Image 47.jpg
Image 45.jpg
Image 46.jpg
DSCN2075.JPG
DSCN2078.JPG
DSCN2076.JPG
100_4220.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Although Gottlieb and Williams' machines take center stage on this forum, I'm posting some pix, and a video, of a Midway machine. This is a 2 player race car theme and uses two Dinky (made in England) cars in a "running man" type of unit, similar to the type of activity that you'd see in a baseball game.

Coincidentally, I have a few Dinky cars from my son's collection of cars that are similar to the ones in the game. The game uses a blue Ferrari and red Maserati, although any car with a magnetic bottom could be used since the cars advance by an under field magnet.

Interesting turret style shooter to shoot the ball into the desired kickout hole to advance laps. Game is actually hard and the video captured a pretty good play.

Once again, I acknowledge fellow Pinsider Znet, who also has a FT, for his suggestions and guidance prior to my obtaining this game.

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg6.jpg 7.jpg7.jpg 8.jpg8.jpg 9.jpg9.jpg 10.jpg10.jpg 11.jpg11.jpg
#2 9 years ago

That is an absolutely gorgeous example of a Flying Turns. I've been fortunate enough to play a few games on one at the PPM. If I ever found one for sale, it'd be very hard to turn down. Congrats a beautiful machine that's a blast to play. Zoom Zoom

#3 9 years ago

It was actually named after a bobsled style roller coaster at Chicago's Riverview Amusement Park. It was a fun ride!

#4 9 years ago

Daaaammmmmnnnnum!

beautiful. Id love to play one someday

--Jeff

#5 9 years ago

Out of my games it's the one people are most wowed by. It's actually a lot of fun and kids love it.

#6 9 years ago

Nice!

#7 9 years ago

Have not played one since the early 70's on route as a kid. I thought it was cool even back then.

Ken

#8 9 years ago

Beautiful example, would love to add one of these to my collection, but they are very hard to find and pretty pricey.

#9 9 years ago

Great game

Took me 20 years to find one

Now in my collection

#10 9 years ago

Did Russ S. restore this machine for you?

#11 9 years ago

Very nice.

Thanks for sharing all this great info. and pics on this gem.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from ibuypinballs:

Did Russ S. restore this machine for you?

Hi Pete,
No, Russ did not restore this game for me. It was part of a beautiful collection that I got from another collector/restorer. Russ did, however, assist me with the pre-purchase evaluation and assessment and, upon delivery, helped with the setup and fine tuning. He also is providing on going maintenance and technical support for this machine as well as all the others that I have.

Joel

#13 9 years ago

Great looking machine oldcarz. I have one as well, everyone seems to enjoy playing it. I am working my way through a restoration. Here is the current state. I am leaning towards leaving the cab like it is. I know it originally had the splatter black but I do not care for the look myself.

100_4217.JPG100_4217.JPG

100_4220.JPG100_4220.JPG

100_3842.JPG100_3842.JPG

This is what I stared with.

100_3839.JPG100_3839.JPG

All that's left is the playfield work, I need to find someone in the Cleveland area who does playfield touch-up work.

#14 9 years ago

mjenks - Very, very nice! Great job on the cabinet. There's always much discussion in the forums as to "how original" the cabinets should be, but the bottom line is to please yourself, of course. If down the line you want to add a little splatter, I would think it's much easier to add then to try and remove. The clean look is very nice.

Your playfield and glass look excellent and nothing that I see begs for correction.
The area between the flippers where the ball is shot from the turret is worn on every machine that I have ever seen, including mine. Certainly to be expected for a high traffic area. If this is the area you are looking to touch up, it probably will get worn down quickly again.

Dog gone good for 51 years.

Although I have had mine for just a short time, I've been playing it every day and my pinball buddies gave it a serious work out last weekend. No one had seen this game before and all agreed it was a blast to play. They used to play the Official Baseball for 2 player competition, but it seems that they now have a new favorite. You also know that you can replace/rotate the cars in the backbox? As long as it has a metal bottom, as do the Dinky toys, you can change it up. My friends have suggested getting some other cars in different colors or styles (like a modern day corvette, or a military jeep, etc.) that can be "their" car when they come over to play. Of course, the car itself doesn't move on it's own accord, but it sounds like a fun idea.

Good luck with yours!

Joel

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from oldcarz:

mjenks - Very, very nice! Great job on the cabinet. There's always much discussion in the forums as to "how original" the cabinets should be, but the bottom line is to please yourself, of course. If down the line you want to add a little splatter, I would think it's much easier to add then to try and remove. The clean look is very nice.
Your playfield and glass look excellent and nothing that I see begs for correction.
The area between the flippers where the ball is shot from the turret is worn on every machine that I have ever seen, including mine. Certainly to be expected for a high traffic area. If this is the area you are looking to touch up, it probably will get worn down quickly again.
Dog gone good for 51 years.

That's what I figured, no matter what I do it's still better than peach splatter paint. As for the touch-up the blue below, and the black inside the When Lit bugs me a little bit.

#16 9 years ago

I should also mention that you have two other great games. I used to have a Taxi, which was a fun player. I had the Marilyn version and didn't know that it was the "rarer" version until it was long sold off. Haunted House, also, was a game that I also enjoyed. I didn't own it, but it was at a local bar where we used to do shots of B52s and watch Miami Vice on the TV (1984?). Over the years, I sold off my solid state games and am only into pre-1976 now.

#17 9 years ago

Oldcarz...you've done it again! Great looking game!

#18 9 years ago

I am very jealous.
Always wanted to find one of these Midway "Raceway" type pins.

#19 9 years ago

I love Race Way's row of targets. But, Flying Turns has the extra ball feature, the turret shooter and, in my opinion, better placement of kick-out holes and the more appealing playfield and backglass art.
DSCN2076.JPGDSCN2076.JPG
DSCN2075.JPGDSCN2075.JPG
DSCN2078.JPGDSCN2078.JPG
Image 46.jpgImage 46.jpg
Image 45.jpgImage 45.jpg
Image 47.jpgImage 47.jpg
Image 1.jpgImage 1.jpg
Image.jpgImage.jpg
Image 43.jpgImage 43.jpg
Image 3.jpgImage 3.jpg
Image 39.jpgImage 39.jpg
Image 40.jpgImage 40.jpg
Image 2.jpgImage 2.jpg
Image 42.jpgImage 42.jpg
20150129_210229.jpg20150129_210229.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1964-midway-flying-turns and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.