• Latest reply 7 years ago by Otaku
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2836 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I'm currently restoring a 1974 Gottlieb Sky Jump. When I received it power switch had been removed, and I'm not sure what is needed to rewire one. I got a new one from Steve at PBResearch, and have mounted it, but when looking at the wires that are already in the vicinity of the switch I'm a bit confused. I don't know much at all about wiring and was hoping that someone could look at this and hopefully see exactly what is needed. Ive taken the picture below to show what is there, and when attempting to follow the wires I get a bit lost. Is there enough info in the picture for anyone to help? If not, what else is needed? Thanks in advance!

IMG_2836 (resized).JPGIMG_2836 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Red and black are all you need, they're currently taped together to bypass the switch. WARNING: OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE TO UNPLUG THE MACHINE FULLY BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!!

Just solder/connect one on each set of opposite terminals of the switch - I'm thinking the two "straight" ones should do it, I guess the other terminals are extras on the circuit of the "straight" one behind them?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Red and black are all you need, they're currently taped together to bypass the switch. WARNING: OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE TO UNPLUG THE MACHINE FULLY BEFORE DOING THIS!!!!!
Just solder/connect one on each set of opposite terminals of the switch - I'm thinking the two "straight" ones should do it, I guess the other terminals are extras on the circuit of the "straight" one behind them?

Sounds logical but I wonder about the two wires that are twisted together and soldered to the mounting plate. Should I leave these alone?

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Sounds logical but I wonder about the two wires that are twisted together and soldered to the mounting plate. Should I leave these alone?

Yes. Those are your field-ground, which protects you against shocks if there is a fault and voltage comes in contact with this piece of metal and this same wire runs to other parts. These run to the third prong on your plug if it has one. If not, well, it's useless for now (But you can fix that!)

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Yes. Those are your field-ground, which protects you against shocks if there is a fault and voltage comes in contact with this piece of metal and this same wire runs to other parts. These run to the third prong on your plug if it has one. If not, well, it's useless for now (But you can fix that!)

Thanks Otaku!
Also, it wasn't originally a three wire grounded system, but I've installed a 3wire plug and grounded it to the transformer. I'll be running grounding braids to the side rails and coin door - I've ordered the braid am awaiting delivery. Should I also run this braid to the plate?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

It wasn't originally a three wire grounded system, but I've installed a 3wire plug and grounded it to the transformer. I'll be running grounding braids to the side rails and coin door - I've ordered the braid am awaiting delivery. Should I also run this braid to the plate?

Test your continuity from the ground of the transformer where you installed your braid to the plate as-is. You should get a good connection. If not, then yes. The plate looks a bit dirty, etc., so that may affect your results.

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Test your continuity from the ground of the transformer where you installed your braid to the plate as-is. You should get a good connection. If not, then yes. The plate looks a bit dirty, etc., so that may affect your results.

Thanks Otaku! BTW: The wires go from one side straight connector to the front diagonal one. I guess you can connect two items to the one switch using both sets of connectors.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from crwjumper:

Thanks Otaku! BTW: The wires go from one side straight connector to the front diagonal one. I guess you can connect two items to the one switch using both sets of connectors.

Yup, that is what it's for just wasn't sure on which were which - surprised he doesn't sell one with just two terminals to better match the use in these machines especially for people with less electrical knowledge even if basic. Glad you figured it out.

#9 7 years ago

That worked. Thanks again Otaku!

#10 7 years ago

You're welcome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Santa Rosa, CA
1,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-gottlieb-power-switch-wiring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.