1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by Milton187
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 23 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190318_143301 (resized).jpg
    FE24AF08-83D9-4503-AB81-3BB9233BA336 (resized).jpeg
    CE9E4AFE-FF43-4FD3-A8FD-B57105D19BBA (resized).jpeg
    20190306_162233 (resized).jpg
    20190306_162559 (resized).jpg
    20190306_162611 (resized).jpg
    20190306_162209 (resized).jpg
    20190306_162150 (resized).jpg
    20190306_162201 (resized).jpg
    20190306_162056 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1679 (resized).JPG
    bullseye (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180120_134117 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180120_134242 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180119_123831 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180119_190541 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

Picked this guy up this week while up on a work trip in Milwaukee. It popped up on Facebook marketplace and wasn't labeled as you'd expect. Chatting with the guy, got him down from $150 to $50. Assuring him I'm one of few people crazy enough to invest the time and money to get this going.

The infamous Midway score motor (similar to EM rifles of the same era) was missing. Dude said he sent it out for repair 15 years ago and it never came back.
    Upon picking it up, dude gives me the name and number of the guy who he gave the motor to. I called him, sure enough he picks right up. He ran a nearby barber shop supply shop and remembered original dude giving him the motor. I ask if I can swing by and he reluctantly agrees.

I get there and shoot the shit a bit, nice guy. A jukebox guy. Long story short, we sort through his huge warehouse for an hour and eventually find the motor! He also had an extra gearbox he gave me for free! Incredible! The motor looks to be in great shape. With a complete game I head home.

Taking a look today - the internals are in very nice shape. The score reels are actually pretty clean. The infamous nylon transfer cams from the motor to the score reels are missing. Possible that's what led the guy to believe the motor needed work. Tested today and it works! Certainly needs a good cleaning. I'm hoping to 3D print the nylon transfer cams. Anyone have any dimensions they can give me?

I also plugged the game in, reset the reels manually, and tried to get it to do something. Without the score motor it can't do much. Either way, I'm confident I can get this going.

Here's the schematic for anyone in need - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bCo1MS9QpdC9T_x3CpWHiCKuKZJ-Wvd5

Much like my Monster Gun rifle game, there's not a lot of info on these games. Hoping to document my efforts here to help people down the line.

MVIMG_20180121_111202 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180121_111055 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180121_110705 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180121_111610 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180121_111204 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180121_111321 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180120_134106 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180119_190541 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180119_123831 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180120_134242 (resized).jpg
    MVIMG_20180120_134117 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

i bought these for my invaders from outerspace. midway cogs , cheap enough if you dont have a 3d printer

https://www.shapeways.com/product/J2ECQUANV/arcade-shooter-score-reel-coupling?optionId=61957491&li=marketplace

#3 1 year ago

Awesome pick-up. I can't believe you found the score motors!

I bought mine as a project, and after completely disassembling the reels, got it working again. Definitely a rare find.

bullseye (resized).jpg

#4 1 year ago

That is sweet!

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from singlezero:

i bought these for my invaders from outerspace. midway cogs , cheap enough if you dont have a 3d printer
    https://www.shapeways.com/product/J2ECQUANV/arcade-shooter-score-reel-coupling?optionId=61957491&li=marketplace

so did these fit your game - Invaders from Outerspace ?

as that was my coupler I did for a mate to save his game and trying to capture what other games they suit.

cheers

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from swinks:

o did these fit your game - Invaders from Outerspace ?

as that was my coupler I did for a mate to save his game and trying to capture what other games they suit.

yes they did! i bought a few extra in case another broke or i found another machine that would need them . i had read somewhere sometime ago they were almost impossible to find. i too have a midway bulls eye dart game but without controllers so its been hanging as wall ornament with lights for some time.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from singlezero:

but without controllers so its been hanging as wall ornament with lights for some time

You can hard wire controllers/push buttons into the game. I had to on mine, since the receiver was missing from the game. But It did come with a remote.

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from singlezero:

yes they did! i bought a few extra in case another broke or i found another machine that would need them . i had read somewhere sometime ago they were almost impossible to find. i too have a midway bulls eye dart game but without controllers so its been hanging as wall ornament with lights for some time.

cheers and glad it is helping a few people out

2 months later
    #9 1 year ago

Hi,

I may be picking up one of these tomorrow. It seems to be missing the coin box, the owner says they never had it, but the game "used to work". Is that possible? How do you remove the glass? What should I look for? What would you value a project Bullseye at?

Thanks

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from DropTarget:

Hi,
    I may be picking up one of these tomorrow. It seems to be missing the coin box, the owner says they never had it, but the game "used to work". Is that possible? How do you remove the glass? What should I look for? What would you value a project Bullseye at?
    Thanks

Yes, it could be wired to work without the coin box. But would need a switch added to start/restart a game with credits on it.

The glass is in a hinged frame. There are two locks (on either side) and the glass opens from the bottom, with the hinges on top.

Pricing is going to depend on how bad you want it. For an unknown project, 100-200 would be the top range.

#11 1 year ago

ive had one of these for years, and also repaired one before i got mine. it gets a lot of attention when people are over. i ditched the controllers and bought a 2 button key fob transmitter set up on ebay for about 30 bucks and wired it in with a power supply. much better than those cords. i used the A button to toss the darts, and the b button to restart a new game.

#12 1 year ago

Thanks all.

Thanks Mike

#13 1 year ago

joined this elite club.

#14 1 year ago

Hi all I am looking for two remotes for this game. Can anyone help?

IMG_1679 (resized).JPG

#15 1 year ago

Does anyone have a floor stand?

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinnut:

ive had one of these for years, and also repaired one before i got mine. it gets a lot of attention when people are over. i ditched the controllers and bought a 2 button key fob transmitter set up on ebay for about 30 bucks and wired it in with a power supply. much better than those cords. i used the A button to toss the darts, and the b button to restart a new game.

Can you tell me what kind of FOB you used and how you've wired it in? thank you

#17 1 year ago

Mine has some pushbuttons wired into where the remotes go. I do still have one remote that takes TWO 9V batteries. Very early solid state electronics.

Don't have a floor stand, figured it'd be easy enough to make one. I like the idea of the wall mount, however.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from NoPinIntended:

Can you tell me what kind of FOB you used and how you've wired it in? thank you

pinnut

I'd be interested in what FOB you used as well. I have an original remote, but the receiver in the game is missing.

#19 1 year ago
    Quoted from dudah:

Don't have a floor stand, figured it'd be easy enough to make one. I like the idea of the wall mount, however.

me too, I just don't have the wall space.

2 weeks later
    #20 11 months ago

Hank Cheats!

Sometime hank scores too much, usually when hitting 8 or 10, it sometimes scores 12 or 14.

No wonder he always wins. Any thoughts how to remedy this issue?

TIA

10 months later
    #21 47 days ago

Thread resurrection.

I have a Midway golf champ. Essentially the same machine. I'm pretty close to getting it going. Some of the score reels were worn out.
    I replaced them. I completely cleaned the score reel mech.

I have the following issues: Sometimes it does not completely reset.
    Player two's remote must be very close to the machine to work. Which pots control player two's receiver?

Also there are four wires coming out of the bottom. I figured out two go to the coin box switch but where do the other two go?

I also have another complete machine minus remotes and good score reels if anyone needs something.

Thanks for the help,

Milty

#22 46 days ago
    Quoted from Milton187:

Thread resurrection.
    I have a Midway golf champ. Essentially the same machine. I'm pretty close to getting it going. Some of the score reels were worn out.
    I replaced them. I completely cleaned the score reel mech.
    I have the following issues: Sometimes it does not completely reset.
    Player two's remote must be very close to the machine to work. Which pots control player two's receiver?
    Also there are four wires coming out of the bottom. I figured out two go to the coin box switch but where do the other two go?
    I also have another complete machine minus remotes and good score reels if anyone needs something.
    Thanks for the help,
    Milty

I'd love to see pics of the game!

Regarding the reset issue, make sure everything is working properly, and that you added a small amount of Teflon grease to clutch components.
    I can't help on the remote issue, as my unit was missing that part.

All the wires coming out of my Bullseye on the bottom go to the coin box. If needed, I can check to see where they all go.

I'd love to have the extra machine to try and rebuild it. But I think shipping might be a big buzzkill

#23 46 days ago

Ahoy djblouw,

I wish I knew what working properly was!

I removed and cleaned everything. Used superlube synthetic grease. Also had to buff the shaft a bit.
    I messed up when I re-assembled the unit. I put in new score reels. I forgot to remove the odd numbered cogs.
    Tomorrow I will pull it apart and remove the odd numbered cogs. That should take care of some of the scoring issues.

I have no reset. (Coin box wiring?)
    It does not subtract a credit or two when starting a game.
    Player one's ten score reel sometimes does not advance.

I uploaded some pics. Please send a pic of the coin box wiring!

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Milton

20190306_162056 (resized).jpg20190306_162150 (resized).jpg20190306_162201 (resized).jpg20190306_162209 (resized).jpg
    #24 46 days ago

Some more pics . Notice in the third picture the wires with tape?

The last fourth pic is the receiver. I imagine one of the six pots fine tunes the remote.
    Player one works far away.
    Player two works within five feet.

Thanks again in advance.

Milton

20190306_162233 (resized).jpg20190306_162559 (resized).jpg20190306_162611 (resized).jpg
    #25 46 days ago

Here’s the inside of my coin box. It has a button wired in that starts a game/resets if there is already credits on it.

CE9E4AFE-FF43-4FD3-A8FD-B57105D19BBA (resized).jpeg

Keep in mind that the motor runs nonstop when the game has been started. There is not a typical reset like an em pinball. The score reels just get released to 0 as the motor runs.

#26 46 days ago

So it looks like only two wires are used in the coin box?
    The other two going to the "free play" switch. Where does the black wire go?
    The pic really does not show.

Thanks again for your time,

milton

#27 45 days ago

Ok. I looked closer and I think I have it. No I don't.
    The wires left on the credit switch n/c terminals. The n/o have been relocated to the "free play" switch?
    Where do the black and green and black wires go?
    Also you have four wires and I only have three....

Milty

#28 45 days ago

Better picture attached.

Black wire goes to coin lockout coil.

It looks like the white (4th) wire in my set up is for the game start button.

FE24AF08-83D9-4503-AB81-3BB9233BA336 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #29 35 days ago

If you have a dmm, could you please ohm out the coin mechanism coil? I am going to put a resistor instead.

Thanks for your time,

Milty

#30 34 days ago

I decided not to put a coin mech lock out coil in. Here's what she looks like wired up.

Milty

20190318_143301 (resized).jpg
    #31 34 days ago

Really need to know how to adjust the remotes. I have one that only works very close to the game.
    Anyone has any experience with this let me know.

Thanks Milty.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 70.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 126.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 34.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 38.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Docquest Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 59.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 214.99
    $ 25.00
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 28.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 254.99
    $ 14.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside