View topic image gallery

IMG_0446 (resized).JPG
IMG_0445 (resized).JPG
IMG_0444 (resized).JPG
20170908_192140 (resized).jpg
20170908_192253 (resized).jpg
20170908_192154 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Of the many problems this new to me Star Pool has, the score reels are really busting my chops. Especially this little piece of work right here.... The 1000s reel is sticking and I cannot figure out why...

#2 6 years ago

I feel like maybe it's a bad coil?

#3 6 years ago

There shouldn't be power at the score reel solenoid until a point relay is energized. On the 1st player 1000 point score reel there are only three switches that send power to the score reel solenoid. Check the following:

1000 point score reel zero position switch - grey/black wire and black/yellow wire
Reset relay switch - black/yellow wire
1000 point relay switch - white wire

Make sure these switches are clean and adjusted properly. Also, check for any 1000 point playfield switches that might be stuck in the closed position...

#4 6 years ago

fredsmythson, thanks for the advise, I didn't see anything wrong with the wires but I forgot to check the playfield switches. I'm thinking I should also check the relay? I noticed there was one switch on the relay that was bent open and not making contact, so I adjusted it and now when I turn the relay on by hand it kind of flutters... Need to look at the schematic and see how it is supposed to sit I suppose...

#5 6 years ago

Switches.... Every damn time lol.... Wow I'm so embarrassed :p but I'm also a newbie so eh not too bad I guess haha now I wish I knew how the ball drain switch was supposed to look cuz it doesn't recognize a ball being drained at all and the switch action looks so weird... Also the inside lane that puts the ball back in front of the flipper triggers the ball kicker rather than the outside? Wonder is someone flipped the switches around somehow...

#6 6 years ago

If the ball is not kicking out to the shooter lane, I would first check the bonus unit. The bonus unit needs to count down to the zero position in order for the outhole kicker to work. Make sure the bonus unit is rotating properly. Manually operate the bonus unit to see if it will step up and reset smoothly. Make sure the bonus unit is fully resetting.

The outhole solenoid and the advance spinner rollover are in two separate circuits. Check to see if the advance spinner rollover switch is clean and none of the switch stack lugs are shorting...

#7 6 years ago

I will definitely check that rollover. I'm just confused as to how the ball drain switch is supposed to work... The rollover wire on it doesn't look like it is doing anything :/ thanks for your advise again

#8 6 years ago

When the ball lands in the outhole, it should close a switch under the outhole. Sometimes there are two switches under the outhole, and when the ball lands in the outhole, one switch will close and one switch will open. When the ball kicks to the shooter lane from the outhole, there might also be a rollover trough switch that briefly closes when the ball rolls towards the shooter lane. You can post a photo of the outhole switch, and we can see if there is an adjustment issue on the switch...

#9 6 years ago

Sweet, I'll do that when I get home after work!

#10 6 years ago

Okay... Sorry for the delay, I've been obsessively distracted with cleaning and adjusting my score reel switches. Which I need a new blade for an EOS and a coil for one reel. BUT here is what the outhole switch looks like right now...

20170908_192154 (resized).jpg20170908_192154 (resized).jpg

20170908_192253 (resized).jpg20170908_192253 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

20170908_192140 (resized).jpg20170908_192140 (resized).jpg

#12 6 years ago

The wire is in the wrong place on the switch. Here are some pics of my star pool. This is with a ball in the trough so the switch is making contact.

IMG_0444 (resized).JPGIMG_0444 (resized).JPG
IMG_0445 (resized).JPGIMG_0445 (resized).JPG
IMG_0446 (resized).JPGIMG_0446 (resized).JPG

#13 6 years ago

That's what I thought it was supposed to be like, but the way the switch was laying in the slot when I got it, I was afraid to fiddle with it too much... But what still confuses me is that the inlane switch that leads back to the flipper makes the ball kicker activate... Let alone all the other problems I am encountering... I still need to do a full sweep of switch cleaning

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-williams-star-pool-score-reel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.