Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dmarston
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

90F2B3A5-711A-4C5A-8E70-296043CAC524 (resized).jpeg
    20200520_202459_resized (resized).jpg
    20200717_135135 (resized).jpg
    20200717_135126 (resized).jpg
    20200717_135139 (resized).jpg
    20200717_135149 (resized).jpg
    20200717_135142 (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

Have a chance to pick up a project pin. This would be my first restoration. Asking anyone who has experience with restorations what they think of this machine and whether it would be a good one to start with. As pins go it is not in bad shape and is priced around 250. Mechanically, the tilt is stuck on so the game lights up but does not start. Should have taken more pics but the coin door is nice and intact with the coin mechs.

20200717_135126 (resized).jpg20200717_135126 (resized).jpg20200717_135135 (resized).jpg20200717_135135 (resized).jpg20200717_135139 (resized).jpg20200717_135139 (resized).jpg20200717_135142 (resized).jpg20200717_135142 (resized).jpg20200717_135149 (resized).jpg20200717_135149 (resized).jpg
    #2 3 years ago

Doesn’t look too bad! If everything is intact and the tilt is the only problem, It will probably clean up nicely. The back glass seems in decent shape. The great thing about restoring EMs is that you can take it as far as you’re able or want to go.

Basics: clean the play field and plastics, new bulbs, new rings, New ball, Triple-Thick the back glass, clean all the contacts to get it working again

Further: rebuild the pop bumpers, flippers and drop targets with new parts for a clean look.

Advanced: consider touching up and clearcoating the play field and re-painting and re-stenciling the cabinet.

Now is a pretty rare game, I think, and this one seems to have little wear under the grime. Good luck!

#3 3 years ago

This is a really fun game with a gorgeous backglass. They made 1,000 but I wouldn't call it rare, I've owned several. Still have a backglass on my wall.

Yours appears in pretty nice shape those plastics over the drops take a massive beating I think this is a rare game in that the drop target banks are not angled at all, Gottlieb changed that approach mostly later on.

It's a really fun multiplayer game. Very simple just bash drops and try to cash them in. There's a nifty direct shot from the flippers up through the pops and up through the skill shot lanes that's fun to try.

#4 3 years ago

Ok game. Cool early 70s psychedelic art.

It does have those shooters on the playfield. No on field special.

There's better games out there for sure but there's worse. For the price it's a good deal

Just don't read the IPDB reviews. Down there with Duotron/Magnatron. I don't think it's that bad but it's not Surf Champ or Big Indian or any of the later four player drop target games.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from EMsInKC:

Ok game. Cool early 70s psychedelic art.
    It does have those shooters on the playfield. No on field special.
    There's better games out there for sure but there's worse. For the price it's a good deal
    Just don't read the IPDB reviews. Down there with Duotron/Magnatron. I don't think it's that bad but it's not Surf Champ or Big Indian or any of the later four player drop target games.

Pretty sure I left a good review 15 years ago lol

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pretty sure I left a good review 15 years ago lol

Well there are only two good ones and I know you're not Todd Newman. So unless you were CompuFox they must have dumped it.

I laughed at the guy who said they should have called it "Why?" Hey they can't all be masterpieces. I've played it and it's not a terrible game but not a top shelf either. As I said for the price a good deal.

#7 3 years ago

The actual game here looks like it would clean up well. Usual dirty reels and worn bumper bodies. Should be a nice player with a little work.

#8 3 years ago

I just restored/repainted this game a couple of months ago. Its pretty fun to play. knock down the drops then collect the bonus. Im pretty familiar and can help you out...

20200520_202459_resized (resized).jpg20200520_202459_resized (resized).jpg
    #9 3 years ago

Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to pull the trigger pick this up next week. I'm sure I'll be back asking lots of questions.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from josmun89:

Thanks for all the responses, I'm going to pull the trigger pick this up next week. I'm sure I'll be back asking lots of questions.

Have fun. I think I like restoration almost more than playing them. But it can get crazy. You get a disease where you really go deep on some of these restorations

#11 3 years ago

I would not necessarily apply triple thick to the backglass (post 2) unless the backside is definitely flaking or degrading.
    Most of the time that works out ok, but there have been bad cans of that stuff out there at times.

9 months later
    #12 3 years ago

What ever happened to this? I am just purchasing a NOW that was dormant for over a decade, and want to repaint and restore (it's in pretty nice shape, though).

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gott72:

What ever happened to this? I am just purchasing a NOW that was dormant for over a decade, and want to repaint and restore (it's in pretty nice shape, though).

by the by i sent scans of a cab in, Pinball Pimp has the stencils for Now

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

by the by i sent scans of a cab in, Pinball Pimp has the stencils for Now

Oh yes--I'm buying those soon.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from Gott72:

I'd guess the guy got it, started it up, the reels wouldn't reset, the score motor ran and ran, the player unit just kept yammering and he said, WTF and gave up.

#16 3 years ago

Maybe I’ll post something about my restoration project, when I get to the game in late May. I want to repaint without webbing, replace rubber and posts, replace the coin door, etc... the big has a small are with wrinkles, the playfield is mediocre with mild chipping on the upper right. Hopefully it works 100%(been briefly shopped by a pro).

I’d love to bring it up nicely before I tuck into an ASTRO I just got which needs care.

90F2B3A5-711A-4C5A-8E70-296043CAC524 (resized).jpeg90F2B3A5-711A-4C5A-8E70-296043CAC524 (resized).jpeg
    #17 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gott72:

Maybe I’ll post something about my restoration project, when I get to the game in late May. I want to repaint without webbing, replace rubber and posts, replace the coin door, etc... the big has a small are with wrinkles, the playfield is mediocre with mild chipping on the upper right. Hopefully it works 100%(been briefly shopped by a pro).
    I’d love to bring it up nicely before I tuck into an ASTRO I just got which needs care.
    [quoted image]

Why would you not do the webbing?

#18 2 years ago

The webbing many times looks like a dirty mistake, not a decorative property of the paint. It was said they did it to hide cabinet flaws... my cabinet shall have no flaws to hide. *waves from his high-horse and rides off to pinball nirvana in the sunset*

Actually, I really dislike the look of it in general. My original cabinet games in good shape I keep. Those needing a redo get clean white.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gott72:

The webbing many times looks like a dirty mistake, not a decorative property of the paint. It was said they did it to hide cabinet flaws... my cabinet shall have no flaws to hide. *waves from his high-horse and rides off to pinball nirvana in the sunset*
    Actually, I really dislike the look of it in general. My original cabinet games in good shape I keep. Those needing a redo get clean white.

Well, I get that, but still, if you're trying to come close to original it should be there.

Then again, I don't like the overspray look and I try to avoid it at all costs so what do I know?

One problem I've seen with webbing pictures on this site is the webbing is way too heavy and there's way too much of it. Looks like a kid got loose with a Sharpie. It's pretty wispy stuff for the most part.

#20 2 years ago

Yes! The sharpie-effect is nutty, but in original it looks like a kid got loose with his #2 Dixons and scribbled about. They look like squirrely mistakes or grafitti-accidental. Montana spray cans have a good looking webbing effect, saves the time and hassle to do it the old fashioned way and have a messy and inconsistent result.

I'm not sure I'd restore it 100% authentic. The cabinet paint would be the same, sans spider webbing. I'd choose some different lights, especially blinkers, and add some minor, reversible, touches to the plastics.

NOW is, in my mind, the ONE Gottlieb that fell short of its design potential, and I'd like to improve on it and take it to where it should have been. You'll see when I post photos in future. I believe it was a continued attempt at a girly-machine, yet was kind of abandoned after most work done to design. After NOW, Gottlieb went solidly and unabashedly into the MAN-MACHINE MODE of guns, babes, breasts, billiards, bars and brawn.

The only other machine I would consider changing is KING KOOL/ROCK. That cabinet color... why? I think the Bazooka-Joe pink of Flying Carpet is interesting and admirable, but the dingy purple-grey of KING KOOL was like a wrong turn in cabinet design choices. No other cabinets make a blip on my sensibilities like KING KOOL. 1971-2 was a period of shifting gears inside the Gottlieb design crew, and you can see their errors clearly in some of the earliest attempts at becoming "hip" and "with it" as they struggle to appeal to a different audience... and ultimately succeeded beyond competition.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gott72:

NOW is, in my mind, the ONE Gottlieb that fell short of its design potential,...

Agreed. Back in my operating days, my partner modified our NOW to give 50 points per drop target on the grounds that people expect more sound than just a single chime when they drop a drop target.
    .................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1971-gottlieb-now-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.