• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I have a balley mini zag when I plug it in nothin happens when I add a credit the score motor runs but still no lights then when I push the right flipper lights come on and off if I hold it the light stay on when I look the anti cheat and the ball count relay are tripping any idea why? I have checked the coin door switch and the tilt and they are operating fine

#2 10 years ago

Hey Albertapinball, welcome! That looks like a fun game. I've got a Bally from '68 too. I'm going through your post bit by bit trying to dissect exactly what your problems might be, but before anything else, if you haven't done so already, read this from top to bottom. Between that site and your own eyes and ears, you'll have all the answers you need.

Quoted from Albertapinball:

when I plug it in nothin happens

This is normal, or maybe you should expect to hear the light hum of the transformer. Just plugging it in shouldn't make anything else happen. If you press the left flipper button at that point, the lights should come on but nothing else should happen.

when I add a credit the score motor runs

Is there anything else that happens? Does the score motor stop running or just run continuously?

then when I push the right flipper lights come on and off if I hold it the light stay on

Now we're getting into the weeds. No idea about this, but I've seen similar problems that are the result of dirty or shorted-out jones plugs. Clean and re-seat all of these, and make sure there are no screws, nails, or anything else shorting the connections out.

That's probably not everything but hopefully that gives you a good start. Let us know how it goes.

#3 10 years ago

The best way to clean the jones plugs is with a wire brush.

After that, I would look over every single switch on your playfield. Check to see that all of the switches are gapped properly and not making contact when they shouldn't. Start with the outhole switch.

#4 10 years ago

I have taken the plug out and cleaned them with a wire brush and I have gone thru all the switch sad cleaned them with isopropyl and then checked for gap and filed with a small contact file also cleaned all the connections in the stepper unit and all the connections on the score motor.

When I push the left flipper which should start the game and light I am told the anti cheat selinoid trips as well as the ball counter one now trips too and the. The anti cheat won't stay conected when I hold the flipper the lights stay on unit I try anything then the anti cheat goes and restes everything

#5 10 years ago

I did find this and a few broken fuse holders that I have replaces alps one finger that wasn't aligned I don't know how to hook his back up the stepper says it's the match unit image.jpgimage.jpg

#6 10 years ago

^^ You have a bell missing and a coil. Check your schematic for the coil application and for the coil/bell you can get them from Pinball resource.

#7 10 years ago

few broken fuse holders

Pbr has those too,best change them instead of trying to salvage the old ones as they were cheap/junk when Bally made them.

#8 10 years ago

Yea I put New fuse holders in throughout the machine I also have found a coil where could I find a schematic for free the one on pinball database sucks and I can't read it is there a comon way they are wired u see three wires coming out two leads of the switches and coil

#9 10 years ago

where could I find a schematic for free the one on pinball database sucks and I can't read it

Do you have windows? If so ,use control(Ctrl)Key and the +/= key (zoom in)or with the -/_ key (zoom out)simultaneously to adjust the size and it looks fine to me. Link> http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1606/MiniZagSchematic.jpg
As far as the coil wires go, 2 orange go on one tab and the white /red tracer go on the other one.
The black and the other orange on the m&b not sure? As my 1965 bally does not have the switching.
Maybe someone can chime in on the proper wire layout.

#10 10 years ago

Thanks turns out its just blurry on my iPad I am going to print one off thanks

What all trips the anti cheat ? Does anyone know or can help the ball count seems to b going now at the same time

2 weeks later
#11 10 years ago

So I got the new coils and can look at the schematic it doesn't help me much for wireing it back it though or I am just lost image.jpgimage.jpg

#12 10 years ago

What coil is that? And is it supposed to have three lugs? I would expect it to only need 2...

Also in terms of loose wires, in your picture I see a white/orange, two oranges twisted together, a dirty orange coming off the EOS switch below/left of the coil, and a black coming off the same switch. The white/orange attaches one lug of the coil, I'm pretty sure (that's how it is in my Dogies), the two oranges together attach to the other lug, and I don't know what those other two are for. Consult a schematic! If you don't know where to look, scan it and post it here and maybe somebody can help you.

1 month later
#13 10 years ago

I know it's been a little while and I'm not sure if you've solved your problem, but I've recently started refurbing a friends unit. There are in fact 3 terminals on the coil('68 version). Starting from the backglass heading back to the rear most of the machine, you should have 2 orange leads, plus a red lead(which goes to the EOS switch just below); the middle terminal should have the black return lead from the same EOS switch; and the furthest back(closest to you) terminal should have the white w/ orange by itself.

Also, I'm having trouble with the ball counter. The game seems to play perfectly otherwise, but when the ball drains it just pops it over for another round but doesn't increment the ball counter wheel, such that you can play indefinately. Also, the ball counter never resets when you start a game. Anybody have this problem? I've cleaned just about every contact point, so I'm not sure what's going on.
Thanks!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1968-mini-zag-balley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.