View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
DC bonus circuit (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

On reset for a new game the 1,000 point score reels do not reset to zero for players 2 and 4. The game knows the reels are not at zero, the score motor repeatedly cycles and the 1,000 point relay is repeatedly actuated but the reels themselves do not move. When I manually reset the reels to zero the score motor stops and the game is ready to play. During game play the player 2 and 4 1,000 point score reels operate correctly. I don't have a schematic, any suggestions of where to look to resolve this problem? Thanks.

#3 2 years ago

On the reset relay in my 71 Klondike, the 1000’s switch—which as indicated in the schematic sends the pulses for the score motor up to the score reel—was definitely the culprit when the playfield scored but the unit wouldn’t reset. It appeared gapped and closing but needed a file-down to make strong enough contact to move the reel.

#4 2 years ago

Before adjusting or filing any switches, make sure that the switch stack screws are tightened.

1 week later
#5 2 years ago

I finally was able to attack the problem with your suggestions and the score reels reset as they should. Thank you!
Next question - The game always resets to a four player game even though I only hit the start switch once. The coin S.U. unit does not appear to have any effect on the game status. I'll manually adjust the S.U. unit but no matter what I set the game is always four player.

#6 2 years ago

The 1-2-3-4 lights at the bottom right of the backglass indicate the position of the Coin unit. Which of those 4 lights is lit?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#7 2 years ago

The display accurately reflects the position of the S.U. unit but it has no effect on the actual gameplay, no matter the setting, no matter how many times you hit the credit button, you always get four players. The lights indicate one player, or two player or three player but you always get four player.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

The lights indicate one player, or two player or three player but you always get four player.

There are other possibilities (just like real life) but most likely this wiper on the Coin Unit isn't conducting electricity where it needs to go. Connect the terminal with the Red&White wire to the terminal with the Blue&Red wire using an Alligator Clip jumper wire to test, or you might see what's wrong when you start looking at it.

#9 2 years ago

Another spot on suggestion! Thanks, now I'm down to one problem. The match step unit is not being energized,
what energizes that step coil for the match unit?

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

what energizes that step coil for the match unit?

#11 2 years ago

Thanks again, the relay was working fine but I needed to clean out the coil sleeve. Now it's time to see if I can get past 99,999!

#12 2 years ago

OK, I should know better...I jinxed myself. The bonus unit steps up as it should and steps down as it should but it is not sending a pulse to the 1,000 point relay. Any suggestions?

#13 2 years ago

Here's your bonus scoring path in red. One of these switches isn't closing.

DC bonus circuit (resized).JPGDC bonus circuit (resized).JPG
#14 2 years ago

After I examined the schematic I went back and experimented. I get the appropriate bonus points if either the double or triple bonus relays are activated. If neither the double or triple relay is activated I do not get any bonus points. As I look at the schematic, I can't determine what path the circuit takes if neither the double or triple bonus relay is activated.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

what path the circuit takes if neither the double or triple bonus relay is activated.

paulace hilighted it in his most recent post https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-williams-dealer-s-choice-score-reel-reset-problem#post-6321998

#16 2 years ago

Thanks, it was the impulse score motor switch C

2 weeks later
#17 2 years ago

None of the 10 point score reels are advancing the 100 point score reels when they pass the 90 point position. This is for all four players. I checked the 10 point score reels for all four players and the 9 point positions are all properly adjusted. I checked to 10 point score relay and the relay position that activates the 100 point score relay (1A) as it passes the 90 position is properly cleaned and adjusted. I put alligator clips on the relay just to make sure closure wasn't a problem. This seems to indicate that the problem is somewhere in the Player Unit Disc. The schematic indicates that positions 1 thru 4 are in circuit to to 100 point relay thru the 10 point drum unit through 9 position. Where would I look to find the break in continuity?

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

The schematic indicates that positions 1 thru 4 are in circuit to to 100 point relay thru the 10 point drum unit through 9 position. Where would I look to find the break in continuity?

Try jumpering 4 and 5 together.

#19 2 years ago

Jumping 4 and 5 results in player 1's 100 point relay advancing properly. What's the fix for getting all the player's scoring to advance properly?

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from shado01:

Jumping 4 and 5 results in player 1's 100 point relay advancing properly. What's the fix for getting all the player's scoring to advance properly?

Figure out why 4 and 5 aren't connecting through the wiper and disk.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-williams-dealer-s-choice-score-reel-reset-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.