Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mjpin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 8 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
Pinball (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Hi all, have a 1974 Bally Delta Queen EM pin that I picked up last month. Set up for free play. Worked well and have enjoyed playing it. Only issue ever had while playing was the score wouldn't always 00000 out when a game was over and I hit the credit button to start a new game. That wasnt a big deal though cause I could power the pin off and hit the credit button again and it would always go to 00000 the second time and would play normally. If I didnt do that the game would play normally but not from 00000. Then I played a game and when it ended the game over light came on. I hit the credit button. Score went to zero but... the ball never kicked out and the game won't play. Any ideas what this could be? Me and the family are not happy campers with our only pin oos. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Note: When I turn game on all light are ok. Just cant get a ball and playboard is not live. I have a complete schematic as well. Just been a long time since I read one and I am seriously rusty. Thx

#2 1 year ago

Make sure the 0 position switches on all of your score reels are correctly adjusted and clean (especially since it was a prior issue) even though they are going to 0 physically, and make sure your bonus unit is resetting all of the way.

#3 1 year ago

Am also in NJ and appreciate the guidance. How can I tell if score reels are correctly adjusted? Is it possible that the not always zeroing out condition has led me to the current ball wont kick out condition?

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Mjpin:

Am also in NJ and appreciate the guidance. How can I tell if score reels are correctly adjusted? Is it possible that the not always zeroing out condition has led me to the current ball wont kick out condition?

Possibly, but it's best to work on one symptom (ideally repeatable) at a time. Does the outhole relay energize at any point in the reset sequence? I'm guessing not. And if that's right that the outhole relay isn't energizing, here's the circuit to diagnose. Do you know how to read pinball schematics, or can I offer more help?

Pinball (resized).png

#5 1 year ago

Could just be a dirty outhole switch as well.

What part of NJ? Maybe I could stop by sometime if you can't figure it out.

0 positions switches can be seen on the sides of the reels (they slide out when a little tab on each reel is pressed or removed), it will close when the reel is at 0 and be open on all other digits.

#6 1 year ago

My DQ is the most reliable pin in the lineup. Gameplay is good artwork is awesome.

The 9th position switch tells the next highest score reel to fire when it closes and the wheel his zero, the next reel fires once through the relay

#7 1 year ago

Thanks for all the help. Am in Hackettstown area up Rt 206. Used to be pretty good with schematics but that was early 90s. Haven't been into component level tshooting since then. The game is great and I'm looking forward to learning how it works and making her play like she did last week.

image (resized).jpeg

#8 1 year ago

I havent yet been able to get the ball to kick out but I manually tripped the Game Over relay to go through the sequence again. Hoping to find where the problem is. I hit the credit button, the score I manually put up zero'd out and the score motor turned fine but the ball still didnt kick out. Am wondering what triggers the ball out relay? Perhaps my problem is there?

image (resized).jpeg

#9 1 year ago

I also looked at the zero position switches on the scoreboard and all but one are closed. Hmmm with power on I closed that switch and no change.

#10 1 year ago

Hi Mjpin
HowardR in post-4 shows the wiring for the Outhole-RELAY and asks "does the Outhole-Relay pull" --- well, does it pull-in ?
The "green lines" he shows are "Initial-Current-Wiring" to make the relay pull-in. In the JPG "straight upwards (from the relay)" there is "Self-Hold-Circuitry-Wiring". Once the relay pulls: Through this "Self-Hold-Circuitry-Wiring" the relay stays active for a while to do its job.

Try - when it comes to "pin should kick the ball over to the shooter-alley": Manually activate the Outhole-RELAY --- does it stay pulling for a while ? - and does the pin kicks-out the ball ? Greetings Rolf

#11 1 year ago

Hi Rolph thanks so much for the reply. And to HowardR and Otaku too. My apologies for not being up to speed on pins. My Delta Queen is literally my first pin. Am learning so much each day and really appreciate the help. Will try to explain what I see a bit better. Hope I can get back in business soon as we miss the game allot. Back to the outhole relay. After playing a full game normally I hit the credit button and the game zero'd out but wouldnt kick a ball out or play. Thats been the issue as far as I can tell. Today I reset the game by manually closing the game over relay. With that done the credit button worked. I pressed the credit button and again it zero'd the score but wouldnt kick out a ball. So i manually closed the outhole relay shown in picture below and the motor kicked on and went through a cycle. During that cycle I could see cam#8 fire the ball kicker solenoid on the top of the game. Hope this is a better explanation. Seems as long as I manually trigger the outhole relay And hold it long enough the motor turns well and cam 8 fires the outhole kicker. Am still stumped but am getting closer with your help thanks!!! Also including info from schematic.

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#12 1 year ago

Also when I manually activate the outhole relay, I have to hold it because as soon as almost as soon as I let go of it, the motor stops.

#13 1 year ago

Heres a better picture from schematic

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#14 1 year ago

Just saw this... Reset relay. Looks like it got hot, melted a little. Hmm any chance this could be the issue?

image (resized).jpeg

#15 1 year ago

I can help you if you'd like to follow a step-by-step logical process to diagnose and fix your pin. Up to and including talking to you on the phone.

Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

@HowardR in post-4 shows the wiring for the Outhole-RELAY and asks "does the Outhole-Relay pull" --- well, does it pull-in?

We're still waiting for a reply to this question.

#16 1 year ago

One last comment for tonight just heard the kids were pushing the credit button while the game was being played not too long before it broke. In other words while playing the game when a new ball came out they were pressing the credit button thinking that would launch the next ball into play. Could that cause a problem?

#17 1 year ago

Thanks Howard I really appreciate the help! Sorry I didnt answer the question. I'm really new to this amd am trying to make sense of what I see. When I hit the credit button the motor turns but the outhole relay itself doesn't pull in at at all at any time while the motor is running.

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Mjpin:

One last comment for tonight just heard the kids were pushing the credit button while the game was being played not too long before it broke. In other words while playing the game when a new ball came out they were pressing the credit button thinking that would launch the next ball into play. Could that cause a problem?

It sure might have cooked that coil/ wire. That's the disconnect in generation because some modern pins have a ball launch button. Was this game recently purchased in NJ, I believe there was one sold by a guy who was in the Allentown Flea.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Mjpin:

When I hit the credit button the motor turns but the outhole relay itself doesn't pull in at at all at any time while the motor is running.

In that case, one of the 8 hilited switches in my post #4 isn't working or isn't being activated. Do you know how to find them from the schematic?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1974-bally-delta-queen-em#post-3763278

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Mjpin:

Very unlikely but it doesn't matter that much because the machine is what it is now and fixing it involves figuring out what's not working as it should. Over the years I've used a simple step-by-step approach to EM repair that's worked hundreds of times.

#21 1 year ago

Thanks HowardR, I see the highlighted area of the schematic but am not confident I can find the right ones. Are they all in the stack triggered by the cam on the score motor?

#22 1 year ago

The switch(es) labelled SCM and circled are on the score motor. The other switches have labels on the schematic to tell which relays they're on.

#23 1 year ago

I now understand how the schematic shows which switches are on which relays. Am thinking I should start at the top of the circuit in the schematic with the normally open outhole switch. Not sure how I can find that one. I see wire color noted in the schematic is that best way to try to find it? Thanks

#24 1 year ago

Hi Mjpin
in post-12 You wrote +/- "To tip-on the armature (anchor-plate) of the Outhole-Relay is not enough - it does not stay pulling --- but when I (You) press for a long time: Ball is kicked over", question: Is this my writing what YOU wrote ?

IF (if) "Yes": We must start the investigation on the COIL of the relay --- wires soldered-on on both sides ? Maybe we have to use Jumper-Wires to feed the coil to get information "Coil is dead" or "coil is alive".
IF (if) "No": Please write more about how long You push - more details. Greetings Rolf

#25 1 year ago

I started looking at switches in circuit that were on the ball index relay. Noticed the relay is shown in schematic as being closed but it was slighly open. So i closed it. Heard it open or close another relay by the game over relay and playfield came to life. I closed up the game, put the glass back on and have played through several games. Its playing through now. Hmmm does this make sense?

#26 1 year ago

Am thinking something may have fixed itself and I'll be oos again soon. Played about 10 games with no issues other than the flippers stopped working once during a game. Hit the button & flippers didnt flip.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Racine, MN
$ 21.00
$ 8.99
Lighting - Other
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
$ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
£ 49.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 34.95
Playfield - Plastics
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 1,000.00
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 50.00
Lighting - Led
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside