KOD 04 Seq Bank Reset (resized).png
KOD 02 S-rly Energized (resized).png
KOD 01 Power Switch ON (resized).png
9796bb46e1d535d3e3ae841875b3353ed692a3ed (resized).jpg
Ball Unit Switch (resized).jpg
T Switch (resized).jpg
Snarfed (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

Hi all. I am helping my brother with a Gottlieb: King of Diamonds that he got his hand on. I know how Williams and Bally EMs power on but I have not ever worked on a pre-1970's Gottlieb before. Also helping him via phone is a lot of fun too - LOL So I hope you don't might answering a few silly questions because I am ignorant.

If he engages the middle coin mech switch, the game turns on, will game up and actually remove a credit from the Reply Wheel. But I am trying to help him keep the door closed and credits on the Reply Wheel (by explaining how to may it "Free-Play").

Assume powered off (no lights whatsoever) but plugged into wall:
1. Should this game turn on (light up) when you press the left flipper button? Currently it is not but I "think" it should but its a Gottlieb so I do not know.
2. The door has a push button in the lower middle (not the coin returns) to what I assume is the "game up" if you have credits on the Reply Wheel. When you push it, is it suppose to turn on (light up the game) - no credits on the Replay Wheel.
3. When you push this button, is it suppose to turn on (light up the game) and game up - if credits are on the Replay Wheel?
4. The anti-cheat switch (which has a 120v warning sticker next to it) - when you bang the door - is that to turn off the game or tilt the game? Current it is turning off the power.

Right now, it does not seem like the "game up" button does anything at all. The only way to power on / game on is engaging the middle coin mech switch lever.

Sorry for the lame questions on such a simple part of a pinball.
part0-2 (resized).jpgpart0-2 (resized).jpgpart0-8 (resized).jpgpart0-8 (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Found this on : http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#start

1960s & 1970s Gottlieb Start-Up Sequence.
Games with score reels.
1. Inserting a coin or pressing the coin door start button (Gottlieb calls this the "replay" button) activates the "S" (start) relay. The start relay will lock on from its own switch and a score motor switch.
2. The "S" relay will energize the main hold relay to illuminate the game (if this is the first game after power-on).

Power Switch and Power-On Lights?
Keep in mind that pre-1967 EM's (especially Gottlieb's) usually don't have a power switch. On Gottlieb's in particular, you have to start a game to get the General Illumination (GI) lights to work. On Williams and Bally games (even as late as 1977), often pressing the left flipper button will turn the GI lights on (which turns on the Lock/Hold relay.)

On Gottlieb games they never used the flipper buttons to turn on the Lock/Hold relay. Instead usually starting a game is how the Hold relay toggles on. This meant plugging in a Gottlieb game really did nothing - not until a game was started (either by inserting a coin or pressing the start button) did the game "light up." For my home this doesn't work for me. I want a physical power switch, and when the game is on the game should be "lit."

#3 5 years ago

So, now that is quoted and I now know I am not losing my mind why the game has no power switch and I cannot seem to direct my brother on "General Illumination " - I am assuming there is likely some break in a wire for the Gottlieb "replay" button.

That 120v on that switch on the door is a bit scary....

Though speaking of that anti-cheat switch, I did not find if that is supposed to "tilt" the game or power off when you bang on the door.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Odie3:

So, now that is quoted and I now know I am not losing my mind why the game has no power switch and I cannot seem to direct my brother on "General Illumination " - I am assuming there is likely some break in a wire for the Gottlieb "replay" button.
That 120v on that switch on the door is a bit scary....
Though speaking of that anti-cheat switch, I did not find if that is supposed to "tilt" the game or power off when you bang on the door.

My method to turn a gmae off is to open the door and lift the slam switch. It helps not to be in bare feet on cement (minor shock only 4 or five times so far. Im crusty enough with fairly high skin resistance).

but yea as long as there are credits on the wheel you should be able to hit the button to bring it to life. If it starts off of a cion switch THEN its most likely the closed contact on the credit wheel when its off zero. In your case its probably dirty. My non intrusive way to put a credit game on free play is to alligator clip the two pvc (110v) leads on the credit wheel. There are 2 sets of contacts that close off of zero, 1 set feeds the step down coil (open at zero) with cloth wires, then a set with pvc coated wires thats part of the start circuit. If you jumper thes contacts then no need to clean and gap anyway.

Turning the game off you can use my method (shoes on) or tap the bottom of the cab, that opens another contact to drop the hold circuit. Or put the game on a power strip with a switch. Or wire it with a toggle switch for power and face the wrath from me and all the other purists...

#5 5 years ago

You want to be careful with that whole replay button thing because on King of Diamonds the whole circuit runs at 120v:
King of Diamonds Replay button (resized).jpgKing of Diamonds Replay button (resized).jpg
Since the coin chute starts a game we can eliminate some switches. With the power off, and preferably with the game unplugged, see if you can find an issue with the path in red. It's likely that one of those switches isn't closing although it could be a bad solder joint, or jones plug, etc.

/Mark

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Odie3:

Sorry for the lame questions on such a simple part of a pinball.

Not a lame question. For this older game with no On/Off switch per say. A great suggestion from another Pinsider is to plug it into a switchable power bar. Even with the game off, power is in the game, un plugging the game will be the only way to eliminate power within the machine.

#7 5 years ago

Gottliebs don't switch on with the left flipper button as do Williams and some Bally machines.
This is a triple chute game; common for "King of Diamonds". Check the plugs on the motor board which select credits per coin. The game is supposed to start when pressing the small button in the center of the door if there are credits on the replay unit, or if the zero position switch on the replay unit is jumpered closed (free play).
The middle coin chute is 10 cents per play, so it's correct that tripping the coin switch will start the game without adding a credit.
Depending on where the "credits per coin" plug for the third chute is plugged, that coin switch should add "x" credits, but not start the game until the replay button is pressed.
As far as turning the game off, if either the weighted switch on the coin door, or the normally closed switch on the motor board are opened, the hold relay will release, effectively turning the game off. The recommended method is to give the bottom of the cabinet a sharp slap to turn off the game.
Often, the hold relay coil is bad, so the contacts on the relay are sometimes jumpered closed. It sounds like your hold relay is working properly because you say the anti-cheat switch turns off the game when opened.

#8 5 years ago

Wow, lots of GREAT replies after I went to bed. Thank you all for not flaming me, I really expected it.

Quoted from MarkG:

You want to be careful with that whole replay button thing because on King of Diamonds the whole circuit runs at 120v:

Thank you kind sir - yes after my brother took those snapshots of the inner door I spent a good 5 minutes explaining the 120v and not to kill himself. He is in a [car] shop with concrete floors. Also your snip of the schematic is extremely welcomed. He has it there - the pinball paperwork is actually very complete (rather jealous of that - that's rare from all the coin-op games I come across). While he is a bang up expert in auto repair, schematics are not his thing - I might as well ask him to read me original Socrates writings

#9 5 years ago

Well, had a long chat with my brother. He match up the schematic from MarkG to his (which not only is there one original, there are *two* of them - the 2nd one never been opened/used). I went through the path and told him to "divide and conquer" the route with the Replay Wheel showing 1 credit available. So I am trying to get him to test for continuity at the motor up to the replay button. Basically is there a continuity issue before or after the motor.

One odd thing, clearly the purple wire at the motor is correct, per the schematic but once we get to the Reply Wheel / Switch - the wire appears to have changed to "blue". It's not discolored, its really blue up on the Reply Wheel switch (no purple wire to be found) :-/ While we have did a jumper here, still no activity on the Reply Push button

Snarfed (resized).jpgSnarfed (resized).jpgpart0-16 (resized).jpgpart0-16 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Odie3:

One odd thing, clearly the purple wire at the motor is correct, per the schematic but once we get to the Reply Wheel / Switch - the wire appears to have changed to "blue".

Your photo shows that the switch on the Replay Unit connects a brown wire to a blue wire which is also what the schematic shows. But you've skipped over the other switches (T relay and Ball Count Unit) between the Score Motor and the Replay Unit.

#11 5 years ago

Ok, so we have the "T" Switch. In the schematic is says this T Switch is normally opened. When the game has "balls" or the Game is "Over" I am told the actuator has not moved - so I am not sure when this path gets "closed". Also, he other path, the for the ball count unit that needs to be closed when at zero balls?

Quoted from MarkG:

Your photo shows that the switch on the Replay Unit connects a brown wire to a blue wire which is also what the schematic shows. But you've skipped over the other switches (T relay and Ball Count Unit) between the Score Motor and the Replay Unit.

Yes, I have come to realize this just a short bit ago. Im a moron

T Switch (resized).jpgT Switch (resized).jpg

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Odie3:

Ok, so we have the "T" Switch. In the schematic is says this T Switch is normally opened. When the game has "balls" or the Game is "Over" I am told the actuator has not moved - so I am not sure when this path gets "closed". Also, he other path, the for the ball count unit that needs to be closed when at zero balls?

The T relay is the Tilt relay so that switch will only close when the game is tilted. Normally the other switch is used which closes when the Ball Count unit is at zero. If you think about it, it means that you can only start a new game once the current game is over, or if the game is tilted. Apparently the game won't start if you're already playing ball 3 for example.

#13 5 years ago

The caption on your photo says "Lightly push here replay button works". That means that the rest of the circuit is working and you just need to figure out why you can't get through the Ball Count Unit zero position switch or the wiring leading to it.

#14 5 years ago

Hi MarkG -

That's the current route since I gave up on the "T" which you have again enlightenment with pointing out this means "Tilt" and this path will not engage if the game is not "Tilted" - Duh!

So, I had my bother find the Ball Until (funny looking wheel thingy). And I am waiting on the switch photo, so I can direct him on insure its closed when there are no balls.

Quoted from MarkG:

Apparently the game won't start if you're already playing ball 3 for example.

Well, that is troubling. The Coin Mech is non-operational (which we know always works). I can just see the user getting the pinball, unplugging it with 1 ball left and not being able to turn it on. Regardless - THANK you for pointing this out.

#15 5 years ago

Seems our issue is the Ball Unit switch. If we use a jumper, it works. When (game over) and lightly pushed, it works. Brother says it's tricky to get to and he does not see any 'adjustments' to either get peg to hit closer to the switch or the switch to be closer to peg (at game over). So I have directed him to carefully adjust the switch for closer.

EDIT: Post Switch Adjustment corrected the problem of the Replay Button on the Coin Door!!!

Assuming this gets the unit in "normal" operation we can then tackle modifying the pinball for "Free-Play" and better powering on no matter the last state of the game. Which I believe I will go the "T" Replay route by making it closed all the time with a jumper (with proper labeling on what we did on the jumper wire). That way the Replay button will power on the Pinball no matter what. Though I do understand the game can now be "restarted / reset" while in normal play.
Ball Unit Switch (resized).jpgBall Unit Switch (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago

A common way to set a game for free play is to jumper across the Replay (or Credit) Unit zero position switch as mentioned by pinhead52 in reply #4. Jumpering across the Tilt relay switch won't work if you don't already have credits on the Replay Unit.

#17 5 years ago

Hi MarG -

Well, I'm not liking jumpering the Replay Switches (two I believe) - so we have given the Wheel ~10 credits and disabled the coil so credits cannot be removed. So with the "T" jumper and the Replay (Remove a Credit) Coil disabled all seems operational with turning the game on from power off and this part appears in good order. Also we have Free Play forever - basically stuck at "10 Credits".

Though somehow my brother has gotten a coil knocker to always be engaged. This knocker is tied to the Ball Unit and turns on at Ball 1 and stays "Up" until Game Over... Best that I can tell, this knocker is not in the path of what we been "adjusting" - so I have sent him off to find this knocker in the schematic.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Odie3:

so we have given the Wheel ~10 credits and disabled the coil so credits cannot be removed. So with the "T" jumper and the Replay (Remove a Credit) Coil disabled all seems operational with turning the game on from power off and this part appears in good order.

You shouldn't need the jumper across the T relay switch if the Ball Count unit switch is working.

Quoted from Odie3:

This knocker is tied to the Ball Unit and turns on at Ball 1 and stays "Up" until Game Over...

Do you mean the Knocker mounted to the side of the cabinet that should fire when you win a free game, or one of the two solenoids with a plunger on the Ball Count Unit stepper?

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

You shouldn't need the jumper across the T relay switch if the Ball Count unit switch is working.

I am pretty sure you do, if you unplug the game and it is in "Game On" (say on ball 3 of 5) then the Replay Start button is disabled. If I am reading everything correctly.

Well the Knocker is all good. It seems my brother had to move the "G" relay around or something and it was stuck on. He move it back or reversed whatever he had to do and all is well again.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from Odie3:

I am pretty sure you do, if you unplug the game and it is in "Game On" (say on ball 3 of 5) then the Replay Start button is disabled. If I am reading everything correctly.

Interesting. It looks like that's a scenario they didn't design for. In that case you'd need to drop a coin to get the game to start even if you had credits.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Interesting. It looks like that's a scenario they didn't design for. In that case you'd need to drop a coin to get the game to start even if you had credits.

Which is why I am jumpering the "T" part of the Replay path

It's all tested and seems all cases are covered (powered off, powered on). It's a very odd design with no power switch that turns the lights on and basically in "tilt" mode. Its less likely the "power on" happen all that often when the game was in "coin" mode and likely no problem for the business owner to drop a coin in if by chance the game was unplugged while "in game".

However, we have no "Coin Mechs" so we can't just drop a coin in *and* we don't want the kids opening the door. Not only are kids not careful (not breaking stuff), we do not want the 10 year olds getting ZAPPED with 120v!!

#22 5 years ago

If you haven't already you may want to read up on replacing the power cord with a new, 3 pronged power cord and grounding all of the external metal surfaces. That way, even if the thin insulating fish paper between the 120v switches and the front door for example wears away, the game will blow a fuse or circuit breaker rather than shock someone unlucky enough to touch the (live rather than floating) replay button.

#23 5 years ago

Funny you mention that... that's my next task for my brother. I did read that ( http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#shock ) and can clearly see how the metal Replay button can do that, if that fish paper become unaligned or disintegrates in some way. What a horrible design!

MarkG - I really like to thank you for all your expert help. As I said earlier, I really thought I was going to get a shellacking when I posted what I needed to learn.

#24 5 years ago

"T" Replay Jumper Modification in attached photo. Which assumes you have credits or in Free Play mode.

9796bb46e1d535d3e3ae841875b3353ed692a3ed (resized).jpg9796bb46e1d535d3e3ae841875b3353ed692a3ed (resized).jpg

#25 5 years ago

Perhaps this will help with the "Big Picture" in the KOD reset sequence. The following 12 clips show the complete sequence broken down into logical-sequential parts. This may not be *perfectly* accurate so please if y'all do see errors point them out.

My pin has jumpers across 2 switches, which is reflected in the diagramming:
- Zero position Ball countswitch is jumpered
- Zero position Replay switch is jumpered

KOD 01 Power Switch ON (resized).pngKOD 01 Power Switch ON (resized).pngKOD 02 S-rly Energized (resized).pngKOD 02 S-rly Energized (resized).pngKOD 03 S-rly Closed (resized).pngKOD 03 S-rly Closed (resized).pngKOD 04 Seq Bank Reset (resized).pngKOD 04 Seq Bank Reset (resized).pngKOD 05 Mot 1A Pulse (resized).pngKOD 05 Mot 1A Pulse (resized).pngKOD 06 Control Bank Reset (resized).pngKOD 06 Control Bank Reset (resized).pngKOD 07 S-rly Opens (resized).pngKOD 07 S-rly Opens (resized).pngKOD 08 Score Reels Reset (resized).pngKOD 08 Score Reels Reset (resized).pngKOD 09 DB Latches Open (resized).pngKOD 09 DB Latches Open (resized).pngKOD 10 Match Relay Closed (resized).pngKOD 10 Match Relay Closed (resized).pngKOD 11 Outhole Coil Fires (resized).pngKOD 11 Outhole Coil Fires (resized).pngKOD 12 Ball Count Incr Game Ready (resized).pngKOD 12 Ball Count Incr Game Ready (resized).png
#26 5 years ago

The "T" relay is the TILT relay/switch and doesn't need to be jumpered for the game to work. Doing so will disable the Tilt function from working at all.

The zero position of the Ball Count unit should be jumpered closed. Look at the "Step 2" slide above (the second pic) to see how works this way.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Staunton, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1967-gottlieb-king-of-diamonds-powering-on-theory and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.