• Latest reply 6 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally_1973_Monte_Carlo_Schematic_Diagram_startup (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I've tried everything on this pin and it has me stumped so I'm reaching out to the pros. I have a Bally Monte Carlo that I can't get to coin up to play a game. When a coin is put into the coin mech the third coin chute relay engages however the game won't start when you press the start. What am I missing here?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

#2 6 years ago

With the playfield up, turn on the machine. Drop a coin. What does the coin relay do?

#3 6 years ago

I should have stated that was with the playfield propped up. I manually flick the coin bar and it only engages the coin chute mech relay with the playfield up.

#4 6 years ago

I'm looking at the schematic. I don't see a coin chute relay. Do you mean the coin relay in the bottom of the cabinet? The credit relay? What do you mean by "coin bar"? Are you talking about the little switch with the wire?

#5 6 years ago

Sorry for the confusion. I'm talking about the little bar on the coin mech that would move down when the coin drops over. When I flick it or drop a coin in the coin chute solenoid will charge however it wont start.

#6 6 years ago

When you drop a coin in the coin chute or manually activate a coin switch, does the credit unit reel advance? How is the machine set up? Does the machine automatically reset when you drop a coin in the coin chute, or do you have to drop a coin in the coin chute and then press the credit/start button?

You'll have to look at the circuit that includes the coin chute switches... Check the 2nd coin chute relay switch and the 3rd coin relay switch with the brown wire and black/white wire. Make sure the switch contacts are clean and adjusted properly...

#7 6 years ago

Does the Score Motor rotate a half-truths if you manually start to rotate it? Or, place a ball into the kickoff hole even in Game Over mode?

#8 6 years ago

So I tinkered around with it again tonight. I noticed the coin chute #2 solenoid isn't working at all when flicking the coin mech bar or trying to push down on the solenoid switch itself. I'm not sure exactly how it's setup for play however the credit wheel it set at 10 and I assumed you would just press the start button with that many credits on the wheel and then entering a coin prior to the start of a game. Mr Bally, how do I test the score motors? Do I need to start a game manually or can I just try after pushing the left flipper and the lock solenoid being engaged?

Thank you all for the help so far and I'm going to continue and trouble shoot the coin chute #2 issue.

#9 6 years ago

With 10 credits on the credit wheel, will the machine start a game when the start/credit button is pressed?... It might be that the credit unit is set for 10 credits maximum. You can manually deduct some credits by pressing the credit unit reset solenoid plunger. Get the credits down to 8 or less. Then put a coin in the coin chute to see if it will add credits to the credit unit...

#10 6 years ago

with 10 credits on the wheel it doesn't start a game via the start button. I pushed the solenoid a few times and got it down to 5 credits, when I turned the machine on, I put a coin in the 3rd mech chute and no credits were added, it only engages the 3rd chute solenoid.

#11 6 years ago

First thing, the coil on the coin door is known as the coin lockout coil, and this is not your problem. As you have credit on the credit reel, than all that is need is a press of the start button.
So when you turn on the machine and press the start button, does the Credit Relay energise? If this is happening, then check to see if the Coin RE is enegising. Report back.

#12 6 years ago

When I fire up the machine with 5 credits on the wheel, I press the left flipper to turn the lights on and lock coil energizes, then press the start button and nothing happens at all. It won't start a game or energize any additional coils.

#13 6 years ago

Try to manually rotate one of the bakelite cams on the score motor assembly clockwise (when viewed from the front of the machine) with the game powered on and lit up (by pressing the left Flipper button).

Does the m9tor kick in and rotate the cam assembly further electrically? If not, figure out why. Use standard electrical troubleshooting techniques along with the game schematic.

#14 6 years ago

Very carefully check the wiring in the coin door going to the coin switches, especially those yellow wires. It won't start if one is broken. Don't ask me how I know this.

#15 6 years ago

You can check the circuit that includes the start/credit button. Do you have a multimeter? Check to see if there is voltage at the start/credit button switch. You can also manually press in the credit relay to see if it will start the reset process...

#16 6 years ago

I don't see anything that stands out on the yellow wires or any wires around the coin switches. Fred, I do have a multimeter and will check tonight when I get home from work. I have pressed the credit relay manually and it does start the reset process.

#17 6 years ago

With that, you have a broken wire on the coin door, or a problem with the coin door Jones Plug, or a wiring/switch problem on the Replay Unit or a Jones Plug issue in the backbox.

#18 6 years ago

OK, be methodical and you can solve this. The key is understanding the startup process and the schematic.Here is an excerpt from the schematic that shows some of the stuff associated with starting a game. The credit button you are pressing to start a game is colored green.

A simple thing to check first is the credit unit zero switch which is highlighted in red. This will be found on the credit unit and it will have a W-O wire and a GRAY-Y wire on it. That switch has to be closed for the game to start. You can see it is open (NO) in the schematic. This would be the state with zero credits on the wheel. Once it goes to 1 credit or more, that switch has to close. You can also short that out with a jumper or however and see if that helps.

The coin switches are highlighted in yellow. The circuit to complete the startup passes through both of those. If there are any issues there, it won't start. In my case, everything looked good but then when I inspected it closely I found one of the tabs on a swtich was broken. The circuit was cut off, and it wouldn't start. So do make sure those are good. To see exactly what that looked like, here is a link directly to the post where I described what I found. This was on Bon Voyage but Monte Carlo is very similar vintage and works the same (I have both).

(I saw Mrbally's post just as I was uploading this, and I agree. That is the yellow area above. Besides the coin switches like he said it could be a problem at the connector somewhere. Also sorry it is a WHITE wire on the Monte Carlo, on the Bon Voyage it is yellow).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-em-bon-voyage-wont-start#post-2541170

If everything looks OK with those, then we can go from there, it is a matter of working through that one circuit and figuring out what isn't right.

Bally_1973_Monte_Carlo_Schematic_Diagram_startup (resized).jpgBally_1973_Monte_Carlo_Schematic_Diagram_startup (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago

Thank you gentlemen kindly for all the information. I have some homework over the next couple of day. Thanks again and I'll report back with my findings. Best Regards

#20 6 years ago

First a warning, remember we don’t know your level of expertise here. There is Mains voltage exposed with in the cabinet of a Monte Carlo. You need to be careful while probing with the power on. Have a read here about Mains power. The first post is a Monte Carlo. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mains-power-exposed-parts

Next, as pointed out by xsvToys, we need to be methodical from here.

So to get stared, with the machine unplugged from the wall, DMM set to Continuity or Ohms. Connect one end of the DMM to the yellow wire on the transformer. The other to the Blue / Orange wire of the start button. You should get a beep or read zero ohms (or close too). If this result is present then do the same to the other side of the start button, connect one end of the DMM to the Grey/yellow wire of the Start SW the other to the Brown/Red wire of the Credit RE. This wire will be connected to the coil of the Credit RE. You should get a beep or read zero.

What we are doing is check for where the fault is, which side, if any, of the start SW.
The other thing to keep in mind when follow a schematic, this schematic is drawn at a point in time. That point is – Game reset > Single player game >ball one in the shooter lane and power off.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1973-bally-monte-carlo-wont-coin-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.