1973 Gottlieb Pro Football ball in play skips

By noiseprisoner

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hi All. I'm very new to the pinball hobby and recently purchased a Gottlieb Pro Football off Craigslist. It's in generally really great condition and works well, I'm having a blast with it. I've even fixed a couple minor issues already (one with a score reel not advancing and one with the football yardage not advancing). The last problem I'm left struggling with is that at seemingly random times during a ball drain, the ball in play number will advance by 2 or even 3, instead of just 1. It doesn't seem to matter which ball I'm on or what I'm doing...sometimes the problem doesn't happen at all during a game and sometimes it skips 2 or 3 balls, frustrating! The game is set to 5 balls. I've extensively checked out the O (Ball return), P (Add ball count unit), and Q (Ball return control) relays but they all seem to be well adjusted and working okay, at least as far as I can tell. I've also checked the scoring motor, specifically 4C, 3rd and 4th switches, pertaining to ball counts. These seem to be working well too. The stepper in the back that controls the ball in play also seems to be working fine, it steps up one at a time correctly and resets all the way down with no issues.

I do have a schematic but I'm still very much learning (and struggling) to read it. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can check to remedy this issue?

It's hard to get high scores when you never know how many balls you're going to get!

Thanks!

#2 8 years ago

How about the Ball Return switch - is it chattering as the ball lands in the outhole? This switch is closed by the ball landing in the outhole, which then activates Q, and a switch on Q activates P, and a switch on P activates the Ball Count (plus a few motor switches in the paths, as you've seen).

#3 8 years ago

Thanks for the reply!

When the outhole switch is closed, the Q relay activates and there is no chattering at all that I can see on that one.

Normally when I'm watching it. I see Q activate when the outhole is closed, then P activates, when P is done, O energizes and goes into a hold mode until a point is scored. When a point is scored, the O relay de-energizes and when the ball drains, the process starts again. When the problem occurs, (to my novice eyes) it looks like P activates and advances the ball count, O energizes momentarily (and must de-energize quickly), then P will activate again advancing the ball count again. It all happens very quickly. I've tried getting a video of it happening but every time I try, it seems to work fine...as soon as I start playing it will happen again. Ugh.

#4 8 years ago

P is what advances the Ball Count unit, so if P is stuttering at all, then it's possible the Ball Count could be stepping with it.

P has its own lock-in path, via its own switch and a switch at motor 2B. The switch at motor 2B shouldn't open until the very end of the 1/3 rev, so if it has a marginal contact, then maybe it's allowing P to stutter. So the motor 2B switch might be worth cleaning and checking the gap.

O also has its own lock-in path, but even if it were stuttering, there's no switch on O that will advance the Ball Count. So I think that suggests focusing more on the behavior of P.

Another possibility is that the 'last ball' path is somehow getting through. This also goes through a switch on P, but requires the Ball Count be on ball 3 (for a 3-ball game) or ball 5. But if the problem never occurs on ball 1 or 2, and only on ball 3+, then might be something to consider. Would check for a short at the 3/5-ball jones plug, and also on the Ball Count wiper disc.

#5 8 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I'll check it out in a few minutes

#6 8 years ago

Hmm, no success yet. I checked out the motor 2B switch and it looks well adjusted. My flexstone is shot and I have 2 more on order so I'll clean it better when they arrive. I tried a bit of sandpaper, then alcohol in the meantime.

Thanks for the 'last ball' suggestion...unfortunately, that is not the case in this scenario. The ball skips occur at totally random times, sometimes even right at the start of a game...it will go to ball 1, then immediately switch to ball 2.

It's frustrating because the rest of the game plays amazingly well and it's so fun. I'm determined to figure it out though!

#7 8 years ago

OK, so then can explore the observation of O energizing only momentarily. There is a normally closed switch on O that's in the path to activate P, so if O doesn't lock in, then maybe that causes P to stutter.

One test to simulate this would be to block the lock-in switch on O, so that O will energize once, but not lock in. Then see if you get a similar ball count skip.

Since O needs five switches closed to lock-in, this might be a promising cause. So then also check the switches involved: lock-in switch on O, normally closed switches on N, M, and L (and can ignore the one on AB, since that needs to work in order to get anything else to work).

If any of the O, N, M, or L switches are dirty/marginally gapped, then the O lock-in might not grab well enough to really hold it.

#8 8 years ago

Great suggestions, thank you.

Here's what I tried: I started a game and allowed O to energize, then manually de-energized it and put a piece of paper between the lock-in switch. At that point, I could close the ball outhole switch and the ball in play advanced normally each time, no skipping... I tried this for about 6 games or so. This *seems* to be the problem!

I checked out the NC N, M, and L switches and they seem to be gapped well. I will work on cleaning them better once I receive my new flexstone in the mail. For now, the problem is still occurring so I'm hoping it's just a dirty switch in one of those relays.

I would just bypass having O energize for now except the game won't start without it energizing the first time.

Thanks so much for the help...I will keep working on it.

#9 8 years ago

For completeness, there's also a Jones plug in that path, if O is in the bottom cab and the points relays are in the backbox, so there could be a marginal connection there too.

But knowing for sure which path it is helps immensely.

Good luck.

#10 8 years ago

Got my flexstone and cleaned the switches. I also had to clean the switch in the back of the stepper unit...now all seems to be well with no ball skips!! Thanks so much for the assistance.

#11 8 years ago

Excellent. Enjoy the game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saratoga Springs, NY
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
1,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1973-gottlieb-pro-football-ball-in-play-skips and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.