(Topic ID: 242087)

1974 Williams Big Ben as a first machine?

By PinHollow

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by timtim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8148 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhollow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi all, I'm new here and still learning the etiquette so please forgive me if I'm in the wrong spot. I'm sure it's the same for you all, but it's been in the back of my mind since I was a kid that I'd love to own a pinball machine or two one day. We've recently bought a new house and I've got the space now so here I am.

Being my first machine I wanted to ease in with something inexpensive. Looking around I found a 74 Big Ben for sale in my area for $250. According to the listing, it's in working order and has a clean playing surface. it also has all new rubber and lightbulbs. The seller says the ten point relay is stuck and that there's a small crack in the tracking plastic. Apparently, they have the replacement part for that though.

Looking on IPD it seems to have mixed reviews. It's either the worst machine ever made or a fun old school table. I was hoping to get some advice here. Thanks, everybody.

#4 4 years ago

A rite of passage you say?! How could I possibly pass the opportunity to carry on a tradition with that in mind?

I would definitely like something with multiple targets and spinners like RonSS mentioned, but it's tough to pass up a machine in good shape for $250. I had anticipated maybe spending more like $1,000. This seems like it would be a cheap way to get started and learn how to maintain an EM system. Also, thanks for the advice on what the relay issue could be. Good to know thoughts from someone who has owned it.

I've reached out to the seller.

#7 4 years ago

Again, I appreciate the advice. I'm new to it all and still trying to get a bead on which EM games I should be keeping an eye out for. If this doesn't work out I'll be sure to look for single player games. There are a few SS games I'd love to get, but I just can't justify the price starting out.

I have no idea what high tap means...off to research a little.

#13 4 years ago

So you’re saying buying one is probably not an option. Let’s just not tell my wife that part. Haha

Unfortunately I missed out on this one by a couple hours. I’ve learned a lot in this thread though so thanks all. Guess I’m back on the hunt. Hopefully I can track down something worth buying for less than $1,000!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.98

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhollow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-williams-big-ben-as-a-first-machine?tu=pinhollow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.