Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Otaku
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Shooting blind here without a schematic (which would probably solve this) so figured I would ask to see if anybody has any good ideas before I continue and just order one and try to work through it myself. Looking to have this new pickup ready for visitors soon is the only reason I didn't do that yet. Yes, this is a new pickup and it never worked in my short possession of it.

Some things to note:

- This is a late 60's multiplayer and they weren't as many of these made nearly as often as the 70's by Gottlieb - it was a bit of a weird "mid-point" in the 4-player design, the player unit is still called the "ball count unit", there is only one switch on the back of the ball count unit, etc.

- If you start a 1-player game, score (you have to do this; indication that the 1st ball relay is working as expected), then advance the ball count unit by hand to player 2 "out of bounds", and drain the ball, it will correctly "wrap back around" to player 1 as it should ("tock tock tock tock", it advances the ball count unit several times), which also means the ball count unit is operating correctly.

- Regardless of player or ball position (with the except of the above), the trough switch will not advance the unit. As long as you are not "out of bounds", like player 4 on a 3 player game, the unit will not fire. Player 1 ball 1 and Player 3 ball 4 for instance would react the same as long as you have a proper game running to accommodate that player.

- The relay for the trough switch (not the outhole switch, but the switch the ball rolls over to advance the unit in all Gottlieb games) will successfully activate its relay, which runs the motor. Pressing this switch (even by hand) will run the motor (done by the trough switch relay) but it will not try to fire the unit.

- Shorting any of the switches on this relay does not fire the unit

I'm thinking it is probably a score motor switch but without the schematic I do not know where to look. I have not looked too closely at the first ball relay as it is incredibly hard to get to even with the relay bank tipped up, but if people suspect it is that I can look at it further.

#2 7 years ago

Good detective work. Check the motor 2C switches and also (if present) the 1D switches. There is one switch in the ball count advance circuit - it must either be at the motor 2C position or 1D position - that is always supposed to close to enable a pulse to advance the ball count unit one position. The remaining pulses for advancing the ball count unit will depend on the number of players set up to play a game, but these additional pulses are only activated once the ball count unit has stepped beyond the player 1 position.

As always, check for detached wires at the switch solder lugs and tighten down the switch stack screws before cleaning and adjusting the contacts.

If you're wondering why the "always on" advance-enabling pulse must be at the motor 2C or 1D position, it's because the ball count unit is driven by the 5-pulse train from the 1A cam switch stack, and in the case of a 1-player game, the ball count unit will need to be pulsed 4 times to skip over players 2, 3, and 4. Motor position 1D enables the 1st pulse in the 5-pulse train, and motor position 2C enables the second pulse. The "always on" pulse must be the 1st or 2nd pulse, or else there won't be enough pulses remaining in the 5-pulse chain to get the other 3 pulses needed to advance the ball count to player 1, next ball in play.

Hope this helps! - TimMe

#3 7 years ago

Thanks a ton TimMe, managed to get it working even tonight/this afternoon - it was a score motor switch at 2C. 1D on the machine consists only of one switch on a 6v line (for a bulb) I noticed, so I easily eliminated that from being even a possibility for this issue on this title.

On 2C there were only two normally-open switches on the end and as it was pretty easy to assume this would have to be a normally-open switch kind of circuit, I cleaned them both and aligned them correctly and voila.

Non-solution-extra-rambling-and-info:

It was also not resetting correctly (would reset the unit but not bump it up to player 1 which would obviously continuously run the motor after all reels reset) which also should have narrowed it down to the score motor. I realigned the bakelite plate adjustment so the unit reset to player 1 ball 1 instead of the home position one contact before (since the 1st ball relay obviously didn't trip yet the first ball kickout still left it on ball 1, so although definitely incorrect* it worked), but now I can probably safely put it to the correct position and actually get it to step up correctly. *Actually, correction before submitting this reply, I think it IS supposed to rely on and "ride on" the first ball relay here and it isn't incorrect at all. Otherwise you wouldn't get player 1 lit until the ball rolled over the trough switch. Interesting. Regardless, I can still fix the alignment and will get the same results - just a little more proper with it putting me there when it wants instead of it resetting right to there. (Only done for testing purposes anyways)

Thanks again TimMe! Fixed much quicker than expected and glad I didn't have to dive deeper into the relay bank right now.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1969-gottlieb-skipper-will-not-advance-ball-countplayer-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.