Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 38 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by currieddog
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hot line (resized).jpg
    Capture (resized).PNG
    100_5929 (resized).JPG
    100_5928 (resized).JPG
    100_5927 (resized).JPG
    100_5926 (resized).JPG
    100_5925 (resized).JPG
    100_5924 (resized).JPG
    100_5920 (resized).JPG
    100_5919 (resized).JPG
    100_5918 (resized).JPG
    100_5917 (resized).JPG
    100_5922 (resized).JPG
    100_5923 (resized).JPG
    100_5921 (resized).JPG
    4673D4A0-5598-45A4-8757-74493F3FF10A (resized).jpeg
    #1 3 years ago

Hello all,
    I saved a 1966 Williams Hot Line from a farmers burn pile and I'm trying to bring it back to life. I think we all should do our best to save these senior machines before they disappear.
    It looks like whatever grease they used on the backbox mechs dried up, froze up and literally smoked several coils. Does anyone have any leads on a lockdown bar? PBR is out of stock. I've started with the obvious issues in the back box and I'm hoping the parts list doesn't grow because of issues that may be on the playfield and cabinet.

#2 3 years ago

Photos please!

Sounds like you earned your merit badge on this one!

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from onefunbug:

Does anyone have any leads on a lockdown bar?

Great game!!

I got a lockdown bar for another machine via a wanted ad here.

#4 3 years ago

Hot Line is very fun. Congratulations and thank you for saving it. Fortunately I think they used that lockdown bar forever. It should be fairly easy to find.

#5 3 years ago

Can someone post a stock photo of the lockdown bar? I have a few of them, maybe one of them will work for you?

Alberto

#6 3 years ago

It is a pretty standard one.

IMG_1183 (resized).JPGIMG_1183 (resized).JPG
    #7 3 years ago

Hello, I'm going to try the bar from my Jubilee and my Knockout to see how they fit and I'll post a couple pics.
    thanks bill

#8 3 years ago

The Jubilee should be the same. Knockout is a Bally. Pretty similar looking but it will be interesting to see if it actually fits.

#9 3 years ago

Hello all, I tried my Jubilee lockdown bar and it seems to work fine on the Hot Line.
    Would I be better shopping around for a certain era of lockdown bars that were common on Williams EM games?
    Attached are a few pics of the Jubilee bar.
    I'll try to post some pics of the smoked/soot Hot Line and the pics after a few hours of denatured alcohol, a toothbrush and about fifteen coils.

100_5907 (resized).JPG100_5907 (resized).JPG100_5908 (resized).JPG100_5908 (resized).JPG100_5909 (resized).JPG100_5909 (resized).JPG100_5910 (resized).JPG100_5910 (resized).JPG100_5911 (resized).JPG100_5911 (resized).JPG100_5912 (resized).JPG100_5912 (resized).JPG100_5913 (resized).JPG100_5913 (resized).JPG100_5914 (resized).JPG100_5914 (resized).JPG
    #10 3 years ago
    Quoted from onefunbug:

Would I be better shopping around for a certain era of lockdown bars that were common on Williams EM games?

Why? If it fits, works, and looks ok ...

#11 3 years ago

This one is on Ebay. $38.70 with shipping.
    ebay.com link: Williams Standard length 22 Pinball machine Lock down bar My last one

Pretty decent deal I think but you might find one at a better price from a Pinsider.

#12 3 years ago

I have several extra lockdown bars that would be exactly what you need. I’m near you in Marietta GA

Mike V

#13 3 years ago

Hi Curriedog, those are pics of the lockdown bar off my Jubilee. I sent the pics of it because it does fit the Hot Line.

Hello RacingPin how do we swap info???

#14 3 years ago

Thank you AlexF for the info. Maybe RacingPin will have one locally.
    Here's some pics of what I found in the backbox. Coil burnt and broke off match unit, the score drums and ball count would not even turn. Several coils burnt and some with melted sleeves. Top relay coils shorted. Whatever lube they used was like dried up tacky old vegetable oil goo. I guess they let helen keller use a paint brush and a bucket of pork fat to lube this game.

IMG_3120 (resized).JPGIMG_3120 (resized).JPGIMG_3121 (resized).JPGIMG_3121 (resized).JPGIMG_3122 (resized).JPGIMG_3122 (resized).JPGIMG_3123 (resized).JPGIMG_3123 (resized).JPGIMG_3124 (resized).JPGIMG_3124 (resized).JPGIMG_3125 (resized).JPGIMG_3125 (resized).JPGIMG_3127 (resized).JPGIMG_3127 (resized).JPGIMG_3128 (resized).JPGIMG_3128 (resized).JPG
    #15 3 years ago
    Quoted from onefunbug: Hello RacingPin how do we swap info???

Just send me a PM. It is the email icon in my avatar in the top left. I will have all the other parts you need as well

Mike V

#16 3 years ago

Hi Mike, let me know if you got the PM.
    thank Bill

#17 3 years ago
    Quoted from onefunbug:

Hi Mike, let me know if you got the PM.
    thank Bill

Bill

I’m glad Mike has you covered, the lockbar I have would not have worked. The locking mechanism is different and it’s only 2 3/4” wide

Alberto

4673D4A0-5598-45A4-8757-74493F3FF10A (resized).jpeg4673D4A0-5598-45A4-8757-74493F3FF10A (resized).jpeg
    #18 3 years ago

Nothing like cleaning off some damn fool’s vaporized grease.

No one told me pinball restoration would be 90% cleaning

#19 3 years ago

Marco has new Williams lockdown bars. Slightly different from the old ones but work fine

#20 3 years ago

Hello all, here's a quick update match unit, ball count and score drums cleaned, adjusted and new coils installed. Next will be player unit, back box relays and jones plugs, waiting on .17 HMR bore brushes to come in.
    I would welcome any advice and knowledge on this game.

100_5921 (resized).JPG100_5921 (resized).JPG100_5922 (resized).JPG100_5922 (resized).JPG100_5923 (resized).JPG100_5923 (resized).JPG
    #21 3 years ago

The ink on the score reels is very fragile. I’d recommend nothing more than a bit of dish soap and gentle cleaning with a cloth.

#22 3 years ago

Hi dr_nybble yes I found out the hard way, when I was working on my Jubilee, to not use anything other than soap and water.
    Luckily I scored some replacement score reels from nabours.

To All I could use some input. I opened up the belly of the beast and found a couple more smoked and melted coils. The confusing thing is the coil chart and the schematics only show a knocker and a large bell but there's an additional bell in the cabinet ??? Any ideas????

100_5917 (resized).JPG100_5917 (resized).JPG100_5918 (resized).JPG100_5918 (resized).JPG100_5919 (resized).JPG100_5919 (resized).JPG100_5920 (resized).JPG100_5920 (resized).JPG
    #23 3 years ago

Someone found it easier somehow to jumper off the dead coil rather than replace it? Weird.

Looks like a lot of mold in there

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

The ink on the score reels is very fragile. I’d recommend nothing more than a bit of dish soap and gentle cleaning with a cloth.

I have never lost any ink, ever, on a Williams or Bally game. You can use Mean Green and Novus 3 and 2 and they will hold up fine.

You do that with a Gottlieb and you'll end up with a blank reel.

#25 3 years ago

Hello dr_nybble, yes, it was a little fuzzy in the machine but nothing an air gun and a toothbrush didn't knock off.

Hello EMsInKC, I was going to use more than soap and water but I can't find any replacement williams 4" score reels in case the cleaning goes bad.

1 week later
    #26 3 years ago

Hello, I'd like to thank RacingPin and TopMoose for helping me plug away at trying to get this machine working.
    I took a break from staring at wires and dirty contacts and thought I would attempt a little cosmetic TLC.
    I need to find someone local with EM skills to trade for my labor skills.

100_5924 (resized).JPG100_5924 (resized).JPG100_5928 (resized).JPG100_5928 (resized).JPG100_5925 (resized).JPG100_5925 (resized).JPG100_5927 (resized).JPG100_5927 (resized).JPG100_5926 (resized).JPG100_5926 (resized).JPG100_5929 (resized).JPG100_5929 (resized).JPG
    #27 3 years ago

Lugs might hit the apron oriented that way.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Lugs might hit the apron oriented that way.

They will. Guaranteed.

#29 3 years ago

Yes they will get mashed by the apron, I used the mount to hold the coil while I soldered the wires on and didn't rotate it back before snapping the pic.

#30 3 years ago

I need some professional EM help.
    I've been able to get the game to power on, push play, credit decreases, score reels and ball in play reset to 1, ball kicks out.
    Activate a couple playfield switches to put up a score, ball drains and kicks back out but does not increment ball in play ????

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from onefunbug:

ball drains and kicks back out but does not increment ball in play ????

It may be score motor sw. 2B or the BCU itself.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
    #32 3 years ago

Hi currieddog, the jones plug in the backbox is in the five ball position. Should it be put in the 3 ball position?
    I also found something else crazy going on. If you activate the right coin switch it puts credits up, if you activate the center or left coin switch they respond like the credit switch and goes thru the reset.
    I'll see what the switches look like on the score drum.
    thank you

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from onefunbug:

the jones plug in the backbox is in the five ball position. Should it be put in the 3 ball position?

For what? It should play correctly on either setting.

#34 3 years ago

I was asking because the schematic said 3 ball advance. I didn't know if it worked in parallel with the 5 ball.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from onefunbug:

I was asking because the schematic said 3 ball advance. I didn't know if it worked in parallel with the 5 ball.

Where do you see that? There are some different advance settings in you are playing 3 ball, such as on HOT LINE, but not on the BCU.

#36 3 years ago

Hello, I must have mis-spoke, I didn't mean on the BCU. I was asking about the snipit you sent. It shows 2B switch (advance 3 ball count), there's a jones plug in the back box with about 8 wires on it and it's labeled 3 ball in the bottom position and five ball in the top position. I didn't know if that mattered.

#37 3 years ago

Hot Line is the first dot matrix display pinball

Bravo Mr Steve Kordek !

https://www.ipdb.org/files/1245/Williams_1966_Hot_Line_Animated_Rollover_Button_Letter_Sequence.gif

hot line (resized).jpghot line (resized).jpg

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from onefunbug:

I was asking because the schematic said 3 ball advance.

Easy to mistake that writing: it's actually "Advances Ball Count SU"

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1966-williams-hot-line?hl=ballycrazy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.