View topic image gallery

Playball Ball Count 2 (resized).jpg
Playball Ball return (resized).jpg
PB-Vari-Target-2 (resized).jpg
PB-Vari-Target-1 (resized).jpg
PB-Stepper-Ball Count-5 (resized).jpg
PB-Coin Mech-Front Plate-1 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

There was some discussion about this very circuit recently at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/playball-doesn-t-wait-for-flipper-to-shoot-ball-except-on-1st-ball. That topic might provide some insight into how it should work.

If your kicker keeps kicking it's likely because the Score Motor runs longer than it should, which repeatedly closes the Score Motor 2C switch that fires the Ball Return:
Playball Ball return (resized).jpgPlayball Ball return (resized).jpg
The other normally open switch in the Ball Return circuit is on the O/Ball Return Control relay which is activated when the ball drains and remains active until points are scored, so that switch is probably closed.

To figure out why he Score Motor keeps turning you need to check all the relays that can close switches that can start the Score Motor (W, E, P, S, etc.). It could be that either one of those switches doesn't open reliably, or that the relay that closes the switch is active longer than it should be, which keeps the Score Motor running.

/Mark

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from James-EM-Pin:

2. On the Ball Count Stepper, there is a missing jumper from two mushroom head pins. You can see the loose wire at the base of the cab. I assume I need to solder a new jumper wire between these two, right? (I clipped a jumper on it and it did not affect my main kickout issue)

These spring loaded pins are sometimes called snow shoes. They may be connected by the solid wire soldered between their sleeves but a flexible jumper soldered between these two pins would be more reliable. Fine solder wick works in a pinch. These two are likely represented by the symbol in the red box:
Playball Ball Count 2 (resized).jpgPlayball Ball Count 2 (resized).jpg
which is used after the last ball drains to award a replay through the match circuit.

#10 4 years ago

3. The Vari-Targets will not extend to the last position, the Home Run. There might be too much spring tension, yet the vari-targets are also sticky in resetting themselves. They move freely, so I am confused what to do to allow them to extend to the back easier, but also spring back nicely.

The Vari Target won't reach the Home Run when hit by the ball, or won't reach even if you push it back with your finger? Either way, if it's sticky you should clean both the contact board and the wipers. You should be able to push it back with your finger and have it lock in any position, and also have it completely reset if you push in on the relay armature that locks it in place. There's a video here: https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards-page-2#VariTarget

#12 4 years ago

if it won't spring back after releasing the coil, then maybe there is gunk in the mechanism I can't see.

If your Vari Target ever worked properly it's unlikely that the spring is bad. If it won't return under its own power it's more likely that there's some mechanical reason (dirt, grime, too much tension from the contact wipers, rubbing or binding against the frame, mounting bolt is too tight, etc.). Other Gottlieb steppers usually need about 4 turns of the spring for appropriate tension on a clean mechanism. Not sure about Vari Targets though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 25.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider markg.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-gottlieb-playball?tu=markg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.