Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Mopar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0156 (resized).JPG
    IMG_0153 (resized).JPG
    IMG_20200505_190259 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200505_192850 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200505_192904 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200505_195043 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200505_194120 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200505_191548 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200505_191439 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200505_190353 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20200505_185551 (resized).jpg
    IMG_0153 (resized).JPG
    pin-to-relay-to-scoring (resized).png
    Top Hat 1-9 score (resized).jpg
    Top Hat pin relays (resized).jpg
    Top Hat Rollover switches (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

It's possible that the wipers and/or contacts on the Score Motor may be dirty or that some of the switches on the pin relays while closed, are dirty and not conducting. If the Score Motor wipers and contacts are clean you can trip just one of the pin relays (the 2-8 relay for example) and end the frame to see if it scores correctly. Then repeat for all of the other pin relays.

I'm not sure what that guy was doing in the head of the machine, but he was messing
    with things that had nothing to do with getting it to start up with coins, but what Mark
    had stated is where to start. Although not registering strikes and spares properly, it does
    show that the 1 - 10 Relay (in the Relay Bank) is energizing which tells us that most likely
    all Pin Relays are energizing. There is a way this could be false, but it's very slim. I have
    confidence they are all energizing. So as Mark said, you could activate each Pin Relay
    one at a time and hit the last set of rollerovers twice. The first time will energize the 1st
    Shot Relay, and the 2nd time will activate the 2nd Shot Relay. Then see if the amount of
    pins that went up scores that amount of points. With a small screwdriver, you can also
    manually activate the Pin Relays (in the Relay Bank) to place them in the energize position..
    To be truthful, all the wiper boards should be cleaned and lubed but especially the Score
    Motor's Wiper Board (and actually the Flash Motor's also). The Score Motor's is a little pain
    (as is a couple of the steppers) because it has a double Wiper Board. But not only the Wiper
    Board's contacts should be cleaned, the contacts on the wiper should be inspected. I have
    to think there's a good chance the machine wasn't properly service in some time. I got in
    bowlers (actually Chicago Coin goose neck bowlers) where the wiper's contacts were worn
    right off of the wiper blade. The blade was partly worn also. I was surprise when you said
    that it was working properly before that guy stuck his hands in there. Not sure what he
    could have done to create the problems the machine is having unless he messed around with
    the Score Motor's wiper blade. The Strike/Spare Advance Relay circuitry also goes through
    the Score Motor's wiper board. I can't remember if it is the inside or outside board, but I'd
    also check the contacts in the Strike/Spare Advance Relay.
    From the 3 Goose Neck bowlers I still have, Top Hat is one of them. Chances are slim, but
    by any chance are you on the East Coast? I'm in Upstate N.Y.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from hicksd:

My next step will be to clean and lube them,

This is what many (along with myself) recommend. On the small wiper boards, which are
    on some score reels, I like applying only a film of Remmington Gun Oil which contains teflon..
    When apart, I wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the wipers' (there's two on the Score Motor)
    rivets..

IMG_0153 (resized).JPGIMG_0153 (resized).JPG
    #15 4 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

But it's also combustible, you're not concerned with putting something combustible in a machine that has parts that arc?

Since the early 90s, no problems, and I had/have ball bowlers out on location that got played a ton.
    Tomorrow I'll do what I normally do on a piece of board and put a lighter to it. I'll post the results..

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from hicksd:

A question regarding cleaning any soot/buildup on the bakelite wiper boards. Which kind of solvent should I use to clean them?

There's many different ways, but what I do is put a solvent (I use carb choke cleaner) on a piece
    of scotch brite and rub the wiper board. (Of course after the wiper is off). Then right after, I wipe off
    with a piece of paper towel. One things for sure, you never want to use steel wool.

#17 4 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

But it's also combustible, you're not concerned with putting something combustible in a machine that has parts that arc?

Quoted from Mopar:

ince the early 90s, no problems, and I had/have ball bowlers out on location that got played a ton.
    Tomorrow I'll do what I normally do on a piece of board and put a lighter to it. I'll post the results..

I had a few minutes, so I gave it the test. This was holding a lighter on each trial for 10 seconds.
    1. Lube with a film of Remington Gun Oil - didn't ignite. 2. Lube alone - didn't ignite. 3. Remington
    Gun Oil alone - didn't ignite. One of the times the edge of the piece of board started to slightly ignite.
    Maybe I'll try it on a piece of metal and hold the lighter for 30 seconds, but I pretty sure I'll get the
    same results..
    Back when, I had to replace many Score Motor wiper's rivets. To this day, they show very little if any wear..

2 weeks later
    #21 3 years ago

Yes, that one blade's rivet looks quite worn, but should be okay.
    Did you first clean the wiper boards before lubing? I spray a solution
    on a piece of Scotch Brite to clean. It looks like the wiper boards have
    quite a bit of lube, but it should be okay..
    If some of the pin relays in the Relay Bank seem not to be energizing,
    it could be a close switch (when the pin relay is not in the energized
    position) in that relay. If you run your hand over the rollovers in the strike
    zone (without hitting any of the rear rollovers), all pin relays should be in
    the energized position. Which ever aren't, I'd check the closed switches in
    that relay(s)..

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from hicksd:

So a couple more questions. (1) How often should the wiper boards be cleaned and re-lubed? (2) How would I go about replacing the rivets on the wiper fingers if it becomes necessary?

If you use this lube, you should be okay for a long time. I actually put a light film of Remmington Gun
    Oil over the lube..
    I've repaired the wiper rivets different ways, but the last one I did, all the rivets had to
    be replaced, so I trimmed the tip off of each blade, and epoxied a blade with a good rivet
    to the original blade. I then spot soldered the end of the blade so they had good conductivity
    with each other. In the passed, I filed the backside of the rivet and replaced it with a new rivet,
    but now my new rivet supply is low. There's probably rivets still available someplace, and if you
    can get a variety of rivets, you may want to take that route. Many years ago I got mine from Wico.
    I'm not even sure if they're still around. Perhaps Pinball Resource may have rivets..
    btw: I spot soldered the blades on the other side. I had a pic of that. Must have gotten deleted..

IMG_0153 (resized).JPGIMG_0153 (resized).JPGIMG_0156 (resized).JPGIMG_0156 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1969-chicago-coin-top-hat-ball-bowler-not-scoring-correctly?tu=Mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.