(Topic ID: 2167)

1974 Williams Star Pool Backglass lights intermittently working.

By Toughgirl

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by pops21
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toughgirl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 13 years ago

Having an issue with the backglass lights on our Star Pool machine. Seemed ok for a few days after we bought it, then we changed all the burned out bulbs behind the backglass (with #47 bulbs) and we replaced the 5 bulbs behind the game title with #455 flashers. Also changed lots of playfield lights, everything worked fine. Later when I turn the machine on, the backglass is dark. Everything works and the playfield lights are fine, scores work fine, etc. I played it and got a free game (knocker banged) and the lights came back on! I was relieved to say the least. Turned the machine on and off several times, everything was fine. Then today I turned it on, no backglass lighting again!!
Could those 455 flashing bulbs be the cause of this? And has anybody come across a problem like this before? I'm a total newb, but I have done some electronics work before. Any help would be awesome as I'm just about ready to cry over this

#2 13 years ago

Ok, after an hour of leaving it on, the lights came back on. Didn't get any free games or anything, they just decided to work again (flashers and all). It would seem like once the machine warmed up they came on, but now I'm more confused than before. The game is in my house which is well heated. Again, any ideas would be great, doesn't seem like a major problem, just an aggravating one (which I guess they all are).

#4 13 years ago

I'll do that. When the problem started I pulled all the connectors back out and reinserted them, but it didn't help. But tomorrow I'm going to take them all back out and clean each and every pin to see if that helps. I was thinking of using some 600-800 grit sandpaper and just shining them up, unless there is a better option.

#7 13 years ago

I think the knocker was just a coincidence now. Since it did the same thing today without being played. Obviously it's a loose connection somewhere, but I wasn't sure about the flashing bulbs. I researched them before putting them in my machine, but I wasn't sure. This is really new for me and it's overwhelming at first (like everything) but as time goes on I'll start figuring things out I'm going to clean everything well tomorrow, and I'll check all the fuses and their holders, I'll scuff them a little as well if they look even slightly oxidized
And I appreciate your help guys, it's nice to have this forum and all of you that help. Think about the first machine you owned and how it looked like 100 miles of spaghetti under the playfield! Won't be long till I can talk the talk! I hope so at least because I have several other 60-70's EM machines that I want to restore when these are done!

#9 13 years ago

Well, one of you guys were right! Couldn't tell you which one since I did all of the suggestions. But whatever, she's running 100% now
First I did the fuse holder, pulled them all out and straightened the clasps. Someone had already replaced it before I owned it because it was too new looking. Anyway, it looks perfect now. Now for the plugs in the head unit! First off, that was a pain in the ass! The pins were indeed oxidized. I did the smallest one first with sandpaper, which was ponderous. It took a good 20 minutes to get them all shiny. So I came up with a way to do them fast and perfectly. I used a motorized manicure tool. It looks and acts like a dremel tool, but is battery powered and it's much weaker. It was made to shine finger nails so I knew it wouldn't harm metal. Each pin only takes 10 seconds to get new looking, where sanding takes a good minute or so, if your a perfectionist like me. This tool can be purchased just about anywhere that sells nail polish. I think I paid $10 for it, at best. And it comes with around 8 bits of different sizes. Just a little girl-tech fyi
Anyway, I'm super happy now!! Thanks guys!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 24.98
Hardware
Gameroom Mods
Hardware
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 37.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 9.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider toughgirl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-williams-star-pool-backglass-lights-intermittently-working?tu=toughgirl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.