Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Dono
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EMsInKC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago

They might ghost. They might not. The safe play is to order non ghosting.

My experience is LEDs as GI above the playfield just don't look right on EMs. Inserts are a different story. It just depends. You have to try them and see. So much of this is personal taste.

If you are going to do it warm white is a better look.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No and no.
Ghosting is primarily a cause of certain flaws in solid state games. None of that circuitry is present in EMs.

If you don't like them, you can always resell them. I've sold a bunch of LEDs I wasn't going to use, and I've seen others do the same. No need to trash them if you don't end up wanting to use them.

Well I've had them in EMs and they ghosted so I'll disagree here. They don't always but they can.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

The Gottlieb EMs I've owned or worked on didn't have gosting issues.
Since there's no electronic circuitry, what could even be a possible cause?

I'm no electronics guy but my understanding is there can be enough flow of current that isn't enough to light an incandescent but is enough to flicker a LED before it collapses. I would assume something like what you get with EMF on a coil.

It doesn't always happen on every feature lamp
But it does happen.

I just installed a green LED under the double bonus insert on my Old Chicago. The incandescent was dim and I wanted more pop. That light is lit by the ball count unit stepper. It really pops now and no ghosting. I put them in a different Bally game and they did. Only way to know is try it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 51.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EMsInKC.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1970s-gottlieb-led-ghosting?tu=EMsInKC and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.