Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hello all, I am having an issue with the outhole kicker on my EM machine.

It activates fine, but does not seem to have the power to get the ball into the shooter lane each time. Sometimes it will, most times it cant.

I took out the original solenoid and replaced it with a spare I had on hand. Same issue. Its actually a bit worse now.

#2 9 years ago

I assume you replaced the coil sleeve.

Check the angle of the coil and bracket in relation to the lane. Is the ball shooting straight out or does it hit the wall?
--Jeff

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Necromancer:

Hello all, I am having an issue with the outhole kicker on my EM machine.
It activates fine, but does not seem to have the power to get the ball into the shooter lane each time. Sometimes it will, most times it cant.
I took out the original solenoid and replaced it with a spare I had on hand. Same issue. Its actually a bit worse now.

Check the score motor switch that activates the kicker. Make sure it's clean and adjusted properly. In fact, make sure all the switches that are in the path are clean and adjusted.

Quite often in cases like this, it's not the coil itself, it's that the coil isn't getting enough current.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

I assume you replaced the coil sleeve.
Check the angle of the coil and bracket in relation to the lane. Is the ball shooting straight out or does it hit the wall?
--Jeff

The angle seems good, the ball is being sent straight up the center without hitting anything, it just seems to have trouble making it over the crest. I put the original solenoid back in and the ball will make it over now a few times.

It does seem like its getting different amount of current each time. Occasionally it will fire very weak and barely move the ball an inch, other it will send it flying into the shooter lane.

I can try to clean and adjust the score motor switch, Ill just need to figure out which one that may be.

#5 9 years ago

Not familiar with the Williams kicker, but if it's constructed like Gottlieb, I resolved a too-powerful kick by putting new springs from PBR on the sliding plate mechanism. You could try shortening up the spring a wind or two. For reasons not apparent to me, the correct tension is critical.

Just read the post about the erratic launches, so scratch this suggestion.

#6 9 years ago

Ok, well I got it to kick out about 50/50 after cleaning up some switches on the outhole relay. I'm not sure which motor switch I need to address just yet though. So there is some improvement, just not 100%

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Necromancer:

The angle seems good, the ball is being sent straight up the center without hitting anything, it just seems to have trouble making it over the crest. I put the original solenoid back in and the ball will make it over now a few times.
It does seem like its getting different amount of current each time. Occasionally it will fire very weak and barely move the ball an inch, other it will send it flying into the shooter lane.
I can try to clean and adjust the score motor switch, Ill just need to figure out which one that may be.

I looked at the schematic on IPDB for Hot Line, which was right next to Casanova in production.

The switches, at least on that game, are switches on the Outhole relay, the outhole switch itself, and make/break motor switches at Index A and cam 4D. 4D appears to be the switch that will actually pulse the coil to kick the ball.

I can't at all guarantee that the motor setup for Casanova is the same, but since there is no schematic for Casanova that's as close as I can come. The schematic for Pot 'O Gold, which was a 1965 Williams two player, has the ball release switches on the motor at the same location.

It is also possible that it's out of line and smacking the ball against the underside of the apron or against the sides of the trough. But I've had luck adjusting those switches, especially on Williams as they tended to shoot the ball straighter than Gottlieb, which had more of the alignment issues.

#8 9 years ago

Thank you EmsInKC, That helps alot, I will take a look at those switches now that I see where they maybe, see if I can clean them up.

#9 9 years ago

Thank you everyone. The motor switch that sends current to the kicker seems to have been the problem. I cleaned it up and the kicker now sends the ball out strong. Problem solved!

#10 9 years ago

Great!!! Glad you got the problem solved. Always feels good to ferret these kinds of things out. Thanks for reporting back.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1966-williams-casanova-weak-outhole-kicker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.