1970 Williams Rock N Roll EM Opinion

By J_Cutler

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Have a chance to buy this. Been shopped out and looks great, Back glass & playfield very good. New rubbers, playfield cleaned and waxed. Due to surgery hasn't been able to finish it. Only issue. The 2 kick outs are not working. Price... $350.00 Good deal for this EM? Would only be my second pin so not much experience in all this.

Jack

#2 9 years ago

I have to say, this game is absolutely awful. One of the many bad Williams games from the early 1970s.

First off, it's a "roulette wheel" game (in this case a spinner in the backglass) which I always hate. You spend as much time watching the wheel spin as you do playing pinball.

Second, it's ugly as sin.

Third, it's boring with very little to shoot at and a very uninteresting playfield.

This being said, if it's in super nice shape and basically shopped already it's worth $350.

But if you are limited in space and funds, I'd pass on this. Not sure if I got my point across, but I think it's a pretty crappy game. "Funfest" it ain't.

Oh, and if you buy this turd, I'd check the "eject relay" and also whatever switch in the score motor activates the eject relay.

#3 9 years ago

Thanks Crazy for the reply. Opinions are what I'm looking for. I have room for 7 - 8 pins. Been looking for an inexpensive EM is all. Something to learn on as far as repairs go and enjoy to play also. Also have a chance at a 1970 Gottlieb Jumping Jack, that works but rubbers are shot and needs to be completely shopped for 300.00 which I thought was high.

#4 9 years ago

That's not high. A decent Jumping Jack for $300 is a FAR better deal than a nice Rock n Roll. I wouldn't think for 10 seconds about that. Jumping Jack is a great game.

It takes about an hour to change rubbers/lights/clean the top side of an EM playfield.

#5 9 years ago

Here's the link to it.. What you think?
grandrapids.craigslist.org link

#6 9 years ago

Pass unless a repro backglass is available. That backlass is almost non-existent.

Would buy for $100.

#7 9 years ago

A repro is available for $300. If you can get the game dirt cheap (under $150) might be a good deal. See if they'll send a better photo of the playfield.

http://shayarcadegroup.com/

#8 9 years ago

That what I was thinking. Emailed him yesterday, and offered 150.00 if he didn't sell it.

#9 9 years ago

This is the rock n roll that is for sale.
lansing.craigslist.org link

#10 9 years ago

You already know my opinion.

That game is "worth" $350.

But what of the cost on your soul?

#11 9 years ago

Ha ha ha... Good one crazy. I give in.. I'll pass....

#12 9 years ago

I love Williams games for the most part but I am not a fan of just AAB games as I grew up with Replay versions. I would pass on the Williams and grab that Gottlieb Jumping Jack instead if it is in good shape and that cheap.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I love Williams games for the most part but I am not a fan of just AAB games as I grew up with Replay versions. I would pass on the Williams and grab that Gottlieb Jumping Jack instead if it is in good shape and that cheap.
Just my 2 cents.
Ken

Thanks Ken I appreciate your response. I grew up with the replay versions also. The Jumping Jack looks like it has sat and sat. He says it does play though just missing a few rubbers. Even though it is working, looks like it needs a lot of cleaning. Also back glass looks wasted. Did you see the CL link to it? lansing.craigslist.org link

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from J_Cutler:

Did you see the CL link to it? lansing.craigslist.org link

I did look at the Williams ad and the machine is in nice shape. I used to own a Williams Stardust so the Rock n Roll Playfield layout is pretty similar and is fun. That left side just kills you for losing balls just like Bally's Eight Ball. I liked the Stardust Center Spinner better as you controlled what you earned as opposed to a random spinner like Rock N Roll. I like single players as opposed to Multiplayers better so that is a plus in your court.

If you could pickup the Rock N Roll for $250.00 I would grab it as it is in good shape and can fill in your collection until you get tired of it or run out of room and sell it for what you got it for easily.

Ken

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

I did look at the Williams ad and the machine is in nice shape. I used to own a Williams Stardust so the Rock n Roll Playfield layout is pretty similar and is fun. That left side just kills you for losing balls just like Bally's Eight Ball. I liked the Stardust Center Spinner better as you controlled what you earned as opposed to a random spinner like Rock N Roll. I like single players as opposed to Multiplayers better so that is a plus in your court.
If you could pickup the Rock N Roll for $250.00 I would grab it as it is in good shape and can fill in your collection until you get tired of it or run out of room and sell it for what you got it for easily.
Ken

Sorry Ken, meant to send you the Jumping Jack link. I just got the guy to send me close up pics. Jumping Jack playfield is in real nice shape but the back glass is trash, really trash! Probably 40 % paint is gone and rest is wrinkled to pieces. Was told it was hard to fine and a repro is 300.00 He won't come off his 300.00 price on the Jumping Jack
As far as collection? lol I'm just starting and have only one pin. 1980 Firepower and room for at least 6 more.
Jack

#16 9 years ago

The Jumping Jack for $300.00 plus $300.00 for a Repro Backglass would work IMO. You could easily get your money back and then some for a nice example JJ as it is a sought after Multiplayer title. Playfields are always my main concern and if a new Backglass is available then that is not even an issue if the price is right and the Cabinet is solid.

Ken

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from J_Cutler:

Sorry Ken, meant to send you the Jumping Jack link. I just got the guy to send me close up pics. Jumping Jack playfield is in real nice shape but the back glass is trash, really trash! Probably 40 % paint is gone and rest is wrinkled to pieces. Was told it was hard to fine and a repro is 300.00 He won't come off his 300.00 price on the Jumping JackAs far as collection? lol I'm just starting and have only one pin. 1980 Firepower and room for at least 6 more.Jack

Besides being available, the Backglass has been re-done more than 1 time. Maybe even more. So, there should be better "used" glasses floating around out there too from people that purchased the repro. While I would normally pass up a game with that bad a glass, I would not pass up a JJ for only $300 with a nice playfield. The Chrome door even looks pretty nice. Not all rusty or painted over.

#18 9 years ago

I am picking up a Williams Rock n Roll EM this weekend - being given away - sounds like there are some minor problems but nothing too tragic. I'll let you know what I think of the machine.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from angrysaladman:

I am picking up a Williams Rock n Roll EM this weekend - being given away - sounds like there are some minor problems but nothing too tragic. I'll let you know what I think of the machine.

As much as I loathe this particular title free ain't bad. And there isn't a single kind of pinball machine that's easier to troubleshoot than a 70s Williams one-player.

There simply isn't much too them and they are very easy to service and repair.

#20 9 years ago

Thanks for that vote of confidence Crazy...I figured it would be relatively simple to troubleshoot.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1970-williams-rock-n-roll-em-opinion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.