• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playball 025-30.JPG
Playball 020.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Here are 2 pictures of the Playball machine that I just bought. The first is of the coil and kicker that puts the ball in play. It looks like it has been modified for some reason. Can someone tell me if this is stock or not and what it might be for if it is a modification. The second picture also looks like a modification for free game play. This might explain why no credits are given for score enough points or runs. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TomPlayball 020.JPGPlayball 020.JPGPlayball 025-30.JPGPlayball 025-30.JPG

#2 9 years ago

hi tom what no responces yet. the first pic of the shooter a bridge rectifier was added to change the coil to dc operation in hopes to make it stronger. the 2nd pic of the free play switch added is usually added and wired to the 2nd switch of the stack. when some people add this switch they cut wires to the solenoids or open the bottom switch on the stack to prevent credits to be added.

#3 9 years ago

Hi Dave, The kicker works great so I will probably leave it alone, but the free play switch takes away the knocker sound when you win a game which is like music to me. Can I make it free play by adjusting the switches as outlined in pinrepair?
Thanks,
Dave

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballTom113:

Can I make it free play by adjusting the switches as outlined in pinrepair?

Absolutely. You could wire this switch up to do that, which it may already do. I'm surprised it disables the knocker. Are you sure you are not at the max credits or something?

#5 9 years ago

No I haven't gotten to it just yet, it is only on 5 credits so that's not the problem. I just figured it may be bypassing the credit unit.

#6 9 years ago

Hi Tom,

I've got a playball and the ball kicker is never quite strong enough to really get the ball in play. I think I'd like to make the same mod someone made to your machine. Can you tell me what coil was used for the modified kicker?

Thx
Allen

#7 9 years ago

Try to change the coil sleeve, it helped me.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballTom113:

it is only on 5 credits so that's not the problem.

That actually might be the problem. Many games only go to 5 credits.

#9 9 years ago

a better side view of the replay unit would help.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

That actually might be the problem. Many games only go to 5 credits.

yea, whataya bet that the pin on the replay unit is in the position that only allows 5 credits...

op... there is a pin on the gear that will block it from advancing any higher... look at the unit, and see what happens if you manually actuate the coil that advances the unit...

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from alb0711:

Hi Tom,
I've got a playball and the ball kicker is never quite strong enough to really get the ball in play. I think I'd like to make the same mod someone made to your machine. Can you tell me what coil was used for the modified kicker?
Thx
Allen

before modifying the ball kicker:

- rebuild it with a new sleeve and clean it well...
- then try it...
- if still no love, then check to make sure that the unit is adjusted to kick the ball "straight" (e.g. the ball sits "squarely" on the kicking mech).... you may have to remove the apron to do this...

it is not completely uncommon for gtb games to sometimes struggle to kick the ball into the shooter lane (and this carries over to the "shoot the ball from the trough" games)... usually one of the above 2 things will get it to a more acceptable state... i had to both rebuild the unit and adjust it a bit to get the one in my pro-football to be "good"...

#12 9 years ago

Thanks ccotng - I've tried adjusting, will take a look at the sleeve. When I bought the machine the previous owner had messed with the kick lever, probably in an effort to get the ball out more reliably. Seems to be a consistent problem with these gottlieb early ball feeds.

#13 9 years ago

yea, it can be a bit of a pita...

it's worth taking out of the machine, disassembling the whole thing, and cleaning it... it doesn't take very long, and may help...

after making every effort to make it work better, and it doesn't, you could always make the coil a bit "hotter" by unwinding a layer or two... commonly done to make pop bumpers "snappier"...

but i would make every effort to make it better before messing with the coil itself...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 25.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1971-gottlieb-playball-6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.