(Topic ID: 232363)

1971 Gottlieb 4 Square, buzzing at score motor?

By AugieDoggie

9 months ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by AugieDoggie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 months ago

Hi everyone... Figured now with owning 2 pinballs, I may need to get involved in here more and learn some on basic repairs.

I have a 1971 Gottlieb 4 Square. Was working when picked up. Now, after score reels reset after new game start, I am able to launch ball but when the ball hits anything to register a score, it appears that the score motor engages and does not disengage, buzzing very loudly. I am hoping this would be as simple as a cleaning in the general area, but otherwise, without a schematic or manual for repair, I don't have much more on what it could be and the required fix. And I would rather not pay $200 for a house call if it is a minor issue.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 9 months ago
Quoted from AugieDoggie:

it appears that the score motor engages and does not disengage, buzzing very loudly.

Are you sure it's the SM buzzing? And does this happen with any score, 1's, 10's, 100's?

#3 9 months ago

I would open the backbox and start a game. I would trigger the 10 point relay (there are some relays kind of in the middle of the backbox for the 1s, 10s, and 100s) with my finger. Does it lock on? If so I would inspect the switches on that relay.

I am not near my machine, but I think that I had a similar issue and it was a slight adjustment on either that relay or the switch on the score reel that opens when it is at the end of its stroke.

4 Square is a sweet game.

#4 9 months ago

Hi Augie, welcome to pinside!

Quoted from AugieDoggie:

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Order a schematic.
Tell us exactly which coil is buzzing.

#5 9 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Order a schematic.

Immediately. Forgot to add that.

#6 9 months ago
Quoted from HowardR:

Hi Augie, welcome to pinside!

Order a schematic.
Tell us exactly which coil is buzzing.

Definitely agree on this ^^^^^^^^

I'm thinking QuietEarp may be on the right track though. You say score motor, but we might be having a bit of terminology confusion here.

The Score Motor is in the bottom of the cabinet and it revolves counterclockwise whenever scoring or game events are triggered from the playfield.

The Score Reels are in the back box and display the score. My guess is your score reel is not operating smoothly and needs to be taken apart and cleaned and lubed properly. follow the link below for some very good guidance on this.

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#reels

1 week later
#7 9 months ago

Reels are definitely free... Any score sends the buzzing in the circular part beneath them buzzing.. I will have to send a pic... As this is my first EM machine, and i have no schematic, yet....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 14.95
$ 92.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 99.00
Hardware
Pappy's Pinball Palace
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1,000.00
Playfields
Pinball Playfields
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Great American Pinball
$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside