• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
20190202_120922 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I am trying to help a friend get his JITB up and running. Before I looked at it, my friend told me that both pop bumpers weren't working and he sent me a picture of both coil assemblies. These things were beyond fried, so I ordered 2 new ones. He said that when he first got the machine several months ago, it was working fine. Then, each time he hit the right pop bumper, the game would tilt. He kept on playing like this until one day when he hit the pop bumper, it popped a fuse. After I replace both coils, I had to center the motor manually, since the game was stuck in tilt. When I powered up, everything centered and went back to normal. On the first game, when I hit the right pop bumper, the game would tilt. I re-set the game and when I hit the left pop bumper, it acted dead, even though the switches were properly adjusted and cleaned. The next time I hit the left pop bumper, it caused the game to tilt. So here I am now. Two new coils installed and each time either pop bumper is struck, it causes the game to tilt. All of the tilt switches have been checked and cleaned, so nothing to report there. There was some buffoonery with the wiring around the roll tilt, as two "new" plastic coated wires were protruding from the wire bundle and black-taped together. All of the original wiring is cloth-covered, so I suspect that this may have something to do with it.
Any ideas? BTW, I am not good with reading schematics, so I have no idea what all is common between the pop bumpers and tilt.

20190202_120922 (resized).jpg20190202_120922 (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

If the Tilt (T) relay activates when this happens you're going to have to track down how power is getting to the Brown&White&Red wire. Start by putting paper in all the tilt switches.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png
#3 5 years ago

What about the coin door? I thought it is supposed to be closed.
Do you have any ideas on the hack job pictured? What is the purpose and what should I do about it?
Thank you for your help!

#4 5 years ago

The tilt switches are a non-issue, as the blades are pulled far enough apart, except for the coin door. I am very unfamiliar with the operation of an EM, but I have quite a bit of experience with SS and WPC machines. Could the issue be the relay, and if so, where is it located? All of the paper legends are missing, so I have no idea what is what. Unfortunately, I do not have the machine at my house, so I have to go to my friend's house, several miles away.

#5 5 years ago

Greg, endeavoring to research and learn at the same time. Found this tonight:

Need help with my 4 Square pinball Machine tilting

By shopsalot61
5 MONTHS AGO

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from GKW:

All of the paper legends are missing, so I have no idea what is what.

You could figure it out from the schematic but probably easier to get another owner to post pics of their paper labels.
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/jack-in-the-box/owners

3 weeks later
#7 5 years ago

Bump. Still looking for help with this.

#8 5 years ago

According to the schematic it says it’s relay “T”. Check and see if the relays at least have the stickers left. Or you could just tilt it by hand and see what relays engage or drop out.
Then clean and adjust the contacts for that relay, probably just the vibration is causing it to loose contact.

#9 5 years ago

Hi GKW
when You "play" a game not using the pop bumpers - do You reach "Game Over" - lightet in the backglass ?
When You play a game and You use a pop bumper so this causes the game to tilt: Do You see "Tilt" lighted in the backglass - do You see "Game Over" lighted in the backglass ? Greetings Rolf

#10 5 years ago

Check the pop bumper solenoids and ensure there are no diodes on them. I have seen this happen and this was the problem.

#11 5 years ago

Sorry for the late response. The game will play fine until either pop bumper is hit, then it goes tilt. Tilt is shown on the backglass. I will get back to you all on the "T" relay. Thanks for all of the responses!

#12 5 years ago

Do you have the proper coils on the bumpers?

Awhile back, I decided to install yellow dot coils on the bumpers of my Atlantis. The game played properly before I did this. As soon as I put the yellow dot coils on, the game would tilt as soon as a pop bumper hit happened. I put the original coils back in place and the problem disappeared.

My assumption was the yellow dots drew too much current and caused the condition. So make sure you have the correct coils installed.

3 months later
#13 4 years ago

I have the same issue on a Gottlieb Far Out. Did you ever get the issue resolved?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1973-gottlieb-jack-in-the-box-tilts-when-pop-bumpers-are-hit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.