You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

score reel stop (resized).jpg
score reel (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hi All!

I've been going through and cleaning up the score reels as they didn't like resetting. I have been following the below guide, and have found it to be very intuitive and didn't really have any issues disassembling, reassembling or anything. What I am seeing is that the reels still don't want to reset from 9 to 0 very easily, and sometimes even have issues from 8 to 9. My initial thought is springs, but I don't wanna waste a trip to the hardware store if that's maybe not the case. Everything seems to slide pretty smoothly, but once it gets to the higher numbers, it just seems sluggish and I can't understand why.

Any insight would help, I'm rather new to EMs still and am determined to get to know them, despite their fickle behaviors

Guide I've been following: https://homepinballrepair.com/em-score-reels-gottlieb/

#2 1 year ago

As long as you don't have too much friction from the parts that are actually sliding along the metal frame, the problem going from 9 to 0 is usually that the switches that are all activated by the plastic armature are providing too much pressure against it. That armature slides along one edge of the rotating plastic score reel that is shaped so that it moves the armature in and out. At the 9 position, the plastic edge is pushing hardest against that armature and the switches, pushing them away from the score reel.

score reel (resized).jpgscore reel (resized).jpg

I'll sometimes put a little bead of superlube along that score reel edge that the armature rides on to help things along, but it's mostly a matter of making sure the switches don't have too much "bias" (or bend) pushing the armature toward the score reel.

There's a flat steel piece that pushes slightly against the score reel and prevents it from moving backwards - you could make sure that that piece isn't pressing too hard against the score reel. It'll look something like this:
score reel stop (resized).jpgscore reel stop (resized).jpg

In any case, I've found that the springs are usually OK - that the problem is excess friction so if you just shorten the spring to make it stronger to pull back against that friction, you're not really addressing the root of the problem. But those switch bias adjustments can be fiddly.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Flipper Parts
Tom's Pinball

750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Flower Mound, TX
1,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Knoxville, TN
750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Toledo, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.