• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dl-988.jpg
dl.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Just had to make a post about how impressed I am with this machine's gameplay!

This is a great multi-player machine, where a 4 player game takes only about 10 minutes and nobody is out of the game until the their 5th ball drains!

Gameplay is simple, yet highly addictive. The big points come from the roto-targets in the middle, and aligning the inserts correctly, which you have some 'control' over. The red/yellow inserts rotate with the respective red/yellow jet hits and red/yellow sling hits. The lit rollovers at the top will Spin the targets, as will the side lanes which are midway up, not to mention the saucer when lit. So, as you can see, getting everything lined up for that perfect 500 point shot is very difficult, and you normally only get one shot at it because the rebound sends roto to spinning and inserts a scrolling.

And the point swings continue into the outlanes! A/B/C/D in the outlanes correspond to the value of the roto-target at that position. Crazy!

We had a game where on ball 5 everyone was way behind the leader at 1400 points, and player 3's final shot was a 500 point roto shot which rebounded into a 500 point outlane drain, BOOM with 1,000 in under a second, and just like that we have a winner.

The point swings are just huge! Unfortunately the highest displayed score is 1,999.... so you do have to watch it when you get those big shots lined up and rebounding just right, because it'll blow right by it.

The importance of lining up the inserts is illustrated in the playfield picture below. You can see a 200 point shot is lined up. If just the red OR yellow insert is lit, it's a 20 point shot. If none, it's a 2 point shot. If both, it's 200. That's the game in a nutshell. Very simple, yet incredibly addictive, and a heckuva multiplayer machine!

Just a PSA for the guys looking for new fun machines for their collection which won't break the bank, especially for those who enjoy quick competitive games with friends which don't take half the evening!

dl.jpgdl.jpg dl-988.jpgdl-988.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Nice game review mechslave

#3 10 years ago

That is an awesome EM with that really cool spinning roto target feature. Definitely a keeper.

#4 10 years ago

Was this the one on ebay a year ago? I forgot to bid in the last hour, really stupid and and felt a bit miffed about forgetting since.

As for not breaking the bank, it's not an easy to find game.

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

Was this the one on ebay a year ago? I forgot to bid in the last hour, really stupid and and felt a bit miffed about forgetting since.

As for not breaking the bank, it's not an easy to find game.

Not from eBay. A friend of mine found this in a warehouse last year and I got it from him.

They are hard to find, but in this day and age of Stern and JJP LE pricing, it's still not going to break the bank, relatively speaking. But you're right in that it'll cost you more than the average 60's Gottlieb, and backbox animation Gottlieb's always up the price a little more as well.

#6 10 years ago

I have been casually looking for a Dancing Lady. What should one expect to pay for a nice example?

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from johnnypinball:

I have been casually looking for a Dancing Lady. What should one expect to pay for a nice example?

I really don't know. I got this from a friend out of a warehouse, so my price paid is not anything to go by. I did a search and hadn't seen one really sell in years. I'd guess anywhere from $700-1500, depending on condition. Just guessing, though.

#8 10 years ago

If I could find a nice one for 700.00 I'd be all over that lady.

#9 10 years ago

Playfiled layout look somewhat similiar to my Dodge City. Do love the E/M's. Gald that you enjoy yours as much as I do. I have a F-14 and while I do enjoy a game now and then on that, you will mostly find me playing my older E/M's. The multi thousand dollar games are way to rich for my blood. Some of the newer as well look as though they took a bucket full of parts and just dumped it into the playfield.

Enjoy,

George

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Playfiled layout look somewhat similiar to my Dodge City. Do love the E/M's. Gald that you enjoy yours as much as I do. I have a F-14 and while I do enjoy a game now and then on that, you will mostly find me playing my older E/M's. The multi thousand dollar games are way to rich for my blood. Some of the newer as well look as though they took a bucket full of parts and just dumped it into the playfield.
Enjoy,
George

It's got the same bottom. But the projection roto scores differently. I figured it out while playing the one at PAPA but I've forgotten how it scores... Something to do with the order you've lit those projection inserts. I'd love to grab a Dodge City one day, what a great animated back box!

#11 10 years ago

Nice looking Pin, Looks like it might be a player, IMO most multi player Gott's of the early 60's are Turds, I hope that you enjoy it.
Brian

#12 10 years ago

Yeah, I think most EM's of the era are hit/miss. I just dig the point swings and control you have in order to set up the big shots. I think the fact that DL is a multi-player is a benefit to the machine!

A friend came over last week while I was unwrapping another game, so I coined up DL for him and let him play while I was unwrapping. He played a couple games and then switched over to Metallica: "I'm not crazy about the older machines...."

Well the same friend visited a few days later, and I was playing DL head's up with another friend, and he immediately changed his tune when he saw us all worked up, trying to setup the big shots and big drains.... We explained the rules to him quickly and the three of us ended up playing 3-player games on DL for the next hour.

All the EM's can be perceived as boring if you're just flipping around. But if the player really understands the objectives, it's a lot more fun. One of the reasons why I made this thread...

2 weeks later
#13 10 years ago

Tough game to find. I got one off fleabay many years ago; paid a fortune to have it trucked to me and it turned out to have been a rat haven. I got most of the stank out of it, but it's going to need a full restoration. It's not bad cosmetically. I'd love to find a nice one. Love the cabinet art design as well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1966-gottlieb-dancing-lady and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.