ScoreMotor (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4188 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
H&S ADDBALLCOUNTUNIT (resized).png
H&S RESET BANKS (resized).png
#1 2 years ago

Gottlieb Hearts & Spades adds extra balls on WOWS

The game always adds one extra ball as it should for point thresholds such as 30,000 or when hitting the center (when lit) red WOW target..

BUT when the ball DRAINS and the white (A-5 cards complete) is lit, or when the red WOW (A-10 complete) is lit it will once in 10-15 times give two or more bonus balls.

When this happens, I've noticed (while looking through the coin door), that the A-5 sequence bank attached to the underside of the playfield will double or triple clutch, giving 2 or 3 free balls when the malfunction occurs. This can happen for either a white or red lit bonus insert.

(Picture 1) I've inspected and cleaned motor switch 2C to 1/2 amp fuse, to O relay, to LB armature, to sequence bank reset (A-5 bank). Same for 1 amp fuse to motor 4B, O relay, [couldn't figure out how to see the HB armature switch] to control bank reset (10-A reset bank).

The other schematic snippet shows the C relay (add ball count unit relay) and the Add Ball Count Unit. I get lost in there, still being a bit shaky with schematics.

Is there a switch on the A-5 sequence bank that says 'i've been reset already, don't fire again?' I'm not seeing it. Why does the fault occur on both the high and low sequence? Help appreciated!

H&S RESET BANKS (resized).pngH&S RESET BANKS (resized).png
#2 2 years ago
H&S ADDBALLCOUNTUNIT (resized).pngH&S ADDBALLCOUNTUNIT (resized).png
#3 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Is there a switch on the A-5 sequence bank that says 'i've been reset already, don't fire again?

The Low Sequence Completed relay (LB) Armature switch is supposed to prevent the sequence bank from resetting a second time.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 2 years ago

I had looked at that switch - the one circled is the LB armature. It had been misadjusted to be always closed - and at every ball drain all the low cards, Ace-5, would be reset even if only one or two were lit. I opened the gap and now A-5 only reset if all are lit (that is lit ones carry over through the ball drain unless all are lit.) Maybe I'm missing something...

I'll check out the MarkG post next, but am not sure that the HB armature switch makes sense as the problem.

Thanks for responding.

IMG_4188 (resized).JPGIMG_4188 (resized).JPG
#6 2 years ago

I'd seen that post. I had loosened the wing nuts and swiveled the unit up earlier and still have trouble working on those armature switches. I'll have my son with younger eyes check it if need be - but still not sure that would be the issue. Henry

#7 2 years ago

BTW, the game gave extra bonus ball before I adjusted the LB switch and still does now. That is why I was tracking down the the reset path.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

still have trouble working on those armature switches. I'll have my son with younger eyes check it if need be - but still not sure that would be the issue.

Agreed that's probably not the issue but here are 2 magnifiers if grocery store reading glasses aren't helping
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07M7H3P95/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071R1NDBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title
Adam Savage magnifier review

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

when the ball DRAINS and the white (A-5 cards complete) is lit, or when the red WOW (A-10 complete) is lit it will once in 10-15 times give two or more bonus balls.

Have a look at these 4 switches in case one is gapped too close.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#10 2 years ago

Thanks HowardR. Will check them in the morning daylight.

#11 2 years ago

I checked the switches except for DB armature. It's really not my eyes being the problem - when I loosen the wing nuts and swivel the unit up the switch contacts are still underneath and hidden from view.

I did notice that the score motor sometime turns an extra third rotation when I drain the ball with the red WOW lit. About half the time when that happens I get only the expected bonus ball, other times I get two bonus balls. I looked at what starts the score motor and checked the O relay and score motor switch 1C. Is it worth checking the other A, G, SB2 or is my thinking wrong about what triggers the extra third of a turn? Thanks, Henry.

ScoreMotor (resized).jpgScoreMotor (resized).jpg
#12 2 years ago

Armature switches can be a royal pain to adjust. I recently undid the hinge locknuts on the trip bank, and turned the whole thing upside down to adjust one.
That was after removing the playfield too.
Oh, BTW; "Hearts and Spades" goes up to 11. There's no "11" on the backglass, but I believe they designed it that way so that you're not cheated if you're on ball 9, have both the sequences completed, and drain.
Mine did anyway. It was my very first pin, and I didn't keep it long because it was too easy. Plus, I hated the way the head looked next to my brother's "Subway"!

#13 2 years ago

Thank you JR. had not thought about taking the hinge apart. I’m away from home for much of the day but will check that out.

#14 2 years ago

…and cool info on 11 balls. Will try that when I get home

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from hjh632:

Thank you JR. had not thought about taking the hinge apart. I’m away from home for much of the day but will check that out.

Of course you know that's a 110v circuit. Unplug the game from the outlet before working on the switch.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1969-gottlieb-hearts-and-spades-adds-extra-bonus-ball?hl=hjh632 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.