IMG_20200315_153544 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200315_153555 (resized).jpg
00I0I_8zg1jmLIuGg_1200x900 (resized).jpg
DSCN0317 (resized).JPG
RB93 (resized).jpg
RB23 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hi Folks..

I have a 1964 Williams San Francisco (https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=2049) that I bought from Chuck in York, PA way back in 1983... it was my first pin and Im going to give it a full restore finally. I have a coin door which is complete but it was painted black. I have it stripped de-rusted and ready for painting again, but Im torn between Battleship Grey or Hammered Grey... or should I use a grey that has a bit of 'glimmer' to it? Silvery? The pic in the IPDB listing is pretty good but it is hard to say what it really should look like.

If anyone has this era game, give me your best guess opinion. Im just lucky that I found a used one on Ebay like 10 years ago!!

thanks for any suggestions!!

Jess

#2 4 years ago

I don't think they were originally painted from the factory. The flyer shows it unpainted, as does my '64 River Boat.
RB23 (resized).jpgRB23 (resized).jpg
RB93 (resized).jpgRB93 (resized).jpg

-Paul

#3 4 years ago

Ahhh.... mine had 3 layers of paint... first a greyish one, then white then black... lots of changes over the years... pretty funny. Thank you for the pics! Im impressed with your restoration of that... looks nice!

Unfortunately mine is pitted/rusted a bit and my bottom trim has been bent by prybar many times in the past it seems. I think I may have to get a new one water jet cut and then my finish will be pretty different due to different material, so in the end I will have to paint. Im also fortunate that my top trim is in pretty good condition. Found this nice looking picture of a restored one with what looks to be hammer finish...

http://www.pinballrescue.net/Images/door_sample_WMS_CD1.jpg

Unfortunately Pinball Rescue is no longer allowed to sell those super sweet decals.

#4 4 years ago

I've never seen another coin door look like the one in that pic. While it looks great I don't think it's original. One of the giveaways is that the 10c and 25c plates are both painted red, and I think they were originally black.

As far as your door trim I'd try to straighten it out with a hammer and dolly (or anvil/vice) before making a new piece. If the stainless isn't torn at all it could be saved with a little work. It's a tricky piece to recreate due to the material, the bends, and the square holes for the carriage bolts.

Mine too was rusted,pitted, and had lots of deep scratches that all came out fairly easily.

Can you post a pic of your door?

-Paul

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from mhavoc:

Ahhh.... mine had 3 layers of paint... first a greyish one, then white then black... lots of changes over the years... pretty funny. Thank you for the pics! Im impressed with your restoration of that... looks nice!
Unfortunately mine is pitted/rusted a bit and my bottom trim has been bent by prybar many times in the past it seems. I think I may have to get a new one water jet cut and then my finish will be pretty different due to different material, so in the end I will have to paint. Im also fortunate that my top trim is in pretty good condition. Found this nice looking picture of a restored one with what looks to be hammer finish...
http://www.pinballrescue.net/Images/door_sample_WMS_CD1.jpg
Unfortunately Pinball Rescue is no longer allowed to sell those super sweet decals.

Williams doors of that vintage had a cheap light chrome finish which wore down pretty quick. You could see the unworn finish around the edge of the door when you opened it. I bead blasted mine and did a hammertone finish.

DSCN0317 (resized).JPGDSCN0317 (resized).JPG00I0I_8zg1jmLIuGg_1200x900 (resized).jpg00I0I_8zg1jmLIuGg_1200x900 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Okay, so a little bit more on this for the archives because I think this is interesting..

First... some of my original door on the San Francisco (first two pics).. you can see that it is both bent up and quite rusty.

The front is black (first pic) and the inside (second pic) is the 'light chrome' but rusted.

The 3rd and 4th pics are of the door I bought off Ebay a few years ago... You can see the front (rusty 3rd pic)... has the remains of paint and the Red Circle painted emblem of this era.

The 4th pic shows the inside of the door I got on Ebay... you can see, that it is not chrome but painted grey (hammered grey).. the old original stickers are over the top of it, so this must be original paint too.

My guess on this is that Williams started painting them grey near the end of the run of this style door maybe? I think the switched the giant behemoth doors in like 1965 or 1966. So, perhaps this door from Ebay is from near that time... looking at the pics on the IPDB over these years, it definitely looks like the originals up through 1964 are the 'thin chrome'.

Something else interesting that maybe someone can weigh in on..

If you notice, the coin mechanism on the back of this door is *exactly* like the Midway coin doors of the late 70's with the same mounting and coin return buttons. Bally pins from the 1970s and 1980s also use the same mech holder bracket, but of course they didn't use the same return button in that configuration, so that part of the bracket is not bent and assembled on Bally pins.

So, it is funny that a coin door design from 1960's Williams games ended up in both Midway Video Games and Bally Pins a decade (and two decades) later. Wonder why... just an abandoned part made by a subcontractor that sold it to future clients maybe?

IMG_20200315_153555 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_153555 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_153544 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_153544 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_153429 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_153429 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_153438 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_153438 (resized).jpg
#7 4 years ago

Also, on my San Francisco, my coin entry plates are chrome with RED paint, not black. So I think the RED is the original?

#8 4 years ago

Colors used on Heatwave

20200316_162026 (resized).jpg20200316_162026 (resized).jpg
3 years later
#9 8 months ago

My San Francisco was definitely chromed originally. I was tempted to paint it as it seems that some may have been, but bit the bullet and had it re-chromed. They also straightened the bent metal from where somebody had tried to break in to the coin box. The chroming was very expensive (approx £500) and took ten weeks but I felt it deserved it and the actual process is very labour intensive so I understand the cost.

20230413_130343 (resized).jpg20230413_130343 (resized).jpgPinball chromed San Francisco 20230627_174142 (resized).jpgPinball chromed San Francisco 20230627_174142 (resized).jpg
#10 8 months ago
Quoted from Pablito350:

I've never seen another coin door look like the one in that pic. While it looks great I don't think it's original. One of the giveaways is that the 10c and 25c plates are both painted red, and I think they were originally black.
As far as your door trim I'd try to straighten it out with a hammer and dolly (or anvil/vice) before making a new piece. If the stainless isn't torn at all it could be saved with a little work. It's a tricky piece to recreate due to the material, the bends, and the square holes for the carriage bolts.
Mine too was rusted,pitted, and had lots of deep scratches that all came out fairly easily.
Can you post a pic of your door?
-Paul

No. That's an original door and coin plates were red.

1 month later
#11 6 months ago

On my UK San Francisco, as a UK export, the coin plates get installed back to front to hide the "cents" marking and a UK 6d (sixpence) plate was nailed to the carcass to indicate cost to play. When I had the re-chroming done earlier this year I had to unbolt the coin plates and they were engraved 10 and 25 cents in red

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1964-williams-san-francisco-coin-door-paint-color and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.