• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

complete.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hello again everyone!

i recently added coin mechanisms to my Derby Day, and now i have an intermittent connection somewhere that i cant seem to trace out, so i thought id try to get some pointers from you-all.
in the process of adding the coin mechs i didnt do any rewiring, so the connection issue is only slightly related to that event...the issue seems to have occurred because i had something like 34 replays on the game, and i wanted to see if the lock coil on the coin door would work, so i had to drain all those replays before it would energize....so i sat there and turned the machine on, hit two player, then turned the machine off, back on, two player, off, on, two player, off, on.......and so on until all the credits were drained. in all that resetting of the machine i seem to have broken a connection someplace because now sometimes the machine will stop advancing the horses on the back field properly.

with the glass off, you can hit the back targets by hand and you will notice the horses will move forward properly, but only if you hold the target down...if you tap the target quickly like the pinball would do in a normal game, the horses only jostle forward while the connection is being made but stop as soon as the switch opens; so i figure im looking for a lock-in someplace, but i havent the foggiest of where to start.

i do notice that if i tilt the snot out of the machine, you can sometimes find the sweet spot and everything works again...definitely indicative of a loose connection or broken wire. all other playfield functions seem to operate as designed when the machine is malfunctioning....the only other odd thing i have noticed is that once in a while you will hit the number 5 target and the #5 horse will take off all the way to the end of the race, like it locks in and never unlocks until it reaches the end switch, but this problem does not seem to coincide with the intermittent lock-in of the other horses.

im sure thats all about as clear as mud, but i have attempted to scan the wiring schematic for you to look at, im hoping maybe someone can shed some light on this issue....give me some things to test and troubleshoot, because im just at a loss right now. thanks in advance, i appreciate your help!

Foose

complete.jpgcomplete.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I am not the horsewhisperer, but can have a try to let those horses run propely:
The relays are activated by the buttons, but interlocked through their contacts. If you look good in the circuit (E22-24), this interlocking is done through a path which goes through the advance unit, control cam switches, the fast/advance adjustment and the bypass relay. From your story, it would probably in the advance unit or the adjustment plugs

#3 8 years ago

sorry for the no-reply this past week or so, ive been super busy but i did finally get a chance to check out the machine tonight....it turned out to be the advance unit! basically im going to try cleaning all the contacts again, and if worse comes to worse i may need to machine a little collar to shim out the shaft of the unit a little, but im saving that for a last resort. theres alot of contact bending and cleaning i can do before we get to making actual modifications. so thanks again for the help! i was really stumped, and all i needed was a little encouragement and a push in the right direction....pinside comes through with the win once again! wooo!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1967-williams-derby-day-intermittent-scoring and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.