You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture3 (resized).PNG
Blue Chip 10 pt relay (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

So long story short...1976 Williams Blue Chip

The 10pt relay stay locked on when plugging in the score reels. When score reels are unplugged they unlock. All 10pt scores on my machine do not register. This includes: the 2 pop bumpers, and the various 10pt bumpers that also switch the pop bumpers between the 10/100pt score when lit. The pop bumpers register the 100pt score when lit but do not alternate.

With the 10pt relay staying locked, it fried the 10pt reel and the chime coil associated with it. I have replaced both with new coils, and also replaced the 10pt relay with a new coil, to no avail.

I have double and triple checked all switches. I have cleaned all switches and checked all wires.

Everything else seems to work but the 10pt scores and that stuck relay when the reels are plugged in.

What am I missing?

#2 3 years ago

The schematic and manual are at IPDB.org.

Once activated by a 10 point target or switch the 10 point relay will hold itself on until it sees the 10 points added to the Score Reel via the opening of the End of Stroke (EOS) switch as shown here in red:
Blue Chip 10 pt relay (resized).jpgBlue Chip 10 pt relay (resized).jpg
Until that switch opens the 10 point relay will stick on, sending power to the Score Reel, chime, etc. Chances are that either your EOS switch isn't opening or is shorted somehow.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

It's possible that the switches on the kickers are just barely touching and causing this.

Quoted from RonMexico:

The pop bumpers register the 100pt score when lit but do not alternate.

Check switches B & C.

Capture3 (resized).PNGCapture3 (resized).PNG
#4 3 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

The schematic and manual are at IPDB.org.
Once activated by a 10 point target or switch the 10 point relay will hold itself on until it sees the 10 points added to the Score Reel via the opening of the End of Stroke (EOS) switch as shown here in red:
[quoted image]
Until that switch opens the 10 point relay will stick on, sending power to the Score Reel, chime, etc. Chances are that either your EOS switch isn't opening or is shorted somehow.
/Mark

I will definitely double check this.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

It's possible that the switches on the kickers are just barely touching and causing this.

Check switches B & C.
[quoted image]

Usually when a sling switch is barely closed the arm will machine gun like crazy. That's usually a really easy one. It diagnoses itself.

My experience on this is it is generally a standup switch behind a rubber somewhere. Just turn the game on and go around to all those and pull the rubber out. You'll find it.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Usually when a sling switch is barely closed the arm will machine gun like crazy. That's usually a really easy one. It diagnoses itself.

'Usually' is the operative word. I just had it happen and it did not do the machine gun act.

#7 3 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

'Usually' is the operative word. I just had it happen and it did not do the machine gun act.

OK but if the sling contact is making the kicker will come forward and stay there, right? Pretty easy to spot. If it's making enough to cause the arm to not machine gun it is really, really closed.

#8 3 years ago

I'm not following what you mean when you refer to plugging in and unplugging the score reels.
Did someone modify the machine using male & female connectors to make the score reels modular?

If so, that connector would be one thing I investigated.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

My experience on this is it is generally a standup switch behind a rubber somewhere. Just turn the game on and go around to all those and pull the rubber out. You'll find it.

This turned out to be the problem. I must have missed a switch on the double check. (Screaming toddlers around the machine will cause lapses) The triple check (no kids) did it. One of first 10pt bumper switches on the top was touching.

Really appreciate the help.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from RonMexico:

This turned out to be the problem. I must have missed a switch on the double check. (Screaming toddlers around the machine will cause lapses) The triple check (no kids) did it. One of first 10pt bumper switches on the top was touching.
Really appreciate the help.

You're welcome.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1970s-williams-em-10pt-scores-not-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.