(Topic ID: 297035)

1971 Williams 'Solids 'N Stripes' - Player 2 scoring on player 1 reel

By Trance220

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I'm brand new to this - just picked it up 2 days ago so please bear with me.

Everything is working and player 2 lights up on the backglass, but player 2 will continue scoring on the player 1 reels. Sometimes it will suddenly switch to the player 2 reels during middle of play - you'll see the Billard ball playfield lights switch over to player 2's on the playfield and the player 2 reels will suddenly start working.

What I've done to the machine so far: cleaned the Jones plugs. Cleaned all the switch contacts (I didn't adjust anything) cleaned the steppers and lightly lubed with super lube. They're moving smoothly.

Everything else is working other than the above issue.

I need to get schematics.

Also, the game is on free play - but I'm not seeing anything below or in the backbox that's been bridged or jumpered together. I'm not sure how they've done it.

#2 2 years ago

Inspect the wipers on the "Player Unit Disc". Be sure they are seated properly and clean.

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from Trance220:

...I need to get schematics...

Welcome to the hobby. Hope you enjoy your pin. Show us all some photos of it.
Let me know your email address and I'll send you the schematics which I re-drew a few months ago.

Cheers,
Mal

#4 2 years ago

I don't have the schematic? (I see it is not on ipdb, although the manual is).

Williams 2-player machines of that era typically used a "Player Relay" to direct scoring impulses to either the player 1 or 2 drum units. The Player Relay consisted of 6 long-throw make/break (m/b) switches, where 4 of those switches would connect to the 10-, 100-, 1000-, and 10,000-point drum units. I recall when the Player Relay was not energized (I think?), the 4 m/b switches should direct scoring impulses to the player 1 drum units and when the relay was energized, it would direct scoring to the player 2 drum units.

It sounds like the Player Relay might be getting energized intermittently/erratically, but I would start by locating the Player Relay in the bottom of the cabinet and inspecting to make sure a prior owner has not badly misadjusted the switches or perhaps the switch actuator is broken or the return spring has been mangled? You should be able to move the actuator with your finger and inspect operation to verify the m/b switches are correctly changing state.

If the Player Relay looks good, then it is probably not being energized consistently. The Player relay typically was actuated through a circuit on the Ball Count Unit through a normally open (no) switch on the 2nd Coin Relay. If you are confident that you have the ball count unit operating correctly, look to the no switch on the 2nd Coin Relay. It may be dirty (not always reliably conducting?), or perhaps the latch coil on the 2nd Coin Relay is not being energized.

If the latter, we will need to dig into the schematic to determine what energizes the latch coil on the 2nd Coin Relay.

I would suggest inspecting the Player and 2nd Coin relays and report back.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Hyperball91:

Welcome to the hobby. Hope you enjoy your pin. Show us all some photos of it.
Let me know your email address and I'll send you the schematics which I re-drew a few months ago.
Cheers,
Mal

Hey - I still can't send private messages yet, but my email address is [email protected] - If you could send a copy of the schematics I would REALLY appreciate it!

I don't know what I've gone and done - but now the head isn't lighting or scoring and the ball return isn't working. I checked the player relay, ball count unit, and 2nd coin relay like Runbikeskilee suggested - I'm kind of having a freak out moment here..

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

#7 2 years ago

Okay, so I messed around some more with cleaning all the switches and looking everything over. I found a couple of detached wires on the score reels and re-soldered them. Whichever it was the backglass is lighting up again.

The machine will credit via the coin mech but nothing happens when you hit the start/credit button.

I also noticed that it's not attempting to reset the bank of relays labeled 9 - 15 under the playfield like it does with the bank labelled 1-9 and game over. I'm not sure if that's related or not.

I'm going to look over the score reels individually next and see if anything looks amiss - but I'm really not sure what else to check...

#8 2 years ago

guess your name is Jeff. Check your email, you have a schematic incoming.
Let us all know how you go with it fixing your pin. Enjoy.

Mal

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1971-williams-solids-n-stripes-player-2-scoring-on-player-1-reel?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.