11 (resized).jpg
10 (resized).jpg
09 (resized).jpg
08 (resized).jpg
07 (resized).jpg
06 (resized).jpg
04 (resized).jpg
05 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from manples:

Ok I'll check these slam tilts. I was wondering what were those alone switches with a big weight everywhere
For now I'm strictly following the "before turning on the machine" procedure of http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#top
I've spent the last 4hours cleaning the score reels. None of them was moving back freely to the 0 position. Nothing too bad though. Unmounting these Bally reels is easy. I've deeply cleaned every plastic piece with 91% alcohol, I had to shorten (and so strenghten) each big spring so the coil plunger could go all the way back on the 0 position, some plungers had a little rust that i took away with fine sand paper. Just a little bit of grease on the circuit board where the 2 pins run in circle and that was it (I was very tempted to put a tiny amount of teflon grease on the 3 metal axles but as it's nylon that moves around I did not...)
on a side note it's incredible how Novus 2 can clean the score reel, in 5 seconds it's all white and shiny.
Still have to clean Player 1 reels, they are super dirty... I'll post some pictures soon.

Awesome job following the pinrepair guides, taking your time, and lubricating with a non flamable and non conductive lube like that teflon gel!! Your progress looks great!

It sounds like a couple of your score reels may be hanging up still? Do you know whats buzzing? Like if you hit 10 points and the 10 point score reel starts buzzing, can you help help the reel along a little gently to rotate and then see if it rotates and stops buzzing?

If so, maybe still something gunked up a little, or maybe a weak spring or coil? If it was totally taken apart at every point, cleaned, and lubed....then I would think springs.

Ohh, double check any of the contact points and point gaps of course.

#37 7 years ago
Quoted from gmkalos:

oh and bypass any slam tilts that are always closed!!!

Why would you do this???

#39 7 years ago

I'll do more thinking, but one thing real quick about pop bumpers..

Is it something like score different points when lit? Like 100 when lit 10 when not? Or something....might explain why lit set acts different...

#40 7 years ago

Pop bumpers with synchronized blinking may be a blinking bulb installed (forget number for blinking bulb)...regular bulbs are 44 or the lower power bulb 47 for less heat.

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from manples:

Sorry it's not a blinking it's more like a flickering.
They are 44 bulbs and they flicker at the exact same time and frequency.

Not sure off hand, but maybe a bad connection to one of them. Either at power wire by bulb base. Or, possibly a dirty/worn/broken bad connection on plug(s) to playfield? Make sure all the male and female pins are clean on the main plugs and that non are real loose or have broken tabs on the female half (I forget off hand how bally has these set up).

#46 7 years ago
Quoted from pacmanretro:

Not sure off hand, but maybe a bad connection to one of them. Either at power wire by bulb base. Or, possibly a dirty/worn/broken bad connection on plug(s) to playfield? Make sure all the male and female pins are clean on the main plugs and that non are real loose or have broken tabs on the female half (I forget off hand how bally has these set up).

They probably share a power wire...so I'm wondering if power has bad connection at first one causing second to show same prob (whether at bulb socket, or at other end of wire feeding it power)

#47 7 years ago

Since it switches...may be a relay contact or wire too. Just thought of that

#50 7 years ago

Sorry if you had already done this, but did you try ohming out (may be able to use the continuity beep) the EOS, Zero, and 9 Position switches while rotating the reel manually? To make sure they have low resistance when closed and that each is actually fully opening and closing at CORRECT times?

It was probably already talked about between you and others, I just wanted to make sure it was covered.

Obviously you can compair to another player to see they are opening/closing the same as well. But it may be good to check resistance just to make sure switches are making good clean low resistance contact.

#51 7 years ago

Just like 3 days ago, I actually had an odd problem with an early 60s williams machine that I had fully redone where as I played, if I earned a credit/free game, the credit wheel would lock coil on and I had to shut off machine. I double checked and adjusted switches like 3 times, manual moved up and down, etc....finally, I got out a little flex stone file, burnished the contacts a little (by gently going back and forth while holding contacts together lightly), and tried again....

Played like a dozen+ games and havent had a problem again!

Just a short "something that happened to me" story in case it helps at all

#54 7 years ago

Do the other players try to zero if you change them?

#56 7 years ago

Messing with coil winding etc short something/blow a fuse or something?? Weird that it wasn't a problem and is now...would like to think it has something to do with area you were working in, but limited ideas in my head right now.

Did you just unwrap a winding or 2? Taking a lot off changes the coil. If the coil is bad, it may have cooked off some of the varinsh coating on wire further in, shorted out, and blew a fuse after a use or two....

Recheck ohms compaired to another coil and check fuses.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Myrtle Beach, SC
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pacmanretro.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1972-bally-space-time-not-working-worth-the-restoration?tu=pacmanretro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.