Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by leckmeck
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi all. Been playing my Indian a lot lately and ever since I did the restoration I have had a sticky drop target problem that I cannot seem to track down. When the ball doesnt land a hard direct hit on the target it will drop about 1/4 and stay there scoring. This happens with ALL the targets on and off. The stuck target will usually sit there and score until the ball drains or it frees up. It scores me points but basically ruins a fair game. (See video of the black key sticking)
I have unscrewed the whole bank and checked it but I have not taken it all the way apart. I remember it being a PITA. Does anyone know if maybe the reproduction drop targets are thicker or have a thicker leg on them cause them to stick? Let me know what you think or if there is a resource on taking these apart and the common problems associated.

#2 4 years ago

No issues with repro targets.

Two issues are possible.

1. If drops stick when actuated lightly while mech is pulled away from the game it needs a level of disassembly and cleaning. The unit needs no lubrication once fully cleaned and set back up properly. Set back up properly means all the proper parts in place and scoring switches adjusted if needed(which is uncommon). If drops actuate fully with little contact move to item 2.

2. The position of the drop target bank on the playfield can cause the targets to drag on their way down from contact with the rubber rings behind them. Look for this and, if binding, shift the mount of the bank slightly to create the clearance.

#3 4 years ago

I just dealt with this issue maybe a month ago on my Big Brave. What fixed it for me was cleaning the coil sleeve and plunger for resetting the drop target bank. As well the coil that resets the drop target bank can be adjusted in its angle. Mine was slightly off, leading to the plunger rubbing the coil sleeve at an odd angle, leading to drop targets that would not drop consistently. Basically make sure that when the reset bar engages it is able to return to its home position without friction. Let me know if you need a pic or video of mine functioning correctly for you.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from SwisherSurgeon:

I just dealt with this issue maybe a month ago on my Big Brave. What fixed it for me was cleaning the coil sleeve and plunger for resetting the drop target bank. As well the coil that resets the drop target bank can be adjusted in its angle. Mine was slightly off, leading to the plunger rubbing the coil sleeve at an odd angle, leading to drop targets that would not drop consistently. Basically make sure that when the reset bar engages it is able to return to its home position without friction. Let me know if you need a pic or video of mine functioning correctly for you.

So this is interseting, I am going to check this out. The post above yours is very helpful but I have looked real close to check the alignment of bank with the playfield and everything seems to be lining up and I can sit there and touch these things with a finger and they will snap down but you may have something here with the bar. I vaguely remember I had some trouble with that reset coil when I finished the rebuild on this. I am going to take a look at this guy tomorrow. Thanks will let you know.

#5 4 years ago

When the target drops, there’s a “finger” going through it that pushes on the switch that handles scoring. There is a lot of friction with this swiping action. If the backside of this switch is gummed up with old grease, the finger will drag too much and stop, leaving the target partially down and the scoring switch closed.

Unscrew the switch stack, clean the old lube off the switch, polish it with a wire brush attachment on a Dremel, add a drop of Super Lube on the blade, screw the stack down securely, and adjust the blade for good make-break action against the finger that actuates it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 8.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-big-indian-sticking-drop-targets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.