Good evening pinsiders. Picked up this EM several years ago to add to my collection. Been holding off since I've moved twice and the home remodeling took priority. Happy to say not any longer. Started an old post looking for a motor as mine was clearly roached. That coupled with the fact there's only two ways to get this game up and running. Check whats for sale out there for sale (nothing) and leave it to luck or just say screw it haven't found one yet going to give it a shot.
I'm giving a motor rebuild a shot...
So I have a Midway SAMI in my collection that I tore the motor down to clean. However the motor coils and bobbins were fine not roached. Cleaned and reassembled in a few hours. Not going to be the case here.
Warning...this is not a job for those whom do not have tolerance and patients. I happen to like this kind of tedious work but now know why this is not done by many.
First thing is I took many photos of the entire motor. Important to do especially in uncharted territory.
Then began to drill the ends out of the brass rivets. Thought this won't take long to pull these out. ha ha ha...not the case at all. Pretty much struggled removing the four main rivets having to cut and drill out some sections. Spacers and one bushing was seized onto the rivet. However tried to minimize as much damage as possible to break everything free. This took two hours to complete. Typical issues age old old. Pretty much not needed due to the gears being brass putting drag on the motor.
Next plan of attack was to remove the top and bottom magnet from each other I thought this should be easy. Nope...the top wouldn't slide. Worked on it for about an hour then thought have to go to plan B.
Plan B was the only plan I really had. I had to unwind the once enameled but now charred motor wire one turn at a time. The plastic bobbin was mostly gone due to the extreme heat was essentially disintegrated. Nevertheless got the old 21 AWG off and wrapped around an old piece of scrap wood in the garage. Important to keep to match the length when I receive the new enamel wire. That took an hour and a half. Taking a few breaks for sanity reasons.
So what once was enameled wire and bobbin off. Tried to remove the top from the bottom for about a half hour. Thought maybe I'd drill out the top two 3/4" rivets. What ended up occurring was I had to remove all 30 individual panels from the lower magnetic block. Important as I will need to add a new plastic horizontal bobbin (searching for a replacement at the moment). Ended up having to drill the two bottom magnet rivets out so the panels would flex.
This took about another hour and a half (up to about 6.5 hours on this). Sure Multi Products had a jig to compete these rebuild processes. I do not own one of those jigs.
Had to use a wedge on both sides to remove one panel off the top magnet. I used a pieces of formica. Not ideal but got the job done. A few thin steel shims would have been ideal. Didn't have any. Improvised.
Next are parts needed 3/16 x 3/4 aluminum rivets to replace. Also ordering a 7/8 just in case from a site Fastenere. Not available at the box stores.
Going to have to spend some time once riveted finding a way to keep a tight fit but being able to slide as one unit the top portion with the rewound bobbin onto the lower portion. That will take some grinding. Will be using a Dremel with a bur then continue to fit together as tight as possible.
Where I stand now is all parts soaking to get the gunk loosened up.
21 gage enameled wire in route.
Looking at DigiKey for a bobbin. May need to make my own. Need to order the rivets. Also need to order a start coil and game over coil as they are showing signs of wear.
Have an original 8 track tape player that will also need some work. Belts on order. Would love since this game is not pure EM to go with the original sounds on their own (witch, cats, monster, back ground music. Never have attempted may do so down the road.
Need to completely clean and reassemble the cat and witch unit. Will be starting on that tomorrow. Want to say their will be no problems that's wishful thinking.
Lastly game cabinet will need repaired and painted. Since this game was painted over will probably be one of the last things I do as always. This cabinet has had it's graphics erased for some reason. Not sure why anyone would ever do that.
This will be an interesting ride with the motor rebuild. It may or may not work. Thanks for taking a look...