You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
stardust_reels (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi All,
I am having a problem with my Williams Stardust score reels. The 10 and 100 score reels are not advancing the next higher reel. 10 to 100 and 100 to 1000. The 1000 reel is working fine. This is happening for every player which leads me to believe it is not the reels but must be the 10 and 100 relays. They were both working and then stopped. The 10 stopped working first. I cleaned the contacts nothing worked. At one point things started to work again, I am not sure why. I have been testing by manually working the 10 and 100 relays. Then I was testing it using the playfield and things stopped working again. Nothing has worked since. I am not sure what my next step should be.
I have included a picture from the instruction manual.
Thnaks

stardust_reels (resized).jpgstardust_reels (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Bill_EM:

The 10 and 100 score reels are not advancing the next higher reel. 10 to 100 and 100 to 1000.

Do the 100 Point and 1000 Point relay activate when this happens? If not, diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires. The problem is likely in the Player unit since that's common to the 10->100 and 100->1000 circuits.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 6 years ago

When I manually activate the 10 pt relay past 9 nothing happens to the 100 relay when the machine is on. If I reset the machine ready to play and go past 9 on the 10 pt relay the 100 pt relay freezes on and does not advance the 100 relay but the bell rings. Nothing happens with the 1000 pt relay.

#4 6 years ago

If you manually activate the 100 Point relay does it stay activated?

#5 6 years ago

Yes it does stay activated. I think it is in the 100 point relay. If I push it hard to activate is works. So to me that suggests one of the contacts is not connecting well. I tried to clean the contacts but still doesn't work correctly. I am going to give it another cleaning and see what happens.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from Bill_EM:

Yes it does stay activated. I think it is in the 100 point relay. If I push it hard to activate is works. So to me that suggests one of the contacts is not connecting well. I tried to clean the contacts but still doesn't work correctly. I am going to give it another cleaning and see what happens.

Better to diagnose pinball problems before trying to fixing them by cleaning or adjusting switches. You shouldn't have to push the 100 Point relay (not the 100 point drum/score unit) hard to activate it.
Can you be more specific on "still doesn't work correctly" or would you like to talk on the phone?

#7 6 years ago

The problem has been solved. One of the tungsten contacts on the 100 point relay needed to be cleaned really well and adjusted.
Thanks Howard for all of your help.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1971-williams-stardust-reel-not-advancing-next-reel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.