(Topic ID: 2767)

1970s em machine with four kick-out holes

By jt1163

13 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 13 years ago

This is my first post, so I hope that I'm not violating some forum decorum by opening a topic on looking for a machine. I couldn't find a current thread like this on the forum. . .

I used to play a machine (to the point of addiction or maybe just obsession) at a 7-11 near my childhood house in Virginia on the way home from school, but for the life of me I can't remember its name and couldn't find it in the IPDB. I loved this machine and I want to buy it as my first for my home game room. I need a hobby now that the kids are growing up.

It had a very distinctive feature. In the center-middle of the playfield, there was a group of I believe four kick-out holes arranged vertically and under a cover. When shooting from the flippers, the ball would enter the lowest hole and then be kicked up sequentially and exit the top. It could also enter from the top (sometimes if you got lucky, falling down into the second from the top hole) and be kicked out the top. If I remember correctly, knocking down all drop targets and then entering this array of kick-out holes was the way to score lots of points, get extra balls, extra plays, etc.

I also seem to remember that the color scheme of the machine was predominantly red, but I could be wrong on this.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the name or the maker of the machine, but I'm sure that it was a USA company and I believe that up to four players could compete together.

Does anyone remember this machine? If not, any places besides google images and the IPDB to look for pics of old EM machines?

Thanks for the help!

jt

#3 13 years ago

Good call, g-B! Looking at the playfield photos, Cinema exactly matches the OP's description.

#4 13 years ago

glilly-BOA,

Wow, you nailed it: Cinema.
    I vaguely remembered or thought that I remembered that the word "star" was part of the theme, but I didn't want to sound like an idiot.
    Not sure how I missed it on the database, but thank you so much.
    I'll try to find the game somewhere.

best wishes,
    jt

#5 13 years ago

I own the two-player version of this game. It's called Hollywood! (Chicago Coin, 1976)
    S-T-A-R are the drop targets in the game. S lights the right side shot and the first hole for 5000 points. T lights double bonus, A lights Special, and R lights Extra Ball. You need to shoot the drop targets first, then shoot the ball up the middle to collect/light the awards. Double Bonus is awarded immediately, the left and right outlanes are lit for Special and Extra Ball, respectively.

6 months later
    #6 12 years ago

I bought one of these machines recently from Mike Maxwell in Bedford, Virginia. It was also the two player version "Hollywood". His colleague Ed Toomey spent last summer shopping it for me and they did a wonderful job. I then cleaned it and put in a new rubber kit and it works like a charm. Now I'm playing it like I did over 30 years ago.

Great fun.

#7 12 years ago

Nice story
    I played this gun game as a kid and haven't found it yet perhaps one day I will

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1970s-em-machine-with-four-kick-out-holes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.