood, If it is thinner you can get sheets of basswood in 1/16 and 3/32.

Use your tracing as a template and cut out a piece to fill the void. It doesn't have to be perfect. Glue and clamp (or weight) your new piece to the void area. Let dry and sand level. Top off with quality body putty to fill in between the edges. Sand smooth, prime and repaint.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucca Valley, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Placerville, CA
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Scottsdale, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1975-el-dorado-help-needed-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.