(Topic ID: 191322)

1968 Gottlieb Fun Land - What kind of top coat was it?

By PatrickATX

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2777 (resized).JPG
IMG_2776 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider patrickatx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I've read a lot of posts about top coats and much of Vids guide. I'm wondering if people can help guide me with some basic identification. Attached is a close up of the playfield. I'm trying to determine what the top coat is on this. Looks pretty original to me, and top coat looks like it was brushed on. Anyone know what I'm looking at here? Would the original to pcoat from Gottlieb have brush strokes?

IMG_2776 (resized).JPGIMG_2776 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

I should add that I took some 90% ISO and ME and scrubbed hard on some lower pristine finish. Didn't seem to remove the top coat as I thought it would.

#5 6 years ago

Great help guys. I'll do some test swabs with different solvents to see what it is. All the dirt is in that top coat, so I'd like to remove it and maybe I'll be able to just wax it or top coat it again.

#7 6 years ago

Thank you. I'm hoping it's water based poly, but we'll see. I'm using a lot of caution.

#8 6 years ago

A little update for anyone who is curious. I tried a few test areas under the metal apron at the bottom. That top coat didn't budge with xylene, which tells me it was not water based. Lacquer thinner cut through it, so likely a non-water based polyurethane. With some careful application, that coating can be cut through without getting into paint. I'm sure at times I got into the original top coat a little, but I'm just trying to get at the suspended dirt in the poly. Results are pretty good so far and I plan to stop at "pretty good" and not push my luck. Then some Novus II, then a good coat of wax.

New question though: There are finishing nails behind some of the slingshots. Did gottlieb do this or another "clever" owner?
IMG_2777 (resized).JPGIMG_2777 (resized).JPG

#10 6 years ago

That's good to know...thank you

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider patrickatx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1968-gottlieb-fun-land-what-kind-of-top-coat-was-it?tu=patrickatx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.