Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dmarston
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

90F2B3A5-711A-4C5A-8E70-296043CAC524 (resized).jpeg
    20200520_202459_resized (resized).jpg
    20200717_135135 (resized).jpg
    20200717_135126 (resized).jpg
    20200717_135139 (resized).jpg
    20200717_135149 (resized).jpg
    20200717_135142 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gott72.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12 3 years ago

What ever happened to this? I am just purchasing a NOW that was dormant for over a decade, and want to repaint and restore (it's in pretty nice shape, though).

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

by the by i sent scans of a cab in, Pinball Pimp has the stencils for Now

Oh yes--I'm buying those soon.

#16 3 years ago

Maybe I’ll post something about my restoration project, when I get to the game in late May. I want to repaint without webbing, replace rubber and posts, replace the coin door, etc... the big has a small are with wrinkles, the playfield is mediocre with mild chipping on the upper right. Hopefully it works 100%(been briefly shopped by a pro).

I’d love to bring it up nicely before I tuck into an ASTRO I just got which needs care.

90F2B3A5-711A-4C5A-8E70-296043CAC524 (resized).jpeg90F2B3A5-711A-4C5A-8E70-296043CAC524 (resized).jpeg
    #18 3 years ago

The webbing many times looks like a dirty mistake, not a decorative property of the paint. It was said they did it to hide cabinet flaws... my cabinet shall have no flaws to hide. *waves from his high-horse and rides off to pinball nirvana in the sunset*

Actually, I really dislike the look of it in general. My original cabinet games in good shape I keep. Those needing a redo get clean white.

#20 3 years ago

Yes! The sharpie-effect is nutty, but in original it looks like a kid got loose with his #2 Dixons and scribbled about. They look like squirrely mistakes or grafitti-accidental. Montana spray cans have a good looking webbing effect, saves the time and hassle to do it the old fashioned way and have a messy and inconsistent result.

I'm not sure I'd restore it 100% authentic. The cabinet paint would be the same, sans spider webbing. I'd choose some different lights, especially blinkers, and add some minor, reversible, touches to the plastics.

NOW is, in my mind, the ONE Gottlieb that fell short of its design potential, and I'd like to improve on it and take it to where it should have been. You'll see when I post photos in future. I believe it was a continued attempt at a girly-machine, yet was kind of abandoned after most work done to design. After NOW, Gottlieb went solidly and unabashedly into the MAN-MACHINE MODE of guns, babes, breasts, billiards, bars and brawn.

The only other machine I would consider changing is KING KOOL/ROCK. That cabinet color... why? I think the Bazooka-Joe pink of Flying Carpet is interesting and admirable, but the dingy purple-grey of KING KOOL was like a wrong turn in cabinet design choices. No other cabinets make a blip on my sensibilities like KING KOOL. 1971-2 was a period of shifting gears inside the Gottlieb design crew, and you can see their errors clearly in some of the earliest attempts at becoming "hip" and "with it" as they struggle to appeal to a different audience... and ultimately succeeded beyond competition.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gott72.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1971-gottlieb-now-project?tu=Gott72 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.