Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Honch
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BAB76E57-F197-4376-9B03-AFCFEAAA2CF1 (resized).jpeg
    D7FF32FA-8658-4195-9688-48B09551C850 (resized).jpeg
    B59EF1BF-2ADC-4E90-95CC-F791389B2556 (resized).jpeg
    14612E2D-64F5-41A0-A5CF-806165564B53 (resized).jpeg
    C4C7E6E3-01E0-41BE-ADE3-7891128D666C (resized).jpeg
    80BC3171-05D2-4920-97B2-B8E87208DDAA (resized).jpeg
    1A42571E-99A9-4EBF-9DBA-6407E493FC81 (resized).jpeg
    B2EF5BC9-711C-4AD2-A4EF-61BE1D18C6E0 (resized).jpeg
    D2044E2F-C045-4049-A603-48E420416E59 (resized).jpeg
    94ECF88C-505B-4EE4-B78A-16301C99D259 (resized).jpeg
    EADFBEB8-AA50-47DF-8647-E8EF9FB33EB5 (resized).jpeg
    F9A2631C-B998-4526-AFEB-38AAF943705E (resized).jpeg
    3406A6CF-A9EC-40ED-A68C-92FD8B164823 (resized).jpeg
    E350501C-AFB1-488D-A34A-A7FFA66C2FB6 (resized).jpeg
    42D40E65-ABC6-4925-8410-A7733ACDD4E0 (resized).jpeg
    F31668DC-51E4-430F-836B-284F2140DC8D (resized).png

#1 1 year ago

Good evening pinsiders. Picked up this EM several years ago to add to my collection. Been holding off since I've moved twice and the home remodeling took priority. Happy to say not any longer. Started an old post looking for a motor as mine was clearly roached. That coupled with the fact there's only two ways to get this game up and running. Check whats for sale out there for sale (nothing) and leave it to luck or just say screw it haven't found one yet going to give it a shot.

I'm giving a motor rebuild a shot...

So I have a Midway SAMI in my collection that I tore the motor down to clean. However the motor coils and bobbins were fine not roached. Cleaned and reassembled in a few hours. Not going to be the case here.

Warning...this is not a job for those whom do not have tolerance and patients. I happen to like this kind of tedious work but now know why this is not done by many.

First thing is I took many photos of the entire motor. Important to do especially in uncharted territory.

Then began to drill the ends out of the brass rivets. Thought this won't take long to pull these out. ha ha ha...not the case at all. Pretty much struggled removing the four main rivets having to cut and drill out some sections. Spacers and one bushing was seized onto the rivet. However tried to minimize as much damage as possible to break everything free. This took two hours to complete. Typical issues age old old. Pretty much not needed due to the gears being brass putting drag on the motor.

Next plan of attack was to remove the top and bottom magnet from each other I thought this should be easy. Nope...the top wouldn't slide. Worked on it for about an hour then thought have to go to plan B.

Plan B was the only plan I really had. I had to unwind the once enameled but now charred motor wire one turn at a time. The plastic bobbin was mostly gone due to the extreme heat was essentially disintegrated. Nevertheless got the old 21 AWG off and wrapped around an old piece of scrap wood in the garage. Important to keep to match the length when I receive the new enamel wire. That took an hour and a half. Taking a few breaks for sanity reasons.

So what once was enameled wire and bobbin off. Tried to remove the top from the bottom for about a half hour. Thought maybe I'd drill out the top two 3/4" rivets. What ended up occurring was I had to remove all 30 individual panels from the lower magnetic block. Important as I will need to add a new plastic horizontal bobbin (searching for a replacement at the moment). Ended up having to drill the two bottom magnet rivets out so the panels would flex.

This took about another hour and a half (up to about 6.5 hours on this). Sure Multi Products had a jig to compete these rebuild processes. I do not own one of those jigs.

Few issues...

Had to use a wedge on both sides to remove one panel off the top magnet. I used a pieces of formica. Not ideal but got the job done. A few thin steel shims would have been ideal. Didn't have any. Improvised.

Next are parts needed 3/16 x 3/4 aluminum rivets to replace. Also ordering a 7/8 just in case from a site Fastenere. Not available at the box stores.

Going to have to spend some time once riveted finding a way to keep a tight fit but being able to slide as one unit the top portion with the rewound bobbin onto the lower portion. That will take some grinding. Will be using a Dremel with a bur then continue to fit together as tight as possible.

Where I stand now is all parts soaking to get the gunk loosened up.

21 gage enameled wire in route.

Looking at DigiKey for a bobbin. May need to make my own. Need to order the rivets. Also need to order a start coil and game over coil as they are showing signs of wear.

Have an original 8 track tape player that will also need some work. Belts on order. Would love since this game is not pure EM to go with the original sounds on their own (witch, cats, monster, back ground music. Never have attempted may do so down the road.

Need to completely clean and reassemble the cat and witch unit. Will be starting on that tomorrow. Want to say their will be no problems that's wishful thinking.

Lastly game cabinet will need repaired and painted. Since this game was painted over will probably be one of the last things I do as always. This cabinet has had it's graphics erased for some reason. Not sure why anyone would ever do that.

This will be an interesting ride with the motor rebuild. It may or may not work. Thanks for taking a look...

OHEMIO

Pic 1 (resized).jpgPic 2 (resized).jpgPic 4 (resized).jpgpic 3 (resized).jpg
    #2 1 year ago

Good luck! A have a Haunted House that I still need to get going and will be watching your status. Mine seems to be mostly to be working except the motor speed board. I have all the parts to rebuild it and hope to pick back up on that soon.

#3 1 year ago

Appreciate that John. Glad you brought up the boards. Making the assumption that they are functioning properly. No way to tell until I get the motor up and running. If you don't mind me asking what components are you going to be changing?

Most change the capacitors. I have a few other boards I think I need to change these on Sea Raider and SAMI. Sure there are other components others have changed. If you know of those components think I'd like to place them on order now to have them on hand.

Going to try identify and order a bobbin today for the motor. May have to order a few and see what would be the best fit as of course cannot find the exact match. Worst case scenario I would make one. Would prefer not to do so but will if I need too.

Hind sight is always 2020. Thought about this last night. Could have left this unit in tact and cut the correct plastic bobbin down the center. Then cemented it back together in place without removing the top and bottom section. Again hind sight.

Any information you could share tips and tricks of issues you had or went through would be greatly appreciated.

OHEMIO

#4 1 year ago

Good evening pinsiders...

Tore down and cleaned the chassis today long with the chain and sprockets and the motor. Also cleaned the Witch unit and the two associated motors. No different than the witch portion of this target unit is the cat unit. Will probably take a few hours.

Witch unit has two issues. Target unit has two severed wires. Going to repair and heat shrink. The other issue is the rubber ring for the witch unit is MIA. Calling out for Midway part number 542-902. Will have to locate one or a substitution. A lot of work left to complete on this one. Waiting on wire for motor and have a few feelers out for a horizontal motor bobbin.

OHEMIOMissing Rubber Ring 542-902 (resized).jpg

Two Severed Wires in Harness (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #5 1 year ago

Status update. Been quite busy.

Regrettably my 21 AWG seems to be lost to complete the motor rewind. It may be caught up at a shutdown at Remington and I have not received a response from their customer service

After talking to Steve Multi-Products will not sell the plastic bobbin. Decided to order the portion of the motor I needed from Pinball Resource for $50.00.

Searched for a couple of days for the rubber ring for the witch unit 542-902. PBR did not have one. Saw in another post that there was a square o-ring available are McMaster Carr. I mic’d the wheel and came up with .816 ID and 1.002 OD and .142 wall from ID to OD.

That led me to purchase the o-ring in the attached picture below.

Received today and it snapped right in. Will see how it performs once we are up and running and report out if it’s a suitable replacement.

Have cleaned all the switches and replaced the crispy coils. Also repaired the playfield That had many loose trees and graves and touched up several areas of the background and scenery with florescent paint.

Monster and Witch were missing part of their faces and made the correction. Almost looked like glue was placed there. Placed a fresh coat of flat black in the cabinet.

Also repaired the bank of wires under the cat and witch unit that were broken.

Missing the large tree but I may try to make one. Unless I can locate one in the meantime.

Repairing the cabinet at the moment to prepare for paint and addition of the correct graphics. Going to tear into the 8 track. Have new belts on hand.

Will start rebuilding the motor to prep for when the new portion of then motor arrives.

Should be up and running here in the next week or so.

Will prep so the only thing left would be to add the motor then test the game.

4D7A8910-B1EF-44BF-AB71-C1E81A79D717 (resized).png36B6923D-4FB9-4144-83E2-854B48FA1C7F (resized).jpeg90644B07-9FB1-4D22-B3AC-92399EC580D4 (resized).jpeg4AF23329-3722-4073-AE7C-48732FA6B582 (resized).jpeg857899D1-09B2-4E8E-84C2-E374EC872B4A (resized).jpeg6711BDCF-4C3B-4305-ADD4-3CAD5F85B1C1 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #6 1 year ago

Wanted to send an update of the progress that's being made on my Midway HH.

Cleaned the play field and attempted to clean up the artwork unsuccessfully. So decided to paint the pieces using flat black oil paint and florescent paint to take shot at some what restoring. It seemed to work out pretty well per the pics below. Still looking for the large tree for the play field and may attempt to vacuum mold one unless I'm extremely lucky and can find one somewhere. My monster was missing it's face. With a hot glue gun cracks in just about every tree that was plastic on the play field.

Art Work 1 (resized).jpg
    Artwork 2 (resized).jpg
    Artwork 3 (resized).jpg
    Artwork 4 (resized).jpg

Filled and painted the entire cabinet. Which again pretty happy with the results. Two coats of Kills and two coats of pure white satin latex enamel foam rolled and not sprayed. Also happy with the results. Have to find a way to stencil all the original graphics in the correct locations.

Cabinet 2 (resized).jpg
    Cabinet 1 (resized).jpg
    Coin Door 2 (resized).jpg

Sanded and repainted the coin door with Rustoleum Hammered Black Metallic. Came out very nice. Polished all the chrome pieces with my Dremel. The flat plate on the coin door blank had a hole drilled through it (guessing for a credit button) show I switched it for now with a coin chute from my Space Invaders Cabinet.

Coin Chute 1 (resized).jpg
    Coin Chute 2 (resized).jpg
    Coin Door Eject (resized).jpg

Received my 1899 motor component from Steve at PBR. It is OEM from Multi Products only need the spec off the motor - $60.00 with freight. So tonight I'm going to be reassembling the motor. Hope to have it installed tomorrow for a test run. May need to work on the motor control board and sound boards which doesn't seem to be uncommon.

1899 Motor Transformer (resized).jpg

If that all goes well then I need to tear down the tape player as I did clean it a few years back but want to check it over again before I install the new belt. Ended up buying 2 off eBay. Then there's 8 track I received which is a total disaster. It will take some time.

Hopefully 100% functioning and cosmetically completed within two weeks.

OHEMIO

Monster 1 Factory (resized).jpgMonster 2 (resized).jpgMonster 3 (resized).jpgWitch Restored (resized).jpg
    #7 1 year ago

Update. After a bit of work and a few ah-ha moments along the way the score motor is ready for install.

Upon tearing it down I didn’t realize one of the plates was missing a pressed shaft bushing.

This is more than enough to lock up the gears and burn a transformer. You could clearly see the bushing missing before I broke down the motor.

BB51E25C-ECC4-40DF-8886-BAE39BA97451 (resized).jpeg

Luckily I had a donor motor to tear down and utilize a plate with a pressed bushing. Had to pick up some 10-24 Threaded Rod fasten the motor

This is the same way I secured my SAMI score motor. It has worked very well for several years. All ready to go hopefully I can install tomorrow night and run a trial.

98B43D5E-4F89-4693-B3AF-DEF7DEBC3C9C (resized).jpeg

OHEMIO

#8 1 year ago

Well Installed the motor plugged in everything. Fired it up. Reset to zero. Was able to fire 20 shots and simulated all the monsters to score.

Target unit with cats and witch. Slow to a dead stop in 1st speed does not cycle back and forth when it hits its limits.

2nd speed, 3rd speed, and 4th Speed cycle back and forth with no issue. I’m going to order the caps to rebuild.

Never done it before but just going to jump in. If any you know where the best place is to buy caps any help would be appreciated!

Have some work to do before this restoration is complete. Seems to be a problem with these two solid state boards.

Next issue. Witch does not go up and down. I thought the board was backward for the contact so I flipped in.

What’s interesting is when I hit the down it will run up. So it does look like the O-ring is working however it may be slipping as it’s hard to see.

May have to place a few beads of hot glue to secure it.

Well have a few weeks of work remaining...

OHEMIO

C0F7ABCD-B426-49A2-88BD-D0FD538F64C8 (resized).jpegFE78F504-CD1A-48D2-974B-AFFC14969E61 (resized).jpeg
    #9 1 year ago

Ordered 10 - 1000uf 25V caps as well as two new fuse blocks. Really should have changed these out first. Was worth seeing if it worked without doing so first. My SAMI and Sea Raider both need capacitor swaps on their boards so this will be a good learning experience that I need to change all of those.

When I first bought this game and the first thing I tore down since the score motor was burned up was the score reels. Then project sat a very long time waiting for restoration. Now that I'm waiting on parts. I'm going to tear the score reels down again just to be sure they are clean and functioning freely.

I have this type of motor in my SAMI and it does not generate the heat this motor generates. Less friction less heat the longer the motor will last.

I'm going to get my red fleck on the cabinet and try to project some of the graphics on the game so I can stencil. Going to get this game on wheels at some point. Since I have a more level surface for my games in this house.

Going to get them all on wheels. Easier to clean up the gameroom.

Going to definitely post pics of these boards being restored. I literally can't find any and searched not just this site but others. If anyone has come across any sites that have a restoration that shows the capping of these boards would appreciate you sending it along to me on this post.

Trying to figure out the negative versus the positive...Some sites say the line across the top means negative. Others say don't trust it.

Have a good and safe weekend everyone...

OHEMIO

1 week later
    #10 1 year ago

Friday night in the arcade restoring the HH turned into Saturday morning. Received my caps so updated both boards

F9DE60AF-0D82-45F1-A1E3-E2688519FFA5 (resized).jpeg 9F0C3125-7F90-49DA-B63B-C798AFE8DAAB (resized).jpeg12389C06-BB86-48D5-8963-E8E97C3C60F6 (resized).jpeg

Fired the game up. Speed level one was working much better. However the splicing and electrical tape I used created too much drag on the cat and witch unit and it wouldn’t reach its left limit.

So I removed everything I could and problem solved. Will need to replace ribbon cable down the road.

Took on the 8 track player. Installed the belt plugged it in and was working properly.

33D397F9-6F15-45C4-AAAB-BDFE36EE266F (resized).jpeg

So the three hour project of the evening. Was the rats nest of tape that I bought with the game.

DF5D7967-20FA-47BD-8C25-71057B64BA99 (resized).jpegDA2A8A44-3282-4F3A-8995-21C90254D637 (resized).jpeg

What a mess but a good learning experience. All back together. Three it in and for a couple of games all the sound was there...then nothing.

Will say the 8 Track has its issues and is not in great shape. Need the foam and probably need to iron the tape as it has been abused.

I believe I need to spend more time replacing components or just convert to Electronic Sound.

Witch unit O-Ring is somewhat working with the McMaster O-Ring. I did place some hot glue in the plastic channel to hold the O-Ring.

Going to try a few other methods.

Other than that adding my fleck to the cabinet by hand in preparation of the final graphics to be painted.

I’m happy with the way the fleck is turning out...first time doing it.

So waiting in some fuse blocks and have some further testing. Going to install all the artwork back into the game along with other cabinet components.

Getting close to moving onto next project...

OHEMIO

8F212FEA-4870-419E-B2B3-C33C760FD1CD (resized).jpeg5DFC89AE-4BB7-443F-8E1B-2052EFA9CB80 (resized).jpegFAD6670E-8B9E-4795-B702-6E27B2992A6E (resized).jpeg1B26D0E2-064A-4C4B-A84A-A497EAEDD1D7 (resized).jpeg
    #11 1 year ago

Update on the Haunted House. Finished flecking the surfaces where all the graphics will be located.

Haven’t found a set of stencils as of yet. So may be a bit of a guessing game at this point and possible stencils based off of printing different pics in different sizes and making my own.

Cleared up the issue with three of the four targets. I decided when cleaning the back door switches not to disturb the hit switches. That was a mistake. Tore down the wipers one by one cleaned and adjusted.

877FC5A8-3F92-4360-8B11-D21488B92723 (resized).jpeg

Now all targets work with only the witch giving me some intermittent issues.

Starting to believe this is an alignment/timing issue with the small bake light the witch contacts ride on and the contacts for the Rifle due to the Wheel rubber I’m trialing from Mc Master Carr.

Will say the witch is working pretty well.

Have been working to adjust the sight alignment for all targets.

Game let say is working well now. Not at 100% say about 90% due to the witch being a big part of the game play.

Have received the fuse blocks to swap. Although this game is working being that it is somewhat electronic. Better to swap them out.

A3A1E361-D6E5-43FC-AC89-18150DD70C25 (resized).jpeg

4F7FCFE6-4D72-4069-9776-4B1EB4C2E41B (resized).jpeg

46A65BE7-7DE9-428D-81A6-C4CE34F76AB2 (resized).jpeg

8 track player and surprisingly tape continues to work very well but need to replace the foam I made from scratch with a correct replacement. Most of the sound is there which is better than no sound at all.

Only missing sound is the right cat when hit.

This maybe a result of me needing to replace the rest of the caps and maybe some other components on the pre amp and amp boards.

My thoughts are one of the heads Channels aren’t working properly as a result.

Will keep working at it until it is working as close to 100% as possible.

Have five more projects to complete this year and just added a sixth that will be shipping in from California within the next couple of weeks.

Electronic sound may have to wait until I have these balance of the games up and running.

OHEMIO

#12 1 year ago

Gun games are cool! Following your progress.

#13 1 year ago

poppapin

Good morning. Appreciate the follow. Been an interesting project to say the least. Have a few weeks of work left to say this one is completed.

Just bought another rifle arcade to add back to the collection. Chicago Coin Twin Rifle...owned one in the past and unfortunately sold it.

Regretted it the day it left my driveway. Working to have it shipped in from California.

Also have the following I’ll be doing restoration posts on here in this forum. Chicago Coin Super Scope, United 5 Star Bowler, Midway Jokerball.

Also have a Williams Triple Strike, and an AMI D40 Jukebox.

Been a busy year setting up the game room...this is my first restoration since I’ve moved for work a year ago.

My goal is to have them all up and running before the holidays.

Again appreciate the look and hope it helps others to restore their HH.

OHEMIO

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from OHEMIO:

Chicago Coin Twin Rifle...owned one in the past and unfortunately sold it.

I had one of those "Big Top" fun game but one heavy MF'er. Sold it a few years back.

#15 1 year ago

poppapin -

I agree it’s a very heavy game...I have pulled it out of a basement before and it almost killed me

Got lucky this time around when selecting a house. All ground level work shop on the back end of a 3 car garage. Garage was insulated. Bought brand new insulated garage doors. Threw in a Mr Heater in before winter.

Really happy with this new space. Used a pinball machine as my desk for a home office for a month and a half for COVID shutdown.

Been probably the best and most convenient space I’ve ever had for the family arcade.

First thing I will be doing is placing it on wheels for easy movement and storage. Will be pretty much be placing all my games on wheels here in the near future.

Just easier to clean up the arcade if I’m able to move them.

OHEMIO

#16 1 year ago

Today I put my art lessons from K-12 to good use. Used a iPad, a picture off the Internet, a mechanical pencil, a white eraser, a ruler, a can light tool for a Dremel, round magnetic dish, and many hours.

Free hand stenciled one side of the cabinet.

Used the magnetic dish for the upper moon. Dremel can light tool and the mechanical pencil for the large moon. A lot of eye balling, erasing, and judgement calls. Once I was done. Started painting.

Once completed I'll you touch up until I'm happy with it then make a stencil for the other side so at least it'll match. Still have the coin door area and peg board to free hand.

Will never be factory correct but guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

Happy with the results thus far...Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend!

OHEMIO

EBB2A865-BEB6-4981-955F-8BB2BF5544AC (resized).jpeg980D760A-0F89-400D-A9AB-A9826DCC5A1B (resized).jpegF96EB042-03FA-4471-9505-833004B82D40 (resized).jpeg066BBB9A-76E7-476D-A9FC-C99C217CD106 (resized).jpeg0E596D9C-8FCA-40EA-93DE-3A531A1151D8 (resized).jpegAB54AA8B-1F51-4F40-8C2D-F393AFD661F6 (resized).jpeg
    #17 1 year ago

Sunday garage pass granted by the boss. Took full advantage. Completed the bottom of the 1st side. Coin door area. Also the lower peg board.

Again all free hand stencil. Then hand painted. They are not perfect but took my time to accomplish clean lines and feel they are as close as I can get them.

What a difference from what I started with and with the cabinet repainted with graphics.

Little more touch up work to do on the 1st side. Then stencil to finish up the second side.

About 48 hours on all the cabinet work off and on thus far. Still have to replace the fuse blocks but will do so during the work week.

Plants I work for are starting back up tomorrow...will be a busy week and without doubt this restoration will be my escape.

Have a good week everyone!

OHEMIO

C0B05426-01E7-4601-9F27-ACF9564A9F0A (resized).jpegB3FFBC32-A7D8-4303-A102-861FDB16D272 (resized).jpegD3AAF02E-B629-4334-A7C3-1C19E6642433 (resized).jpegB9E77189-A53C-4A3B-ADA0-16D5E8EDA9A4 (resized).jpeg
    #18 1 year ago

Beautiful !

#19 1 year ago

Great work!

#20 1 year ago

Awesome work! I still haven't started in on mine but I hope to very soon. Your technique for doing the cabinet is great. Quick and simple. I did an EM pinball machine recently with basically a circle cutter and a bunch of masking tape. I will have to do some sort of quick and dirty repaint of my haunted house also.

#21 1 year ago

Thanks guys really appreciate it. Happy with the way it’s turning out.

Spent some time last night working on stenciling the completed side to finish off the game.

Was discussing with the boss stenciling and she recommended parchment paper.

Thought I’d give it a shot and it worked pretty well on the 1st area. Used a glue stick for edges which seemed to also work out well. It’s pretty much a one and done situation.

Will have some touch up to do and have to to add the roof - chimney by hand as the paper wasn’t large enough. Nothing too difficult.

Since the other side was free hand what I’m most interested in is the graphics mirror the first side to look uniform.

Want to wrap up the graphics this week.

Still have on the docket to install the fuse blocks. Need to build a new back door, paint, and fleck, install the thumb lock. Need to change out the balance of the capacitors on all boards.

Especially due to the fact I may go with a wave trigger for sound as I really don’t know how much longer this 8 track tape is going to last. Going to install a correct foam piece in the 8 track tape.

Have baseboard to install in most of the house this Memorial Day weekend. House projects are also beginning to wrap up.

Next several months will be spent on other game restorations and a few other hobbies I need to pull together before the holidays.

Again appreciate the posts on the game...

OHEMIO

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    1 week later
    #22 1 year ago

Been a bit busy at work lately. As anticipated the Memorial Day weekend installing baseboard in the house for the boss. Getting close to finishing off the first phase of the home remodel.

Had some time to order parts. Purchased a few arcade related tools but also ordered a capacitor and resistor kit as I need to finish off the Pre-Amp and Amp Boards.

Have some work to do with the SAMI and Sea Raider sound boards as they also need new capacitors. So definitely a good investment.

Also ordered a new 8 ohm 8 watt Bally speaker. Sound Is very clear as I ran through a few test games.

Also made a new back door to replace the Metal fab door that came with the purchase of the game.

Convinced after I found a pic of the original witches wheel I need to add a few square o- rings on the motor to make up the difference in the thickness.

Going to try to finish up the paint this weekend. Also will begin to swap capacitors.

OHEMO

3406A6CF-A9EC-40ED-A68C-92FD8B164823 (resized).jpeg42D40E65-ABC6-4925-8410-A7733ACDD4E0 (resized).jpegE350501C-AFB1-488D-A34A-A7FFA66C2FB6 (resized).jpegEA4FCDF2-047F-4DE8-A99B-556FA2DD4869 (resized).jpegF31668DC-51E4-430F-836B-284F2140DC8D (resized).pngF9A2631C-B998-4526-AFEB-38AAF943705E (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #23 1 year ago

Hello everyone. Drawing to a close here on the Haunted House. Back door is painted. Will be flecking the back and top of the cabinet.

If your asking why...it will bother me more to know I didn’t. Most wouldn’t care but I’d still have it on a to do list.

Over the past few days I’ve finished the graphics on the right side of the game. Stenciling these because I didn’t have stencil material took some time and touch up.

EADFBEB8-AA50-47DF-8647-E8EF9FB33EB5 (resized).jpeg

Changed the balance of the original caps on the pre-amp and amp boards I really didn’t see a difference in sound quality. Still thankful I have sound at all.

Purchased a few tools made the job a bit easier. Although I need to mount the helping hands to a piece of plywood base. Needs more stability.

Used radial caps instead of axial they fit better in the tight spaces between resistors.

D2044E2F-C045-4049-A603-48E420416E59 (resized).jpeg
    B2EF5BC9-711C-4AD2-A4EF-61BE1D18C6E0 (resized).jpeg1A42571E-99A9-4EBF-9DBA-6407E493FC81 (resized).jpeg94ECF88C-505B-4EE4-B78A-16301C99D259 (resized).jpeg

Few more things to do. I need to mic out and order the square O-Rings to add the OD for the witch to function better. I still believe this is an issue with its function.

However it too is working to a certain degree so Can’t complain too much.

Still don’t have the sight adjustment 100% correct. So need to continue to play with those settings.

Need to triple thick the back glass but also need to do the same for the Twin Rifle so I’ll probably that and the touch ups at the same time.

Will send one final post to wrap the project up. Been a long one but I’m happy with the results.

OHEMIO

#24 1 year ago

Panavise is a great upgrade from the helping hands. Come in a few sizes and are bench mountable!

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Panavise is a great upgrade from the helping hands. Come in a few sizes and are bench mountable!

Appreciate the info. Will check into it. Didn’t pay much for this one. It did the job. Believe it just needs a plywood base to give it more stability.

#26 1 year ago

Good morning. Swapped housing on the game over switch and now the buzzing noise is gone.

Swapped out the fuse blocks. Had for several years now a nice coin door sticker so threw it on with some craft glue my wife had.

Seems to be working out pretty well.

Few things left to do over time. Seal up and touch up back glass.

Need to mic and order square o rings for the witch. I believe it’s still slightly slipping and needs to be beefed up.

Very happy with how it turned out. Appreciate everyone posting over the past several weeks.

OHEMIO

D7FF32FA-8658-4195-9688-48B09551C850 (resized).jpegC4C7E6E3-01E0-41BE-ADE3-7891128D666C (resized).jpeg14612E2D-64F5-41A0-A5CF-806165564B53 (resized).jpegB59EF1BF-2ADC-4E90-95CC-F791389B2556 (resized).jpeg80BC3171-05D2-4920-97B2-B8E87208DDAA (resized).jpegBAB76E57-F197-4376-9B03-AFCFEAAA2CF1 (resized).jpeg
    #27 1 year ago

Beautiful job! This is my grail game. Maybe one of these days...

#28 1 year ago

Much appreciated.

This one was on my list and I had to buy one in bad shape and pretty beat up. Over time I found the parts I needed to bring it back to life.

Missing one part. The big tree. Hopefully one day I’ll locate it.

Few other things things left to do. So they’ll be a few more posts over time.

OHEMIO

1 month later
    #29 10 months ago

Looking to purchase a midway haunted house... any ideas?

Frank

#30 10 months ago

Frank

Good morning. These are getting very hard to come by.

At the time I purchased mine several years ago I did so knowing that it was in really rough condition and held it until I could fully restore.

My suggestion is stay on the message boards. Put out a want to buy post on Pinside Marketplace.

Check eBay and Craig’s list. Craig’s list at times can get sketchy with closing deals.

Buying one of these in rough shape will be a challenge. Sellers are asking top dollar these days.

Best of luck with your search!

OHEMIO

#31 10 months ago

Excellent thread! You do Beautiful work, as the game looks great! I have one of these HH gun games, myself and it's the last thing of mine I'd ever sell. Bought mine ten years ago and it took me three years to find one in nice working condition. I cant imagine the headache it would be trying to find parts for these old gun games in today's market.
    Btw is that sticker on the coin door how they looked originally?

#32 10 months ago

Honch

Appreciate that man. It was a real time investment and this one was one step away from the fire pile.

Time investment was worth it and is a great addition to the family arcade. Still have a little problem with the Witch but will get it figured out.

Regarding the door decal it’s is an original Midway sticker for a SAMI. However these are almost impossible to find these days.

I believe the original would be a 10 cent version.

The barn/warehouse/good deal finds are drying up on reasonably priced and restorable games.

Thankful I pulled in most of my collection several years ago. A few cost me more than I cared to spend but still thankful I pulled those in too.

Thanks for posting...take care...OHEMIO

1 month later
    #33 9 months ago

Great job on the restoration. Keep us posted should you go with digital audio.

5 months later
    #34 4 months ago

Hello,
    Looking to purchase a midway haunted house... if anyone knows one available...

Frank

#35 4 months ago

Still searching

#36 4 months ago

You could check on the EM rifle and arcade machine Facebook group.

3 months later
    #37 11 days ago
    Quoted from OHEMIO:

Honch
    Appreciate that man. It was a real time investment and this one was one step away from the fire pile.
    Time investment was worth it and is a great addition to the family arcade. Still have a little problem with the Witch but will get it figured out.
    Regarding the door decal it’s is an original Midway sticker for a SAMI. However these are almost impossible to find these days.
    The barn/warehouse/good deal finds are drying up on reasonably priced and restorable games.
    Thankful I pulled in most of my collection several years ago. A few cost me more than I cared to spend but still thankful I pulled those in too.

Quoted from OHEMIO:

Honch

Quoted from OHEMIO:

Hello everyone. Drawing to a close here on the Haunted House. Back door is painted. Will be flecking the back and top of the cabinet.
    If your asking why...it will bother me more to know I didn’t. Most wouldn’t care but I’d still have it on a to do list.
    Over the past few days I’ve finished the graphics on the right side of the game. Stenciling these because I didn’t have stencil material took some time and touch up.
    [quoted image]
    Changed the balance of the original caps on the pre-amp and amp boards I really didn’t see a difference in sound quality. Still thankful I have sound at all.
    Purchased a few tools made the job a bit easier. Although I need to mount the helping hands to a piece of plywood base. Needs more stability.
    Used radial caps instead of axial they fit better in the tight spaces between resistors.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
    Few more things to do. I need to mic out and order the square O-Rings to add the OD for the witch to function better. I still believe this is an issue with its function.
    Still don’t have the sight adjustment 100% correct. So need to continue to play with those settings.
    Need to triple thick the back glass but also need to do the same for the Twin Rifle so I’ll probably that and the touch ups at the same time.
    Will send one final post to wrap the project up. Been a long one but I’m happy with the results.
    OHEMIO

Quoted from OHEMIO:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    OHEMIO

Quoted from OHEMIO:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    OHEMIO

Quoted from OHEMIO:

[quoted image]
    [quoted image]
    OHEMIO

Hi
    I’ve been getting a HH up and running but the rifle sound just totally breaks up and sounds awful, I’m guessing I should swap out the caps as well.
    Did it work for you?
    I don’t know where to buy caps could you give me a suggestion.
    I also didn’t see a preamp board in my game, where is that
    Thanks.

#38 6 days ago

Hello,

I’d swapped every cap on all boards. It did work for me although I’m shocked I got the original tape to work.

You can buy a cap assortment on the bay for pretty cheap. Believe I put a list of caps I used in this post.

Amp board is inside the 8 track player.

Good luck with your restoration…love my HH…fits nicely as a part of my collection.

OHEMIO

#39 5 days ago

Any luck tracking one down?

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside