Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Jolly-Roger-Work-01 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Hi All,
I am lost on how to fix an issue with my machine and im an hoping i can pick someones brain on here as i am out of ideas. My machine is playing every game as a four player game. I have cleaned and checked the coin unit, ball count unit and player unit all are cleaned moving freely and are properly lined up. No matter whether i am playing a one,two, three or four player games it always plays a four player and it will switch thru the balls properly at the end of player fours turn. all my switches on player reset and ball index relays look fine and are moving freely and clean of debris. any ideas on where i should look next would be much appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

I'd have to see the schematic. Do you have one?

#3 6 years ago

I have seen the same problem in my Sonic (built of Williams parts) as well as other Williams machines. The problem is usually in the coin stepper unit. Use a multi-meter to check continuity at each step. Just because it looks right doesn't mean it is. If the machine doesn't have continuity on 1, 2 or 3 players it will always play four. Don't know why. I didn't design it! I chased this problem for three days before I figured it out. Trust the meter over your eyeballs. And if the continuity at the stepper is good, look further up the line. Dirty jones plugs, etc. Good luck!

Shawn

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I'd have to see the schematic. Do you have one?

I do what exactly are you looking for?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Willillist:

I do what exactly are you looking for?

Ideally a single clear, in-focus, edge to edge picture of the schematic, posted to IPDB. The manual would be a nice-to-have.

#6 6 years ago

Hi Willillist, HowardR
about this area --- especially the "encircled orange area". I hope for luck --- in my JPG there are wires "Blue-Red, Red-Yellow, Red-Green, Red-White" --- AND here in ipdb.org the Student Prince manual http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/2408/Williams_1968_Student_Prince_Manual.pdf shows SAME colored wires on page-19 (ori-17) and page-20 (ori-18) on the interesting Stepper-Units. Locate in Your pin these wires and check --- wires soldered-on ?

IF (if, if) the Student Prince schematics is identical in this interesting area: Write - and we use this Jolly-Roger snippet. Greetings Rolf

0Jolly-Roger-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Jolly-Roger-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago

The issue was within the coin unit one of the fingers on the unit was not making proper contact after a quick adjust everything is working just fine.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1968-williams-student-prince and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.