You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

scan0004.pdf (PDF preview)
scan0003.pdf (PDF preview)
scan0001.pdf (PDF preview)
dolp.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrgifford67.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

dolp.jpgdolp.jpg

The above is not my machine, but the same type. Note the 3 captive balls w/ 3 orange rollover lights, in the center of the playfield.

Like the CCM Showtime, if you hit the 3 captive balls in the pockets, the "same player shoots again" light comes on for the free ball. The rollover lights outside the captive balls light up, as you hit each in the pocket. But, this feature stopped working. I've cleaned and check all relays, even changed all 3 pocket relay coils to be sure. No deal....

When it last worked, all 3 lights would blink at the bonus collect / countdown, and you'd get the free ball (same player shoots again). But now, it just doesn't work and the 3 rollover lights don't come on. I even cleaned a few contacts on the score motor, just for kicks. Each pocket has a relay (3) and the light comes on when you press them by hand, so I know the bulbs are good.

I have the schematic and manual, and have learned a bit by tinkering. Still, all seems fine and I see no reason why the captive ball feature shouldn't work. Otherwise, the machine works perfectly. The "same player shoots again" feature does work when you hit the higher / pre-set scores (65K, 76K, etc.), so I know the "extra ball relay" is working. You get the "same player shoots again" light on the backglass and by the flippers (yellow light). All this used to work when you got the 3 balls in the pockets. Until recently

I know the Dolphin or 4-player version (Showtime) are rare, but if anyone out there can help???? I'll be in your debt. Thanks......

#2 9 years ago

Part of the schematics, if it helps. This is also posted on the other EM forum.....

scan0001.pdfscan0001.pdf

scan0003.pdfscan0003.pdf
scan0004.pdfscan0004.pdf

1 week later
#3 9 years ago

Any help would be appreciated!!

#4 9 years ago

Still hoping for some input, thanks in advance!

#6 9 years ago

Thanks.......yes, that was a similar thread in the EM hangout forum. I appreciate your advice. I'm a novice at repairs, so your suggestion may be beyond my skills. But, maybe, and thanks again......

#8 9 years ago

Okay, I get the jumper. But I just don't understand how to get these 3 relays working. I don't want to mess with things too much, unless I'm sure what I'm doing. Maybe this is beyond my skills......Thanks anyway people

#10 9 years ago

CactusJack- thanks again for the advice. I was wondering how the Game Over relay, could be tied to these 3 relays. I did some quick cleaning of a few contacts there, but I didn't want to mess with it too much....as the Game Over functions work fine.

It makes sense now that you correct yourself. I've only had a machine since last August, have changed some coils, bulbs, had the playfield out, etc.. I'm no pro, but learning what controls what. I had a pinball guy do an initial tune up, since then, fixed things myself. He's too pricy anyway, and too far away. I'm learning how to read the schematic, but it's still a learning curve. Thanks for your detailed reply. I did clean a few contacts on the outhole relay, but it gave me a scare and didn't reset at first. Since the 2nd etc, just fine. I'm learning that these contacts are sensitive, so I'm cautious not to create a new issue trying to fix the current one

I'll take another look at the machine, taking your advice. I'll let you know. Thank you again!

#12 9 years ago

CactusJack- thanks for the tip on the book and for helping me FIX my machine

The normally closed contact on the outhole relay had a gap, so small that I couldn't see it even with my worklight. But when I manually pressed the relay, I could see they didn't touch. A slight adjustment and now all 3 relays energize and my issue is solved!!

Thank you again, I've made a small donation to pinside, in your honor!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jrgifford67.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-chicago-coin-dolphin-3-captive-ball-issue-1?tu=jrgifford67 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.