Capture (resized).PNG
IMG_3896 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3897 (resized).jpeg
fmnNTmTMRB+HBylYcTtxSA (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
pasted_image (resized).png
#1 4 years ago

Hey everyone,

1972 Williams Super Star was running great, then a high score over 100,000 triggered an issue (at least I think). When the game reset the score motor got stuck and won't stop. Now, when the machine is powered on it instantly starts running without triggering the machine with the left flipper. Any tips?

Cheers!

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from EddieBreaks:

Hey everyone,
1972 Williams Super Star was running great, then a high score over 100,000 triggered an issue (at least I think). When the game reset the score motor got stuck and won't stop. Now, when the machine is powered on it instantly starts running without triggering the machine with the left flipper. Any tips?
Cheers!

Give us a little more to work with.

Is the game resetting? What are the score reels doing? Anything at all you can tell us that might give us hints?

#3 4 years ago

First I'd take a look at the 100,000 point relay and make sure the contacts are gapped properly when the coil is energized and de-energized. The 9th position switch on the 10,000 score reel energizes the 100,000 relay and turns a light on basically. But it looks like there is some other function that might cause the score motor to keep running.

Really the things that cause score motor to keep running are score reels that haven't zeroed out properly and the bonus unit that hasn't reset properly. So check the 100,000 point relay, then the score reels zero position switches and then the bonus unit zero position switch.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from EddieBreaks:

score motor got stuck and won't stop

These are the switches that can run the motor. Which one(s) are making it run?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 4 years ago

100,000 relay is gapped properly according to the manual. All 4 score reels are zeroing out correctly.

The "Score Reset Relay" located in the head is repeatedly cycling along with the score motor.

#6 4 years ago

Check the sw. listed. Impulse-D is a score motor sw. Is the 100K lite on or off?
Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#7 4 years ago

Score Reset Relay is gapped correctly, 100,000 light is off. But the tilt light was on, now it's off.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from EddieBreaks:

Score Reset Relay is gapped correctly

Did you check the score motor sw. Imp-D? and the Reset relay sw. B?

#9 4 years ago

I purchased this machine a few weeks ago from a home user that rarely played and am making it a class project to re-theme it. I guess after having 127 7/8th graders establish their high scores, the score reels really got a workout and 3 screws came loose and fell out. The loose coils were enough to reset the scores to zero, but enough off to not let the motor know.

At least every switch and leaf is now cleaned and perfectly gapped!

fmnNTmTMRB+HBylYcTtxSA (resized).jpgfmnNTmTMRB+HBylYcTtxSA (resized).jpg
#10 4 years ago

AHHHH! now the ball eject behind the drop target on the super special is not kicking out, and the points are just racking up continuously while the ball just sits there.

This was all functioning.

IMG_3896 (resized).jpegIMG_3896 (resized).jpegIMG_3897 (resized).jpegIMG_3897 (resized).jpeg
#11 4 years ago

Check the score motor sw.

#12 4 years ago

Eject Relay cleaned and gapped, still not firing the kickoff.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Check the score motor sw.

Did you do this?

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Did you do this?

not 100% sure what's being asked, still learning...a lot

#15 4 years ago

Drop target reset and kickout behind the drop target not firing. There has a to be a relay that controls these, but which ones?

#16 4 years ago

Score reset relays in the head still going off implies to me the game doesn't realize it's at 00000. Double check all of the score reels to make sure everything is correct, and check for loose wires to any switches. CAREFULLY check all of this stuff.

The good news is it's a one-player so not much to go through.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Score reset relays in the head still going off implies to me the game doesn't realize it's at 00000. Double check all of the score reels to make sure everything is correct, and check for loose wires to any switches. CAREFULLY check all of this stuff.
The good news is it's a one-player so not much to go through.

Game is resetting and playing correctly now, almost. The drop target "up" is not firing and the kickout behind the drop target is not firing the ball out, stranding the ball in the cutout.

#18 4 years ago

Do you have the paperwork? Williams paperwork clearly spells out which switches in the score motor does what - so check those switches for anything involving "hole relay/hole" or "drop target reset" - photo included

Check coils for any loose wires.

Jump the drop target coil / kicker hole coil to a known working coil with a wire/alligator clips, and see if the coil itself works. These can break.

super (resized).jpgsuper (resized).jpg
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from EddieBreaks:

not 100% sure what's being asked, still learning...a lot

Check score motor sw. Index-C. This is the first stack, closest to the front. Loosen the screws and clean.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Loosen the screws and clean.[quoted image]

Loosen screws?! Seems like a bad suggestion. Which screws? Why?

I would not suggest loosening any screws. Just check the switch for proper operation and clean.

#21 4 years ago

Sounds like the OP needs to do what I did and start learning how to read schematics. The guys on here trying to help solve the problem are all great and will probably get it solved but I remember awhile back their suggestions sounding like intense Mandarin Chinese to me when it came to schematics.

Reading and re-reading the section on Pinrepair regarding schematics is invaluable. I’ve got a long way to go but I’m learning. It’s also very liberating.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Sounds like the OP needs to do what I did and start learning how to read schematics. The guys on here trying to help solve the problem are all great and will probably get it solved but I remember awhile back their suggestions sounding like intense Mandarin Chinese to me when it came to schematics.
Reading and re-reading the section on Pinrepair regarding schematics is invaluable. I’ve got a long way to go but I’m learning. It’s also very liberating.

This is true. Our suggestions aren't going to help a newbie much. Especially when we are suggesting loosening switch stack screws for some insane reason.

Learn the basics, learn schematics. The good news is this is a VERY simple Williams one-player, and shouldn't be too hard to go through.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Definitely trying to learn to read to the schematics, but don't have them for this particular machine. In the last 2 months I've purchased a Williams Strato-Flite (have it almost 100% working), and Chicago Coin Dolphin (works perfectly), and non-working Williams Big Deal 1977 (completely going through everything) and this Super Star that was working and started to act up. I am diving in head first and learning as fast as possible.

I truly appreciate what these forums have to offer, and all of the people willing to jump in and help, I hope to be one of you soon.

I will retrace my steps, continue to work out the ideas provided and update the progress. So far, I'm coming up short after attempting the suggestions. Thanks again everyone.

#24 4 years ago

You can download the schematics and manual right from IPDB. I've put the PDF links right here for you.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/2446/Williams_1972_Super_Star_Manual.pdf
https://www.ipdb.org/files/2446/Williams_1972_Super_Star_Schematic_Diagram_continous.pdf

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Loosen screws?! Seems like a bad suggestion. Which screws? Why?

Here's a pic of the score motor and the screws involved. As a newb, it may be better to not loosen the screws, and to just slip some 600# or so sandpaper in and make sure the contacts are clean and check to make sure they're making good contact. Index-C is a normally closed sw., so contacts should be touching and tight. "Index" is always the first stack, in the pic it's on the left. And do this and other repairs with power off. Oh, and if you want to rotate the cams by hand so that the switch opens up, move that radio plug on the left to off. And remember to move it back when you're done!
wmsmotor1 (resized).jpgwmsmotor1 (resized).jpg

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Here's a pic of the score motor and the screws involved. As a newb, it may be better to not loosen the screws and just slip some 600# or so sandpaper in and make sure the contacts are clean and check to make sure they're making good contact. Index-C is a normally closed sw., so contacts should be touching and tight. "Index" is always the first stack, in the pic it's on the left. And do this and other repairs with power off. Oh, and if you want to rotate the cams by hand so that the switch opens up, move that radio plug on the left to off. And remember to move it back when you're done!
[quoted image]

That's how I do it. I rotate the cams to get the switch stack in the "open" notch position, and then manually raise the bottom switch activator to test the switches as well as clean them.

Loosening screws seems like a crazy can of worms for anybody, but especially a newbie!

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Here's a pic of the score motor and the screws involved. As a newb, it may be better to not loosen the screws, and to just slip some 600# or so sandpaper in and make sure the contacts are clean and check to make sure they're making good contact. Index-C is a normally closed sw., so contacts should be touching and tight. "Index" is always the first stack, in the pic it's on the left. And do this and other repairs with power off. Oh, and if you want to rotate the cams by hand so that the switch opens up, move that radio plug on the left to off. And remember to move it back when you're done!
[quoted image]

I will get into it today and see what I can do. I appreciate the tips and tricks, my 130+ students appreciate a working machine as well.

Cheers

#28 4 years ago

You may have a dry solder joint as shown from your picture. My Williams 1977 game had a similar problem with the player unit coil. It looks good, but the coil wire itself has to be tight on the tab:
Relay (resized).jpgRelay (resized).jpg

#29 4 years ago

A good 24V AC test lamp is a great addition to any pinball EM toolbox too!

1 week later
#30 4 years ago

<BUMP> Any word on the repair?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1972-williams-super-star-score-motor-stuck-when-powering-on?hl=md_pinball_dude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.