Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 43 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mopar
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

567810978 (resized).jpg
    567810992 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 5 years ago

Okay, so yes, the Coin Relay should activate the Start Relay. I expect that maybe you already have
    cleaned and checked the contacts in the Coin Relay, and also, when the game is over and in the Game
    Over Relay is in the energized position, there's a set of contacts in the G.O. Relay that should be making
    to complete the circuit to the Start Relay when the Coin Relay is energized. You'll want to make sure the
    switches in the G.O. Relay are clean and adjusted properly. Also, before adjusting the switches, it's always
    a good idea to make sure the switch stack screws are snugged and tight. So a set of contacts in the Coin
    Relay (when the Coin Relay is energized), and in the G.O. (Game Over) Relay when the G.O. Relay is in
    the energized position, has to be made for the Start Relay to energize. Also, once the Frame Step Up Unit
    advances past the 1st frame, (so on frames 2 - 10), the Coin Relay should energize the Start Relay.
    I'm not sure on your machine if the Frame Step Up has a set of switches that make when it's on any other
    frame than the 1st, or if that circuitry goes through the Frame Unit's wiper board, but those are the places
    you'll want to check. Also, you'll want to make sure the wires on the Start Relay coil doesn't have a bad
    solder tab..

#4 5 years ago

Okay, for the Frame Unit to step up, the "Player Reset Relay" needs to first energize shortly before the Frame
    Unit suppose to step up. You'll want to check if the Player Reset Relay is energizing. If it is, you'll want to inspect
    the contacts in that relay for cleaning and adjusting (or can inspect them anyway). If it's not energizing, you'll
    want to check both the "Coin" and "Player Step Up" Units and make sure the wiper boards are cleaned (and lubed)
    and that their wipers are in line and making good contact with their rivets. Also maybe give the wiring a quick look
    and make sure all looks okay (on the wiper board's solder tabs)..
    We'll first do that, and then see where we're at.. (T)

1 week later
    #6 5 years ago

I don't have the schematics for your exact machine, but there's a few other places to look..
    I believe two sets of closed contacts in the "Score Control Relay". A set of contacts that's
    NO (normally opened) that runs off the score motor's cam. The schematics that I'm looking
    at states that set is in the score motor's 8th position, and also that circuitry goes through the
    Score Motor's wiper board. So you'll want to make sure the Score Motor's wiper and wiper
    board are clean and making good contact with each other. Also, that circuitry goes through
    the "Extra Shots" Unit disc (wiper board) when the Extra Shots Unit is in the 0 position (all
    the way reset). So you'll want to make sure the Extra Shots wiper along with it's wiper board
    is clean and making good contact. Also, if your machine has a "Bonus Relay", you'll want to check
    the contacts in that relay. Let us know how you make out..
    BTW, The Frame Step Up coil looks okay, right? Also, its solder tabs look okay?

#8 5 years ago

Your welcome. No problem..
    It'll be fine to stay with this post. I'll check back.
    Yes, it's always a good idea to go through and check all the Step-Up-Units.
    Along with the Strike/Spare Step Ups, there's quite a few. Just take your time
    and clean them up the best you can..
    Maybe not the Game Selector Step Up, but most others should be alike, so if you run in
    a problem such as how a spring was attached, you can always compare with another
    Step-Up-Unit..

1 week later
    #10 5 years ago

Okay, I would first check the switches in both the 1st and 2nd Shot Relays. When both are in the energized
    position, both have a set of switches that are closed. You'll want to clean and make sure the switches have
    good contact..

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

Although I have found pinball schematics ok to navigate I cannot say the same for those for ball bowlers so your info is to me particularly helpful. Thks Mopar.

And Thank You for the thanks!
    Since the mid 90s, ball bowlers have interested me, so I got pretty good at them. I see that others help out with pinball,
    but not so much with ball bowlers, so when I notice a thread on bowlers, I try to help out..
    I have no idea how many 100s of hours I spent on restoring bowlers, and still enjoy bringing them back to life..
    Bowlers, Pinball, and EM Arcades has been a great Winter hobby..

#15 5 years ago

Okay, on the pin reset motor, I believe your machine has a pin reset relay on the pin deck.
    You'll want to check that relay along with it's contacts. Also, the pin reset motor's cam has
    a run-out switch. You'll want to be sure that is opening after the motor completes its
    rotation..
    On the 10s not scoring. It must be that the 10-90 Score Relay isn't energizing for a strike
    or spare. You'll want to check the contacts in the 1-10 Relay (probably a make break), the
    switches in the 2nd Ball Relay, and also a set of switches that should be made after start
    up in the Game Over and Start Relays. Also, if your machine has an 11th Frame Relay, you'll
    want to check the switches in that relay..

#18 5 years ago

Okay, in the 1st frame, the 1st shot is a strike. It goes to the 2nd frame with no score showing.
    In the 2nd frame, your first shot is 3 pins, nothing should score yet (not with a strike up), 2nd shot
    you get 0 pins, so between the two shots in the 2nd frame, you got 3 pins. After the 2nd shot is
    when the strike counts 10, plus 3 pins, and then the score motor recycles (through the 1st
    Players Strike/Spare Step Up Unit), and counts another 3 pins, so going into the 3rd frame,
    your score is 16 with no marks showing. If in the 1st frame you pick 3 pins the 1st shot, and then
    pick the remaining 7 on the 2nd shot, a spare should show, with no score yet showing going into the
    frame. The 2nd frame, 1st shot, you pick 3 pins. The spare's 10 points chalks up, plus 3 points
    for the 3 pins picked, so 13 points show, with the 2nd shot yet to be thrown. On the 2nd
    shot, you pick the remaining 7 pins, the score should stay on 13 with a spare showing.
    If the 2nd shot you only pick 6 of the 7 remaining pins, those 6 should count up showing
    19 with no marks (spare or strike) showing going into the 3rd frame).
    If you make a strike or spare, does it show on the backglass?

#21 5 years ago

With an open, no points with a strike. It should just show a strike (X).
    With a spare, a strike would score 20, then an X would stay up.
    With a strike showing, a strike would score 0 points, and show XX
    With 2 strikes showing, a strike would score 30 points, and keep XX up.
    Had you cleaned the Player Step Up Unit? The wipers in that unit I believe
    may be spring loaded. You'll want to make sure those spring loaded wipers
    move freely and are not sticky, and also that the wiper board is clean (and lubed).
    The scoring (including the strike and spare points), go through the Player Step
    Up Unit..

#24 5 years ago

If there's a spare (/) or double strike (XX) up when tossing a strike, the 10-90 Relay
    should energize right after the bell rings. When manually energizing the 1-9 score relay,
    the 10-90 score relay energizes after the 1-9 score relay has been tapped 10 times,
    right? So the 10 - 90 score relay's coil is okay. When the 10 - 90 relay energizes, that
    circuitry goes through the 1-10 relay (in the Relay Bank), the score motor's wiper board,
    and the Strike/Spare Step Up Units. If your machine has an 11th Frame Relay, it'll be going
    through a set of contacts there also..

#27 5 years ago

Not having schematics for your exact machine, we'd probably have to do some guessing..
    Okay first, you have checked the contacts. You'll also want to check the solder tabs in the
    1-10 Relay and on the score motor's wiper board. And you're sure the score motor's wiper is making
    good contact with its wiper board?
    Also, I've seen where there was a bad connection in the wiper's hub (center) itself on both
    Step Ups and Score Motor wipers. I took the wiper off, then with a vice grips, I squeezed and
    compressed the wipers hub in 2 or 3 different spots, and that did the trick. Lets try that first..
    Note: The wiper's hub will have a couple doll like material through it. You'll want to squeeze there..

#29 5 years ago

Sure, if you'd like. We need the portion of the 10-90 Relay.
    With the Strike/Spare Step Ups being involved in that circuitry,
    there's a little bit there, but if you can someewhat make it out,
    you can begin jumping when your able to get back on it, but also
    I would check the solder joints and Player Step Up wiper as in
    the last post..
    If you send that portion of the schematic, I'll take a look also..

#32 5 years ago

Yes PB3, the P.S.U.U. (Player-Step-Up-Unit) is an important piece of that circuity.
    What I do is take the wiper off (7/16' wrench) and when in the total reset position,
    hold the gear on the backside by slipping a screwdriver through one of the holes in
    the gear, then take off the 1/4" nut. Be sure that the wiper is mark so it doesn't get
    put back on 180 degrees off. Also be careful that the spring loaded geared axle doesn't
    get pushed through or you'll have to rewind the spring. Not a big deal, but now, most
    likely the spring has the proper amount of tension..
    After the wiper is off, I put a solution (I use carb cleaner) on a piece of Scotch Brite
    and clean the wiper board's rivets. The I put a thin film of light grease (grease with teflon)
    on the wiper board. I also make certain that the spring loaded wipers are free and not
    sticky but putting a couple drops of light oil in each of the spring loaded wiper holes, then
    moving each wiper back and forth. Be careful when putting the wiper back on so that
    the spring loaded gear's axle doesn't push through (unwinding the spring)..
    Your machine's P.S.U.U. only has one wiper board. It's probably on the score reel board,
    but if not, it'll be on the backdoor..
    Cleaning the P.S.U.U. was brought up a few post ago..

Quoted from Mopar:

Had you cleaned the Player Step Up Unit? The wipers in that unit I believe
    may be spring loaded. You'll want to make sure those spring loaded wipers
    move freely and are not sticky, and also that the wiper board is clean (and lubed).
    The scoring (including the strike and spare points), go through the Player Step
    Up Unit..

#37 5 years ago

Okay, good deal. Glad you found it!
    When I go through a machine, I go through everything before I
    plug it in. It fixes many of the what would be problems before
    they become a problem..
    Yes, the 10-90 Relay gets used in all the games..

#39 5 years ago

Because it's doing it on multi-players, I'd first check the 10-90 Score Relay.
    It could be the contacts that energize the 10-90 score reels are too close, or
    also the Relay is pulling in to easily and slightly vibrates when energized/de-energized.
    You might want to twist the long blades in such a way so the Relay pulls in
    a little more stiffly. Once that is done, the small contacts may have to be
    readjusted for proper gap..

#41 5 years ago

Not looking at the schematic, this one's a little tough..
    Does it seem to add the extra 10 points as the Bank is resetting?
    Also, with the machine off, if you carefully watch the wiper as you're
    slowly turning the score motor manually, does it look like maybe one of
    the wiper blades might be slightly touching a wiper board's rivet that
    it shouldn't be touching toward the end of the cycle?

#43 5 years ago

Good deal PBM3. Glad she's working..
    If you end up doing that other one, going through it
    first is a big plus. It takes time, but in the end, regularly
    it's time that is saves.. (T)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1965-united-corral-bowler-won-t-start-game?tu=mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.