(Topic ID: 207624)

1974 Gottlieb score wheels. Lubricate or not?

By Robotworkshop

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pipe cutter (resized).jpg
Decagon_PCB (resized).jpg
740B0195-FCCD-4EEF-811F-BA90794F8268 (resized).jpeg
B6D23E2D-4EE7-43AE-9C9F-58F33CB357F8 (resized).jpeg
EDE90D43-1C16-4962-8072-DA0DEDE08FDF (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Thanks for the responses. I wanted to ask first because of conflicting information online. It wasn't that I didn't look first. I thought it would be better to hear about the current best practices from those who work on EM games a lot. Some of the recommended YouTube videos where someone put a very thin layer of superlube on the score reel PCB before assembly. Some of the other sites I read just didn't mention it so it was an open question as to weather it should be done or not. I know firsthand that too much lubricants is a bad thing since someone had oiled most of the relay contacts on my machine before I got it. It took almost a week of cleaning to get the machine working again. I still have one other issue to track down about no scoring or chimes as it counts down the end of ball bonus. I heard it work briefly and am sure there is still a relay contact or two that needs some more cleaning.
So I am leaning toward no lubricants on the score wheels and will go with that.

The issue here is you people are talking about two different areas without being specific.

You are asking about the contact plate and wiper. That, in clay's guides he talks about putting super lube on the contact surface where the wiper travels. It fights oxidation and acts as a lubricant helping the motion avoid hangups. A stepper with no slop and a good spring should advance and reset without hangups.

The area most people are talking about when saying NO to lubrication is the shafts and sleeves. The actual shaft the wheel or plate spins on... or the ratchets and coils that advance the stepper unit. There, clean and fresh nylon sleeves work best. A rub of super lube on the shaft of a stepper where the plate spins itself isn't too bad if things are not smooth, but shouldn't by standard practice unless needed.. and shouldn't be needed on the mechs for the coils/ratchets. Super lube won't gunk up like the greases used in the past.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-gottlieb-score-wheels-lubricate-or-not?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.