4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DaMoib
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MissingUpperContact (resized).jpg
    image0 (resized).jpg
    image2 (resized).jpeg
    image1 (resized).jpeg
    DrelayRelease (resized).png
    bonusunitswitch (resized).jpeg
    image4 (resized).jpeg
    image5 (resized).jpeg
    image3 (resized).jpeg
    image1 (resized).jpeg
    image0 (resized).jpeg
    image2 (resized).jpeg
    #1 4 years ago

Hey friends. I have been hesitant to ask for help with this as I was hoping to figure it out myself, but with the combination of lack of knowledge and being locked in the house due to Covid here I am.

I have a 1974 Gottlieb Big Brave that I am having an issue with. I am going to follow the format in the stick to post the issue and information to avoid any crankiness toward me. Take it easy on me and I thank you in advance.

I have had the machine for a few weeks. As far as I remember the bonus did not stick when I played it at the family friends house I bought it from. The issue was apparent as soon as I moved it and powered it up.

The game came from a family friend that was really into EM's and does nice shop jobs on EM pins, and all the folks on here that he has sold pins to have had good experiences. He spent about an hour looking over the basic stuff before we all got locked down and we couldn't find anything that was OBVIOUS to him. IE an obviously loose wire or something disconnected. Plan was to come back over when he had time but you know... covid.

I do have a schematic but he is currently in possession of it. So it is not currently much help to me.

No strange smells, burning, or buzzing.

I do have a basic cheap HF multi meter. Not a pro with it. I can do basic soldering.

K to the nitty gritty.

Game start up fine. The bonus is triggered by the BIG roll overs, the drop targets, or the red roll overs. It doesn't ALWAYS lock the bonus. I have had time were I can hit B I G and a roll over and nothing. Sometimes one of the BIG roll overs will trigger it. The drop targets always seem to start the process, but before I shot the attached footage, with the play field up I triggered all of the switched including the drop targets and manually moved the bonus back to 0 several times before it would lock. The bonus will run all the way up to 15 and just keep on kicking. I will attach a video of the issue.

I can manually push in the bonus relay(D) and it will lock. I can manually pull it out to stop it although sometimes it resists(buzzes) and I have to try a few times. I can manually move the bonus motor both up and down with no resistance.

The only strange thing I found on the bonus motor is in the second picture. There is small jumper and I am not sure if it is just excess wire or if it could be going somewhere.

Here is video evidence.

Thanks again for any help you might be able to provide.

image0 (resized).jpegimage0 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage3 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage4 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpegimage5 (resized).jpeg
    #2 4 years ago

Check the operation of your "On Add Bonus Unit" switch (indicated in the picture). As a bonus is added, this switch should open and release the hold on the "A" relay.

If you open the switch during the bonus runaway, does it stop?

bonusunitswitch (resized).jpegbonusunitswitch (resized).jpeg
    #3 4 years ago

A 2B motor switch releases the hold on the "D" relay, check that switch out, too.

Does the machine have the same bonus lock/runaway behavior if you simply hold down the "I" rollover switch?

Another issue that could cause the behavior is a drop target, rollover or rollover button switch that is gapped too closely.

If your bonus lights are operating correctly, I don't think the extra wire on the disk of the bonus unit is an issue.

DrelayRelease (resized).pngDrelayRelease (resized).png
    #4 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I will check this today and follow up!

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from DaMoib:

A 2B motor switch releases the hold on the "D" relay, check that switch out, too.
    Does the machine have the same bonus lock/runaway behavior if you simply hold down the "I" rollover switch?
    Another issue that could cause the behavior is a drop target, rollover or rollover button switch that is gapped too closely.
    If your bonus lights are operating correctly, I don't think the extra wire on the disk of the bonus unit is an issue.[quoted image]

I checked the switch on the add on bonus, I don't think it was adjusted properly but doesn't seem to be helping or hurting the runaway bonus. The switch is now closed when inactive and opens when the bonus counts. I believe it to be correct.

If I hold down "I" roller over switch when the game is behaving it does perform the run away.

I will will try and take a look at the "2A" switch. Can you confirm the stack I have circled is "2A"?

Thank you again.

image0 (resized).jpgimage0 (resized).jpgimage1 (resized).jpegimage1 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpegimage2 (resized).jpeg
    #6 4 years ago

That's 1C, move clockwise one more switch stack (against the side of the cabinet) and down one level for the 2B switch. Match the wire colors to identify the correct switch.

https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#Gottlieb.C2.AE_Score_Motor

#7 4 years ago

It looks like the upper blade of your "On Add Bonus Unit" switch is missing a contact and definitely needs to be replaced. That might cause scoring problems when you activate a lit star rollover button (100 points plus bonus), but I don't think it can cause the bonus stuck problem.

MissingUpperContact (resized).jpgMissingUpperContact (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-gottlieb-big-brave-bonus-stuck-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.