Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Darcy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20170323_224200 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently working on bringing a Royal Guard pin back from the grave, and I was hoping for some advice/opinions on how to go about fixing up this backglass. Attached is about what I'm working with, you can't see it, but most of that paint is actively peeling. My questions are thus:

What kind of hope do I have for repairing this? Is there a type of go-to paint if I want to take a swing at it? Should I be looking into just scrubbing the glass and trying to get my hands on/produce a mylar for the backglass?

As a related question - does anyone have a decent resolution photo of the backglass? All I can find on GIS are low resolution, or have camera glare/angle problems. Whether I try to make my own mylar or try to repaint it myself, a solid reference would really help.

20170323_224200 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Contact BGResto. He may be able to help you.

Yves

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Arcane:

Contact BGResto. He may be able to help you.
Yves

Thanks, I'll look into that. I'm pretty dedicated to fixing this whole thing myself (stress release/health thing), so anything anybody can tell me on how to go at it is very welcome.

#4 3 years ago

There could be replacements. But for some info look up John Jukes in Vancouver. His web site has a section on restorations, with in that is some info on backglass. Google Pinball Backglass restorations, there should even be a few You Tube videos on there.

Your glass will be a challenge to recreate by hand. Unless you are an artist. Original backglass artwork was silkscreened, in layers. A few repoductions use a layered film process. Using photography, computer graphics and a large printer, then hand laying the film.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

There could be replacements. But for some info look up John Jukes in Vancouver. His web site has a section on restorations, with in that is some info on backglass. Google Pinball Backglass restorations, there should even be a few You Tube videos on there.
Your glass will be a challenge to recreate by hand. Unless you are an artist. Original backglass artwork was silkscreened, in layers. A few repoductions use a layered film process. Using photography, computer graphics and a large printer, then hand laying the film.

Thanks for the advice! Right now I'm looking into doing some digital work and trying to print a mylar sheet of the backglass image. I'll miss out on some of the things that are supposed to shine through the paint to show a number or text, but it will at least light up well.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from BoGart:

I'll miss out on some of the things that are supposed to shine through the paint to show a number or text, but it will at least light up well.

If you look at a reproduction backglass the last layer on the back, is the black out layer. Really it could be black, it does have to be a separate layer of film, like in the original backglass, it was not a translucent colour.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Sale Pending!
Camp Hill, PA
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 41.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
Little Shop Of Games
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 209.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
YOYOKOPTER MODS
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 30.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 149.99
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 19.99
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside