(Topic ID: 259236)

1975 Chicago Coin Top Machine Help (With a schematic!)

By Gnrwarkfc

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 49 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Gnrwarkfc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0FD2E6A5-3F7A-409B-9D8E-A0DE7A89CB61 (resized).jpeg
1D862C52-F3CE-42AB-B911-696492104DF0 (resized).jpeg
73B29AED-B9BA-4D9C-97B0-3F2F12B63B39 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
7B09E435-DAA4-42B3-877F-95D9B6111455 (resized).jpeg
62BD21DA-177F-4FA2-BA6D-8B3B8C2569F5 (resized).jpeg
F7988D4A-0F82-4874-8FC7-76D27DC3C2B4 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
pinball (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 4 years ago

Hello everyone! Firstly thanks so much to anyone who's already helped me on this machine prior. I'm brand new to EM pinball and I can't tell you the confidence you folks have already given me to fixing my own machine. Without your help I wouldn't be as far as I am already. Thanks so much.

I have several issues that have occurred in my game and I was curious if anyone could offer a suggestion.

1) (and I think I'll just start here because it's the most annoying) I have a loud buzzing sound that continues throughout all play of the game. I'm not entirely where the buzz is coming from but it's not like a hum or electrical sound. It's a purposeful buzz that typically in the game just sounds (I believe) when the ball rolls over the two rollover targets that changes points to 100 to 1,000 points during game play.

2) My game typically upon starting a game with kick out the first ball but will fail to kick out the next ball for the next game.

Here's my schematic. https://images.pinside.com/f/11/b5/f11b5fb1e63f1b7998e72535a1b7bad9d162ef9c.pdf

I'm super knew to this but I do have a deep desire to learn how to work on em machines.

Thanks so much for any information anyone could provide. How do I stop this sound!!

#2 4 years ago

Can you look inside and see exactly where the buzzing sound is coming from?

#3 4 years ago

You'll need to stick your head in and track down the buzz, then: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#buzz

#4 4 years ago

Thanks so much for this tip! I’ll do right when I get home.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

(I believe) when the ball rolls over the two rollover targets that changes points to 100 to 1,000 points during game play.

Hey, good timing with the ears.
From your statement here, it sounds like the buzzing is coming from something like an alternative relay.
The Relay is energized and hums when on 1,000 points, and off for 100 points. These Relays are
made to remain energized without doing any harm. With the playfield up, you should be able to
hear and see which relay is energized and making the buss. I think I have placed a small piece of paper
plate (the very cheap kind) between the plate and coil to reduce the buzzing..
What's the name of the game again, Top Machine?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Hey, good timing with the ears.
From your statement here, it sounds like the buzzing is coming from something like an alternative relay.
The Relay is energized and hums when on 1,000 points, and off for 100 points. These Relays are
made to remain energized without doing any harm. With the playfield up, you should be able to
hear and see which relay is energized and making the buss. I think I have placed a small piece of paper
plate (the very cheap kind) between the plate and coil to reduce the buzzing..
What's the name of the game again, Top Machine?

Chicago coin top ten

#7 4 years ago

I just checked your schematic link. From your description, I believe it's the "Change Relay"
that is doing the buzzing..

#8 4 years ago

It looks like it is Score Motor sw. C-1 that needs to be checked for the ball return problem.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I just checked your schematic link. From your description, I believe it's the "Change Relay"
that is doing the buzzing..

Would you say this under the play field?

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Would you say this under the play field?

It could be on the bottom board, but I'd say most likely on the underside
of the playfield..

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

It could be on the bottom board, but I'd say most likely on the underside
of the playfield..

Ok found the change relay . It doesn’t sound like that’s we’re the the sounds coming from. It actually sounds like it’s coming from the first player drum unit (score reel) in the back box. Certainly sound like that’s we’re the soundbis the most intense.

However with that said what does the schematic say what the switches should be doing? Closed or open on the change relay?

Thanks so much everyone!!

#12 4 years ago

Also I’d more than happy to take a video so you can hear that sound and where I think it’s coming from.

#13 4 years ago

Furthermore it really seems like the buzzing is coming from the relay coil on the 1000 point reel in the machine. I pulled out the reel and the bracket holding on the relay was super hot. Way more than the other brackets over the other relays on the score reels.

Thoughts?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

I pulled out the reel and the bracket holding on the relay was super hot.

Yea, you don't want that coil staying energized for long.
Seems the 1,000 point relay is staying energized which is also
in the head. Hard to believe it hadn't burnt out after playing
a full game. I'd find the 1,000 point relay, then next time you hear
buzzing, check if that relay is remaining energized, but I wouldn't
leave it energized for long..

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Yea, you don't want that coil staying energized for long.
Seems the 1,000 point relay is staying energized which is also
in the head. Hard to believe it hadn't burnt out after playing
a full game. I'd find the 1,000 point relay, then next time you hear
buzzing, check if that relay is remaining energized, but I wouldn't
leave it energized for long..

Can you tell from the schematic if the 1000 point relay switches are supposed to be opened or closed?

#16 4 years ago

Also what’s strange is the score reel cycles through and gets to zero and then the buzzing starts.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Also what’s strange is the score reel cycles through and gets to zero and then the buzzing starts.

You mean at start up?
Yea, my guess would be there's a stuck (closed) switch on the playfield that scores 1,000 points.
I'd check all the switches that score 1,000 points. There's also a spinner right? I wouldn't think
that it's not it, but might as well check and make sure the spinner switch is normally open..

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

You mean at start up?
Yea, my guess would be there's a stuck (closed) switch on the playfield that scores 1,000 points.
I'd check all the switches that score 1,000 points. There's also a spinner right? I wouldn't think
that it's not it, but might as well check and make sure the spinner switch is normally open..

It fixed the buzz!! I did have a blade out of whack on the outline!! Thanks so much

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

It looks like it is Score Motor sw. C-1 that needs to be checked for the ball return problem.[quoted image]

Any advice on checking c1 on the score motor? What’s the switch supposed to be doing?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Any advice on checking c1 on the score motor? What’s the switch supposed to be doing?

It looks like a NO (Normally Open) so check for proper gap and cleanliness.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#21 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

It looks like a NO (Normally Open) so check for proper gap and cleanliness.[quoted image]

Thanks so much. I hope I can type this next question clearly in a way that makes sense. How do I look at the score motor on my machine. Do I face it at the top of the machine by the flippers. I'm having a hard time knowing which direction I'm supposed to be facing to make it match the chart.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

How do I look at the score motor on my machine.

At rest, the "A" stack actuator is in the notch in the cam. Or count the switches. Or post a picture here.

pinball (resized).jpgpinball (resized).jpg
#23 4 years ago

So when I'm looking at the game from the front of the game (at where the flippers are) right in front of me should be stack A?

#24 4 years ago

No

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

So when I'm looking at the game from the front of the game (at where the flippers are) right in front of me should be stack A?

Re-read post 22. They also may be labeled.

#26 4 years ago

Ok I found it. It was already open so I took a file and started cleaning the switch. However it’s still not fixing the problem. Actually now when the game starts the ball doesn’t kick out at all. It used to kick out on the first ball and none on the other balls. Any other thoughts? Is It possible I don’t have it clean enough? Or is it possible there’s something wrong with the coil?

#27 4 years ago

Jumper it so it stays closed and see what happens. Likewise, you can put a piece of paper in so it stays open and see what happens.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from edednedy:

Jumper it so it stays closed and see what happens. Likewise, you can put a piece of paper in so it stays open and see what happens.

What does jumper it mean? Still in the process of learning all the lingo.

#30 4 years ago

Just hook one end to one solder tab and one to the other solder tab of the switch that you want to force closed.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

It used to kick out on the first ball and none on the other balls.

When you start a game, the ball doesn't kick out, but does the score motor run and keep running?

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

When you start a game, the ball doesn't kick out, but does the score motor run and keep running?

The score reel cycles through like normal and stops with no ball kicking out.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

The score reel cycles through like normal and stops with no ball kicking out.

It sounds like the Coin Relay is energizing the Score Motor, but the Outhole Relay isn't energizing at all.
You'll want to make sure the Bonus Unit is resetting all the way home and it's wiper has good contact
on its wiper board, and also the Outhole switches are making good contact when the ball is in its kick out
position and also a Make/Break switch is clean and adjusted properly on A2 Score Motor. A Make/Break
switch are three switches in the set where the center switch is either touching one of the outside switches or
the other. The Score Motor label may still be attached on the inside of the cabinet near the Score Motor stating
where the set of switches on the Score Motor cams are, and what the do.
Note: It's always a good idea to make sure the screws for the stacks of switches are tightened before
checking and adjusting..

2 months later
#34 4 years ago

Hey everyone thanks for the help on this. I’ve recently stopped working on this out of fear I was making the problems worse but now we all have a ton more time at home!

Any ways can anyone look at the schematic and see Whitehall switch controls the motor running? Now whenever I push for a new game the motor keeps moving cycling through without stopping.

Any thoughts?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Any ways can anyone look at the schematic and see Whitehall switch controls the motor running?

These are the switches that run the motor.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#36 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

These are the switches that run the motor.[quoted image]

Thank you! Judging from looking at this would you say these switches are on the cam?

#37 4 years ago

Only one of those switches are on the motor. The rest are on the relays indicated. For example, the one at the bottom of the picture is labelled "START RE" because it's on the Start Relay.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Only one of those switches are on the motor. The rest are on the relays indicated. For example, the one at the bottom of the picture is labelled "START RE" because it's on the Start Relay.

Ok great! I see what you guys are talking about. Question then on understanding reading the schematic. On here I see that it’s indicating that the switch needs to be opened and so forth but when I look at the relay I see up to four switches to that one relay. Does it mean they all need to be open?

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

but when I look at the relay I see up to four switches but when I look at the relay I see up to four switches to that one relay. Does it mean they all need to be open?to that one relay. Does it mean they all need to be open?

On a single relay they should all change state together. But you can identify which switch the schematic is referring to by checking the connected wire colors.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

On a single relay they should all change state together. But you can identify which switch the schematic is referring to by checking the connected wire colors.

What does change state together mean?

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

when I look at the relay I see up to four switches to that one relay

Quoted from HowardR:

Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

What does change state together mean?

Almost all relays have more than one switch. All switches on a single relay should change from open to closed (or from closed to open) together.

#42 4 years ago

Ok so I got the game to stop cycling but now the game won’t motor through at I got the start button (basically I push it and nothing happens.)

I’m suspecting the culprit is the “a” switches on cam one. I see that a1 is supposed to start the motor. Here’s a picture of the a switches,what they control, and what my switches like.

To me the outlet contacts don’t appear to be making proper contact.

What’s your guys opinion? Am I off the track?

62BD21DA-177F-4FA2-BA6D-8B3B8C2569F5 (resized).jpeg62BD21DA-177F-4FA2-BA6D-8B3B8C2569F5 (resized).jpeg7B09E435-DAA4-42B3-877F-95D9B6111455 (resized).jpeg7B09E435-DAA4-42B3-877F-95D9B6111455 (resized).jpegF7988D4A-0F82-4874-8FC7-76D27DC3C2B4 (resized).jpegF7988D4A-0F82-4874-8FC7-76D27DC3C2B4 (resized).jpeg
#43 4 years ago

For a switch to work 3 things are necessary:
1) When open, there should be a small space between the contact points (duh)
2) When closing, the long blade's contact point should push the short blade's contact point enough to move the short blade
3) The contact points should be clean, which they usually will be if #2 is happening

3 months later
#44 3 years ago

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is well and healthy. First thanks everyone for helping me. Is there a chance someone could help me?

I’m now in a situation where my Game has been down since December. Right now when I push the start button the motor doesn’t start to start a new game. Could someone look at the schematic and tell me which switch starts a new game?

https://images.pinside.com/f/11/b5/f11b5fb1e63f1b7998e72535a1b7bad9d162ef9c.pdf

Thanks anyone fir any information!

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Good morning everyone! Hope everyone is well and healthy. First thanks everyone for helping me. Is there a chance someone could help me?
I’m now in a situation where my Game has been down since December. Right now when I push the start button the motor doesn’t start to start a new game. Could someone look at the schematic and tell me which switch starts a new game?
https://images.pinside.com/f/11/b5/f11b5fb1e63f1b7998e72535a1b7bad9d162ef9c.pdf
Thanks anyone fir any information!

Ok update! I just adjusted c4 on the first cam and now the motor runs but it doesn’t stop. It just keeps going! This is progress! Any suggestions?

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

the motor runs but it doesn’t stop.

Which of these switches is keeping it running?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#47 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Which of these switches is keeping it running?
[quoted image]

First off thanks so much for always trying to help! To me it seems like A1 on the first cam. It seems like the smallest adjustment is what makes it turn on and unfortunately for me right now it doesn’t stop running. For what ever reason it has stopped again after another adjustment.

Now this picture of the schematic you sent I’m not sure I see where it is under the play field. I do see a collection of switches over a coil I believe that says start relay. Is this where I should be look as opposed to the cam switches?

I’ll send three pictures of what I’m talking about. Is

0FD2E6A5-3F7A-409B-9D8E-A0DE7A89CB61 (resized).jpeg0FD2E6A5-3F7A-409B-9D8E-A0DE7A89CB61 (resized).jpeg1D862C52-F3CE-42AB-B911-696492104DF0 (resized).jpeg1D862C52-F3CE-42AB-B911-696492104DF0 (resized).jpeg73B29AED-B9BA-4D9C-97B0-3F2F12B63B39 (resized).jpeg73B29AED-B9BA-4D9C-97B0-3F2F12B63B39 (resized).jpeg
#48 3 years ago

On the schematic, each switch has a legend that tells where it's located inside the machine. Each of those switches has a Green wire and a Grey wire attached to its terminals.

7 months later
#49 3 years ago

I’ve recently had something weird pop up. I’ve recently had the game serviced and it was working great. Sadly out of no where the game has started doing this thing where it’s like forever starting. The drop targets keep trying to re pop up. Any thoughts on what I should check?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1975-chicago-coin-top-machine-help-with-a-schematic?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.