Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 407 posts
  • 67 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by vicjw66
  • Topic is favorited by 46 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3871 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3872 (resized).jpg
    IMG_3870 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6865 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6864 (resized).JPG
    IMG_6826 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6825 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6823 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6822 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6821 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6820 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6818 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6817 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6816 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6824 (resized).jpg
    IMG_6819 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider znet.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#98 7 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

The acrylic DOME is pretty trashed. Scratches, scuffs, cracks and chips.
    So a NEW DOME is on the way.

Which vendor is making your reproduction dome? These one-off domes are typically cost-prohibitive.

2 weeks later
    #205 7 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Also, the lines on the text are very thin, (like fishing line) so hand painting is out.

I utilized a fine point black marker on my Sega Basketball instruction plate, which is identical. I had to quickly wipe excess with Gemini CP100, but it worked okay. The wider red area is problematic. I hand-painted my Sega BB plate's red areas.

#212 7 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Thanks for the tip. Markers are great but they have a purple hue.

I may have utilized a fine point ink pen, as opposed to a traditional marker to restore the degraded black on my Sega Basketball stainless steel graphic. However, I'm fairly sure that I used a marker. In any event, the result averted the purple hue associated with many black markers. Below are "before" and "after" photos.

20160316_220034 (resized).jpg20160316_220034 (resized).jpg

20160316_220024 (resized).jpg20160316_220024 (resized).jpg

#214 7 years ago

I also used the fine point marker or pen to restore the black letters, numerals and rectangles surrounding the numerals as depicted below. Those areas were mildly degraded. The red areas were problematic. I improved the red areas after this photo was taken. However, I am more satisfied with the graphic restoration of the black areas.

20160313_170001 (resized).jpg20160313_170001 (resized).jpg

#215 7 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

Art stores sell paint in a pen. So, more permanent than marker and a super fine tip.

A.C. Moore and Michael's has the paint pens. I favor them for that reason. Also, they have a greater opacity. However, occasionally they explode with paint (at least for me). Pushing the point releases the paint so they require a steady hand.

1 week later
    #228 7 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

Still to do:
    Touchup and clear coat cabinet.
    Paint "JUMBO" stencil then clear coat bowl.
    Get tape player working. Finding the right belt has been a challenge.
    Digitize audio.
    Get new string and apply new flags.
    Design and print labels. (test, credits, etc.)
    Paint letters and details on metal.
    Paint, repair and clear coat metal ladder.
    Paint beach ball.
    Fix or replace switch on bottom of bowl.
    Reassemble the mechanisms.
    Replace button on handle.
    Install new dome.
    Install SEGA badges.
    Install powder coated legs and bots.
    Put it all back together!!
    Cross fingers and hope the damn thing works.

Few people have both the mechanical and artistic skill to singularly complete such a project.

1 year later
    #396 5 years ago

Conventional wisdom is that only about a dozen or two have survived. That estimate is consistent with several of the scarce Sega titles. This estimate includes both Sega Jumbo models.

#398 5 years ago
    Quoted from PACMAN:

There’s only 5 that I’m aware of.

I too am aware of only a half dozen or so. Nevertheless, it's probably a safe bet that another few will surface in the future, especially since the game's recognized value is so high.

I hope that a few more are out there because I would love to add one to my line-up, in the future. Perhaps a more accurate estimate for this title is a dozen or less worldwide; but, nobody really knows. Only time will tell.

By comparison, for decades, only a dozen or fewer Rockola Army Navy games were known to exist. As the game's price tag escalated dramatically, the last decade has uncovered about a second dozen.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider znet.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1970-sega-jumbo-a-pacman-restoration-begins?tu=znet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.