(Topic ID: 233152)

1966 Gottlieb Dancing Lady proto/sample?

By Wmsfan-GAP

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15 (resized).jpeg
16 (resized).jpeg
14 (resized).jpeg
13 (resized).jpeg
12 (resized).jpeg
11 (resized).jpeg
10 (resized).jpeg
09 (resized).jpeg
08 (resized).jpeg
07 (resized).jpeg
06 (resized).jpeg
05 (resized).jpeg
04 (resized).jpeg
02 (resized).jpeg
03 (resized).jpeg
01 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

I picked this up over a month ago and finally getting around to it. When I posted it in 'what game did you bring home today' thread, I had several people comment that this looked a little different. I have not set it up yet or power it on. Here is what I know-

Individual I got the game from said its been in his parents house since he was a kid- well over 40 years. He remembers going to pick the game up with his dad from the owner of the company which was making Gottlieb cabinets at the time, August Johnson. This game was at the owners house. Seller also told me nothing has been done to the game other then replacing burnt bulbs and rings, and an occasional Millwax cleaning.

The cabinet is not the correct cabinet for this game. It's actully the paint design for Gtb Super Score (Apr. 1967)- which comes out six months after Dancing Lady. And, the paint colors on my game, are the ones pictured on the flyer for Super Score, but not the production colors.

IPDB Super Score-
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2441

The ballerina in my game is pink plastic with a silver outfit. All of the other ones on ipdb are yellow. Comparing them, it does look factory.

IPDB Dancing lady-
https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=635

After talking to a couple of pinsiders about serial number locations for this era game, I can tell you there is none stamped into this game. There is only one marking on the cabinet at all (picture below) and it states "Model SL8". Any idea what that means?

The coin door area does not have coin chutes, and looking at the inside, does not appear that there ever was any. Seller indicated that it never had any.

If anyone could offer a bit more insight or discussion, it would be appreciated.

#dancing-lady

01 (resized).jpeg01 (resized).jpeg02 (resized).jpeg02 (resized).jpeg03 (resized).jpeg03 (resized).jpeg04 (resized).jpeg04 (resized).jpeg05 (resized).jpeg05 (resized).jpeg06 (resized).jpeg06 (resized).jpeg07 (resized).jpeg07 (resized).jpeg08 (resized).jpeg08 (resized).jpeg09 (resized).jpeg09 (resized).jpeg10 (resized).jpeg10 (resized).jpeg11 (resized).jpeg11 (resized).jpeg12 (resized).jpeg12 (resized).jpeg13 (resized).jpeg13 (resized).jpeg14 (resized).jpeg14 (resized).jpeg15 (resized).jpeg15 (resized).jpeg16 (resized).jpeg16 (resized).jpeg

#2 5 years ago

Some where on Pinside, some one has written that Gottlieb did do one off games for employees, and suppliers. As single purchase or even given as gifts. The game was going directly into a home, and didn't need coin slots and accompanying parts. The one off games have been seen with different artwork or the same artwork in a different colour scheme.

#3 5 years ago

pretty sure you will find "model SL8" is just the actual cabinet .. the box itself.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Some where on Pinside, some one has written that Gottlieb did do one off games for employees, and suppliers. As single purchase or even given as gifts. The game was going directly into a home, and didn't need coin slots and accompanying parts. The one off games have been seen with different artwork or the same artwork in a different colour scheme.

I'll see if I can find a thread on that. Thanks

#5 5 years ago

What an awesome find. Is the game a one owner machine?
Any story or history come with this game?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

pretty sure you will find "model SL8" is just the actual cabinet .. the box itself.

It could be- it's the only marking anywhere on cabinet, and it's on the floor of the cabinet in coinbox area...

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

What an awesome find. Is the game a one owner machine?

I guess it's a HUO game with me being the 3rd owner. Just under 11k plays on the meter.

#8 5 years ago

I remember you posting this on the other Thread, and I felt it's Dancing Lady being
pink very interesting..
When cleaning the playfield, I'm curious what number may be under the upper tray..
Either way, I'd be very pleased with this pick up, and it wouldn't surprise me if
Jay (IPDB) would have interest.. (T)

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

I remember you posting this on the other Thread, and I felt it's Dancing Lady being
pink very interesting..
When cleaning the playfield, I'm curious what number may be under the upper tray..
Either way, I'd be very pleased with this pick up, and it wouldn't surprise me if
Jay (IPDB) would have interest.. (T)

Upper tray meaning the upper arch at the top pf the playfield?

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

Upper tray meaning the upper arch at the top pf the playfield?

Yes, the upper ball arch tray. Underneath, on the top left of the playfield
I believe would be the serial number along with the title..
It's easily noticeable that the Dancing Lady's color is factory. I'd say you
have one (or at most, one of a very few) of a kind..

#11 5 years ago

That's an interesting piece. There is a variant or sample version of "Dancing Lady" which has marked differences from the regular production game. Aside from the odd cabinet and the difference in the ballerina model in your game, it's main components (playfield and backglass) are consistent with the regular production game. The differences can be seen here: https://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=Dancing+Lady&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#635
Sample games have a shorter lightbox and backglass. The backglass art and playfield details differ between the sample and production models.
Years ago, operators would remove coin gear from games they sold to private owners so that they could no longer be operated publicly. However, I can't explain the variant cabinet and unpunched coin entry plate on your machine. As you mentioned, the graphic design on your game matches that of "Hi-Score"/"Super Score", but the coloring is different. As someone else mentioned, the SL-8 is the model number of the cabinet. Cabinets were not manufactured by Gottlieb, but rather by an outside vendor commissioned by Gottlieb.
(EDIT)- I see you posted the IPDB link for "Dancing Lady" already. Compare your backglass and playfield to those shown there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1966-gottlieb-dancing-lady-proto-sample?hl=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.